Starting and Transplanting

I learned from a gardening magazine that should help a lot of folks in starting their MJ gardens. I start my grow under controlled conditions and transfer seedlings without disturbing their fragile root system. Save those thin tubes from your toilet paper rolls, buy a small cupcake pan and potting soil mix. The thin tubes are 10cm, so cut each in half. Cut open the tube, adjust circumference to fit within the cupcake pan, and single tape to hold that shape. Fill the cut 5cm rolls with moist potting soil. Place upright in the cupcake pan . You are now ready to place seeds in each of the tubes. Water as needed to keep the soil moist. When seeds sprout, ease up on the water a bit. The open bottom and taped side of the tube will allow excess water out, so you won’t over water the seeds and young plants. Transplant the entire tube with plant when the seedling is around 2cm tall. The tube casing can be carefully removed when the plant is around 5cm tall after cutting the tape. I get excellent yields using this method due to very little disturbance of the root and seedling.

3 Likes

u can also use this method with any cup/pot,
just cut the bottom off, then slice right up the side,
tape back together and wallah, a removable pot.!

seems like a lot of extra work tho,
i start with 3 oz (300ml) cups, when they need watering more then once a day i pot up into 20 oz solo cups, i use flood to drought watering until they need watered every day then pot up again into 1 gal (4 liter) pots…
by simply waiting for the roots to fill the container they transplant with no stress.!

Misty Kush, Ice, Critical CBD seedlings almost ready to transplant, i think these went 2 or 3 days longer and then into the solo cups…
WIN_20181130_10_52_20_Pro

3 Likes

Looks like you would need to remove the soil and plant entirely from the cup to transplant it due to the taper of the cup. Apparently, your soil is moist enough and roots sufficient to hold the soil together during the transplanting.

1 Like

I do something similar to what @SlowOldGuy mentions - four slices down the sides of a solocup and to about 1/2" of the center of the bottom. I add a piece of tape around the circumference of the top. After a bout a week out of the ground, i carefully rip the tape at each slice and the soil slides nicely into its next pot while minimizing any touching of the roots.

1 Like

@SlowOldGuy i really like this, not the part about the cups but about how you do your seedlings strategy. i have also started using your flood/drought strategy on my seedlings in pellets because of lack of humidity and feel lots more comfortable with what i see now.

1 Like