Stem snapping (or nearly snapping) trick when drying

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted some clarification when to tell if your bud is finished drying. Do you test the bending of a branch to see if its nearly dry on a large stem, small stem or a stem somewhere in the middle of the plant?

Thanks!

1 Like

I’ll usually try on a smaller stem to give me an idea.
Bend /break not snap.

2 Likes

Somewhat middle, clearly we’re not drying the trunk of the plant.

But it’s also burned me and made me screen dry for an extra day or so.

So sometimes I’ll test different levels throughout the entire dry area. Then take the ones that seem to be ready to go to cure, thwarting middle and just before the larger colas

3 Likes

thanks for the help!

1 Like

I was always told their ready when little buds snap off easy but the main buds still have decent bend

1 Like

I found this video to provide useful information on the drying process

4 Likes

That video was really helpful! I am interested in the bit where he said he left the fan leaves on to slow the dry. I will be drying in a shed in a very hot australian summer and last grow they dried way to fast and unfortunately i cannot dry inside. I do have a fan running in the shed to help air flow.

Should i just cut the whole plant at the base stem and do a dry trim instead of wet or it doesnt make to much of a difference?

I’m sure you are up on drying process, drying to fast can ruin your smoke.honest it doesn’t matter if cut the plant st the trunk and hang the whole plant to dry.the main thing is not dry out 3 or 4 days.ide wash your plant by adding some peroxide to water…help the taste and cleans your plant.theres video for you to watch.
I cut my big colas hang them upside dow with cloths pin.rest of the plant upside down.
If you could get your humidity right and temp right it should take at least 10 days to dry it out correctly…and I know if you cant di inside it’s hard to control…I leave mine hanging in the woods upside down with a huge trash bag,both ends cut out…when you hang it up.it look like you put shirt on a hanger and hang it in your closet…good luck on your drying process…ain’t it winter there burp?

1 Like

Tough conditions to obtain a slow dry. I like @Raysvols69 suggestion about a bud wash. It is straight forward. I just did it last time. Wash is 1 cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide in 5 gallons of water. Then rinse in another bucket of plain water.
The larger you leave the plant the slower the process will be. The current plant I have drying was cut leaving all of the large stems in tact with only the largest fan leaves removed. I am trying for an 8 day dry but then again I can control the temperatures to 65 - 70 F. The one before took 6 days but It was cut down smaller. Anything you can do to reduce temp will help. Indirect air movement to prevent mold. Good luck

2 Likes

Your dead on beardless your info is as good as they are going to get.:ok_hand:

2 Likes

Awesome thanks for your adive! Yes we are in winter at the moment, Im starting an auto at the start of next month which will be spring and because of the short flowering the heat isnt too bad yet so the drying process won’t be to bad but my next grow after will be leading into summer which is when ill try your way :slight_smile: