Hi @Majiktoker. I’ve given some serious thought to experimenting with varieties, with experimentation attempting to exploit my grow space in 2 distinct manners.
I mentioned in a previous thread that I’ve got a stealth garden on my balcony, with honeysuckle, rosemary, snap peas, sunflowers, strawberries, lavender, basil, catnip, cilantro, wild grasses, ivy… you get the pic.
The goal was to create a wall of green with which to camouflage my actual grow, and to create a beautiful garden space to just chill out and enjoy, which also gives me a reason for being out there on the tiny balcony with all my gardening tools, without drawing attention to what I’m actually doing.
So in order to exploit this unique space, I came up with 2 new possible plans:
1 - I’ve got about a 1/2 dozen window boxes along the tops and bottoms of the railings, and I thought I might try interspersing a ruderalis hybrid like lowryder in between the plants in the planter. If I select complimentary foliage structure for the companion/camouflaging plants, I could probably get a nice little yield (at the expense of irritating my messed up lower vertebrea) .
The other idea was…
2 - Get an absolute BEAST variety, plant it in the eastern corner of the balcony, about 18" off of the ground, then LST it through the deck railing from east to west (which gets outstanding sun) and actually physically weave my honeysuckle vines, snap peas, and other aggressive climbers all around it (being careful to selectively prune the complimentary plants where necessary to allow light penetration where it matters most. This plan would also wreck havoc on my lower back injury, but it’s likely my best shot for producing a pound from a single plant, which is one of the items on my ‘grower’s bucket list’ (didn’t realize that I actually had one of these until I typed that just now .
PS. you can actually see my girl directly behind the blue chair, but this picture is about 2 weeks old and she’s filled in significantly since then. The plant slightly to the left was from the same seed stock started at the same time, but there was some root damage during planting (thanks to a pot crazed crow) and that single incident has crippled that plant’s ability to produce a significant yield. Once I stopped wanting to strangle that crow for messing with my grow, I realized that I actually got some incredible insight from that experience - transplanting autos should be done with care and as infrequently as is possible. They don’t handle the shock well, and because they are on a set flowering schedule, they don’t have time to recover if they do happen to experience transplant shock.