Start using DLI

My DLI is 38.8 in veg (18/6) and 43.2 in flower (12/12).

15 Likes

Must add a little light horsepower during flower. Drop hours 1/3 yet increase DLI. With all of the light you throw in there I would think the DLI might be higher.

4 Likes

If you have a phone with a great camera, the korona app (with a paper light diffuser) is very close to the $500 apogee meters. I tested the app next to, I believe, an apogee 500. And I can remember the exact numbers but they were close enough for what we need. So I take the average ppfd and plug it in to this equation to calculate DLI

PPFD x (3600 x light hours)/ 1,000,000 = DLI

14 Likes

I give about 600 umols in veg and about 1000 umols in flowering. I only use 220 watts at most in veg and have about 800 watts on tap in flowering but keep it down to around 600 watts which still gives me over 1000 umols in the center of the canopy and just slightly less at the corners and edges, my lights are setup for wall to wall and corner to corner coverage.

I could easily get DLI over 60 in flower if I wanted to with my flowering lights but without additional CO2 I don’t see much point in going over 1000 umols.

19 Likes

Yeah I can see that :sunny: :sunglasses: :sunny:

6 Likes

Yeah, its his fault, just like its his fault I slept with that ugly girl that night…

9 Likes

Caught this while at work, grabbing the app and will do some work for you tomorrow when it’s lights on

6 Likes

What is your light height at these numbers?

5 Likes

The HLG panels, Now it’s a 650S Slim all 3 spectrum is dimmable and I think the umols\j is 4 or 4.5 I think :thinking:, I could of been high :up:, so don’t hold me to that, but " Curtilux " has one to that’s unfolds for a 4x4 or 5x5 tent which is rated 3.5 umols\j for $500 less than the HLG models, I think it’s $799 and the 650S Slim Optic is $1299 if I saw that right a few months back, I be trying to keep up. I here great praises on the HLG , are they better then Gavita ?

5 Likes

@Nicky dunno how accurate the app is but it’s looking around 45 DLI on canopy and around 35-38 right on the front edge. This lets me know I should move light forward a few inches to keep an even spread…

I’ll get more readings after harvest and I can access the rest of the area

4 Likes

Edit my numbers are flawed…I set app for 12/12 not 10/14… probably getting closer to 30-35 dli on center

Which leads me to believe by reducing the hours of light weekly by 15 mins during flowering we can dial in that 45-60 dli to start with reduction to 30-45 by the end… further data readings will be needed to confirm this hypothesis

3 Likes

My lights are about 28" above the canopy.

5 Likes

Depends, HLG comes out a new light and it’s the best/most efficient for a while, then ChilLED puts out a new light and it’s best for a while, same for Gavita. I feel HLG is probably the best for it’s price, anything even marginally better usually costs quite a bit more.

I’m still very happy with my HLG lights (550 rspec and 260 rspec, many 135 rspecs and bspecs) and don’t see any reason to upgrade for a while, unless something much better comes out.

8 Likes

What app are you using for your DLI?
Is it set to the right spectrum for your boards? Your running HLG’s so I would think doing the DLI calculations after taking your own lux and inputting it into HLG’s lux to PPFD calculator would be more accurate

4 Likes

It would be but then I also have to adjust it for my crazy light schedule :wink:

Some free lux app on iOS, can annoying recommend a decent one?

2 Likes

@PharmerBob

4 Likes

@PharmerBob

I used the top one with the pink and blue light with the circle, it has lux, it has ppfd\dli and it has a pull down option for what type of lights and it’s every type of model on market and how many hour intervals, which I think it’s cool and very resourceful .

5 Likes

They really need new spectrum options in these drop down menus for those of us with reds.
3500k + 690nm.

@PharmerBob your crazy light scedule?
You just add the total number of hours the lights are on in a 24hr period…

@yoshi unless that app has an option I’m not seeing for the reds and 3k/3.5k?

1 Like

Photone… mine has a full spec led tab but not specific for rspec hlg

1 Like

Alright so I googled the best ones and then used measurements from both to get the most accurate pic readings I could. Took that to hogs site and used their automated calculators and here we are

1161 Ppfd for 10 hours a day

41.8 dli

As I reduce to 9 hours in the next few weeks it will bring that down to 37.6 dli in late flower

2 Likes