Starting up beginner style

Hello everyone, i am really new to this so help in any way is a bonus to me :slight_smile: Have a 1.2mtr x 1.2mtr x 2mtr grow tent, will be growing in soil, i feel like i should ask one question at a time and let it sink in before moving onto the next question.
Need help first with lights Led have shaved it down to two HLG 260 kits v2 will this suffice? i was looking at one HLG 550 V2 but thought the 260s would be a bit more versatile.
The only experience i have in growing is fungus gnats, got them beat atm.
Oh sorry i am in Australia and cannot keep from drooling seeing what you have available in the USA, the tent size above is in metric so conversion is 4ft x 4ft x 6ft 7 inch

thanks in advance

1 Like

I prefer separate fixtures also so I can move them into separate spaces if needed or raise and lower according to plant height. Just my .02. I run 3 HLG 135’s and am quite happy.

1 Like

The material at this link is great. Download the grow bible, its not an overwhelming read and tons of good tips. I don’t have the HLG lights, but folks on this site sure do love them and they know what they are doing.

1 Like

Thanks all for the input, have downloaded the book, but to tell you the truth i have a terrible short attention span and thrive on actual chat from others, it seems that i need everything confirmed somewhat, i have been on other forums and have not been that comfortable, but here seems diff everything i have read gives out positives instead of confusion.
thanks again to everyone on this forum…something special going on here :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m running 2 HLG 260 XLs in my 4x4 tent and they are amazing. Currently set at 150w each and my plants look great. I bought 2 fixtures for the flexibility and I couldn’t be happier.

8 Likes

Good on ya mate, affirmed with photos, made my day :sunny: i noted what i think is a fan on top of a plantpot, and a hanging thing which i guess is a temp/humid gauge, any info on your setup would be a huge bonus looking at your spectacular plants green thumb for sure, is the wattage adjustment on the lights easy to access and adjustable by increments ?

Thanks heaps for the replys and help, will reciprocate when i can.

1 Like

I have a small oscillating fan on a plant pot that blows air under the canopy. The temp/Rh probe hangs at canopy height so I can monitor the environment without opening the tent. I also have 2 clip fans running (not shown) that circulate air across the top of the canopy.

The wattage adjustment/dimmer is under the small rubber plug on the top of the driver. It is adjusted with a Phillips screwdriver but is not incremental. I just purchased a wattage meter for $30 so I can set the wattage. That’s the only drawback to these lights but for the price, it’s a minor inconvenience.

1 Like

Could you please explain the wattage meter, does the light plug into it at the wall, once you have made an adjustment with a screwdriver to tell you the new wattage?
Also any info on distances from the plants! and how young/age are the plants when you put them under these lights, again thanks in advance not used to this much help.

1 Like

@Hungrybud
You are correct with the wattage meter. Plug the light into the meter and the meter into the wall. I adjust the wattage and then take the meter off. I have to adjust the lights separately. Lights are set at 150w and set about 22" from the tops of the plants. I started my seeds in 4" seedling pots under a 120w (actual) chinese led. I put them under the Quantums after transplant (I think about 5 weeks). I have a grow journal if you’d like to see the entire process

Hmm the lights look diff to the ones in Australia, the length of you board is a lot longer, there is no gap between the boards on the heatsink, note the size below only 600mm long just under 2ft oh and thanks heaps for the link in to your other info, if thats what you call it.
QB288 V2- 288pcs Samsung 301B

INCLUDES

2x QB288 Boards made by Samsung with 301B LED
1x Slate 2 Double Predrilled 600mm Heatsink
Meanwell ELG-240H LED Driver. 93.5% Driver Efficiency. Boards should be wired in series with the driver for maximum output
6FT Nema 5-15P 16/3 SJTW NA Power Cord or equivalent for standard 120VAC with cable connector
2ft solid core Wire, 2x Wago Connectors for DC wiring
Hanger Clips

Lamp Efficacy with QB 288 V2 2.47 µmol/J , 170Lm/W
Board Level Efficacy with QB 288 V2 2.63 µmol/J , 181Lm/W

1 Like

My model is the XL. The heat sinks are longer and will actually accommodate 3 boards each but my driver won’t support 3. The boards are 288 v2 in 3000k spectrum. I bought them from Growers lights.

Thats when my drooling comes back as to all the choice you have in the states, so virtually the same exept for the longer xl heatsinc, so no problems.
You have saved me so much downtime with all the info on your grows, your method of germination has it been nearly 100% and have you found some strains of seeds harder than others for germination?

Thanks heaps mate a very ordinary week turned around with kindness.

1 Like

Bear in mind, this is only my 3rd grow but I have had 100% success with germination. I’ve only grown 9 plants total but have not had any problems. 7 of the 9 are ILGM genetics. The Super Silver Haze is the only one that gave me any issues and she has lagged behind from the start but it did germinate and is growing nicely.

Are these lights ok to run off a multiplug extension?

cheers

I’m running them on this
https://www.amazon.com/Century-Outlet-Protector-Mechanical-Outlets/dp/B00MWHQZX0/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541475091&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=timer+power+strip&psc=1

1 Like

Ok i have some Hydrogen peroxide here, it states 20 volume 6% W/V how many drops into how much water?
Have some white widow extreme and M.O.A.B seeds to start, any help would be appreciated as always.

cheers

1 Like

I use an oz. of dechlorinated water with 1 or 2 drops of H2O2. I also shake each seed in a scuffer for a few seconds before dropping in the water.

It’s a small plastic container with some 100 grit sandpaper in it, grit side in.

Thanks heaps again, one has sprouted but still has his hat on, any technique to get the shell off its head?
Also the HLG 288 v2 is not in stock :frowning: so whats your opinion on the HLG 300 v2 ? tried to source power lead with timer, nothing in OZ :frowning: Oh and what strength is your H202
Just wondering how you copy members in on a discussion?

cheers

1 Like

To tag members put @ in front of their username @Hungrybud. As far as your seed husk goes, I mist the shell to hopefully loosen it up then VERY carefully try to coax the shell off with tweezers.

When it comes to your light choice, I need to get @dbrn32 over here to help. He helped me make the right choice. @dbrn32 check the post above. :arrow_up:

1 Like

Thank you, yes the member you have mentioned is the one i was wanting to look at the HGL i am interested in,
just for a comparison with the HGL 288 v2 to the HGL 300 v2. But you gave me confirmation on the Manufacturer, now just want the model. Did you know the strength of your H202? Dislodged the husk thanks for the tip :slight_smile:

thanks again

1 Like