Start using DLI

Are you talking about the lux meter app or photone with the diffuser? The lux meter app you don’t use the diffuser.

4 Likes

That’s probably why lol, yeah I’ll stick with the lux meter app, no diffuser.

4 Likes

Did you average the intensity for your space? This is what most people miss. Grabbing a reading directly under light and plugging into calculator doesn’t give you the dli for your space. Ppfd is photosynthetic photon flux density. That means total amount of radiometric light energy per square meter.

In short, things like raising and lowering a light don’t really change dli because there’s no more or less light going into the space. It could maybe change a little if light was too high to begin with, but just because more light would be bouncing off of walls or lost to spill off of canopy in the open.

In order to get a dli of 194 on 18 hour schedule you would need a total ppf of at least 3000 umols/s in 39"x39" space. 3000 umols/s is 1.5x de gavita pro 1000’s, or two hlg-600r’s at full power.

5 Likes

I appreciate everyone’s help but a lot of this is over my head to be honest with you. Yes I did the average the first time with the Photone app , then I seen it already had a setting just for DLI so I just ran with that instead of all the math.
And yes I have it set for my light LED full spectrum
This last time I did the DLI outside with full sun at 12 noon. But now I see I did not reset the source for sun, it was still on my light LED full spectrum. That could be part of the problem, now the sun is down LOL.
But that still doesn’t answer the question why the flux readings were so far off between the the 2 apps ???

5 Likes

Did you still have your diffuser on when using the lux app?

6 Likes

This the reason I don’t use any of them, and if anyone asks which I recommend the answer is none of them. There is no baseline for accuracy that would justify me putting the effort into finding the ppfd average for my space with a smartphone and app. Some people have a lot more time and energy though, and you can gain some knowledge from doing so.

4 Likes

I didn’t put much merit into them until I tested the photone app (used to be called korona) next to an apogee 500. We ran them side by side under a fluence spydr and the readings were very close from everywhere we checked under the light. Not something I’d do light reviews or create par maps with but it’s in the ballpark for what we’d use it for.

4 Likes

Need online Apogee meter rental service, rent meter, dial in phone and app, return meter.

5 Likes

I believe it. But you also don’t know degree of accuracy with changing light source and settings. You can get close simply by knowing what ppf of light is.

2 Likes

True dat

2 Likes

Still don’t use ph or ec, tds , will eventually get there too -.-

I’ll be damned, Apogee meter rental - Google Search

Any of these the right equipment?

2 Likes

What light are you trying to measure? Depending on wavelengths emitted some will be more accurate than others.

2 Likes

No I didnt

1 Like

ROI-e680.
I go for chemo in the am. I should be ok I will check back tomorrow and hopefully be back at it Thursday. Thanks again for all the help.
Not giving up yet.

3 Likes

That’s why. Don’t use the diffuser with the lux pro app

*Edit: wait sorry, read that wrong. Seems like there’s an issue with your front camera to get that odd of readings.

3 Likes

Ppf on that light is listed in excess of 1700 umols/s. In a 5x5 the theoretical ppfd average is roughly 740 umols/s/m² at full power. In a 4x4 the theoretical ppfd average is roughly 1140 umols/s/m2. In reality measuring out in highly reflective tent or similar that’s clean would probably come in slightly less than that. But for what you’re doing, I would feel plenty comfortable using those numbers.

Remember that dimming is not linear also. At half power you would likely only see around 40% less light. When current drops the junction temps also drop combining to increase the electrical efficiency of the led modules.

3 Likes

Am I on the right track??

Looks
Like I have to dial it
Back or raise the light
Before I left the house this morning I cranked it up to 100% at 18 inches above canopy??

2 Likes

Ya. You should be able to veg with that fixture 50-60% power in 4x4.

3 Likes

My head hurts!

4 Likes