Started my veg hydroponic system today

Will they drown in one day?

1 Like

Was I supposed to fish the roots down through the pot?

1 Like

Iā€™ve never transplanted from a net pot to another net pot but yes, the roots should be hanging down below the bottom of the pot and into the reservoir.

I donā€™t know if they can drown in a day. It sounds like the air roots might still be exposed? Iā€™m a little unsure of how you set your roots into the new pots.

They can - but yours are pretty far along so they might make it. If Hellraiser helped you - Iā€™d wait for him. But the typical set up is the tap root goes into the water through bottom of cup (carefully) - and then the clay pebbles/wet fill it in. The water line in grow vessel is usually at least 2 inches below the plastic pots. Think of it this way - those roots need air and water and if the water is too high and the leaves droop - they are probably drowningā€¦

2 Likes

A lot of folks that use neoprene collars will cut the bottom of the net pots out so you can hang the roots down through it.

If your water level stays that high, you will stand a chance of them drowning. If you notice your leaves drooping, youā€™ll need to drop your water level like mentioned above :+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

4 Likes

These guys have you covered, @HappyHydroGrower is growing in the similar setup right now with amazing results.

Donā€™t Cory & Trevor it up, do it right like bubbles would.
Haha

Your roots looks really good, so yeah adjust your level. Remeber that hydro plants react very fast its a blessing and a curse all at onceā€¦

5 Likes

Fixed. About 1.5 inches below net pots. Fished roots through.

1 Like

Sweet, nice roots!

1 Like

How do you guys keep the roots out of the drains? I can see that will be an issue for me

Kitchen strainer metal mesh covering the return water line. It will still clog. Consider 1.5 inch PVC return - mine has never clogged with that size even without a strainer cover to the water return to your reservoir.

1 Like

Lots of space. I have about 10 inches between each distinct reservoir (3 five gallon buckets with 10 inches of pipe between each) and no plant in the final bucket so roots donā€™t get sucked up by the pump.

1 Like

I have a 2 inch pvc drain now.

no worries at all, then. Does that smaller black hose connect to grow vessels where roots can get to it? That is the one to watch for cloggingā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve got a little foam on the top of the water in my reservoir. Is this normal?

Color of foam?

Do you have a chiller going yet?

It was not uncommon for my res to develop a ā€œfilmā€ and then a ā€œfoamā€ and then ā€œscumā€ before I installed the chiller. Now my res foams up (but like big bubbles) when I add Recharge but it goes away within a day.

1 Like

It is stark white. Not much, and I know that some nute solutions can foam with air stones.

No chiller yet. My water has been holding at 70Ā° with an air temp of 77Ā°

1 Like

I canā€™t say Iā€™ve noticed my Jackā€™s frothing but I also canā€™t honestly say Iā€™ve looked. I just throw the nutes in and keep on keeping on. :rofl:

1 Like

Might just be the air stones doing their job. Keep an eye on it and if it gets thicker (take a pic now and 24 hrs later) - you might have a bacteria bloom. Do a search for beneficial bacteria or fungi to add to your feedings. I doā€¦ If your temps get too high. Freeze some clean coke plastic bottles and add to the reservoir to hold temps down.

2 Likes

Foam is all gone. Good.
Water temp holds at a steady 70Ā°f
Tent air temp at 75Ā°f
Humidity is around 45-50%
Ph floats between 5.77 and 5.84. I adjust accordingly once a day.
Ppm is at 1230. It has come down some, but they are small yet.

Seems to be going well.

Pictures from today:

Picture from 6 days ago.

2 Likes

Most of them look very good - leaves perkyā€¦ When you open the grow vessels - is there a lot of bubbles? They still look like they could use some more oxygen. Consider adding more air power if the water is not heavily bubbling all over. Or the water level is too highā€¦ If neither is a problem - maybe a little more light or closer to them?