Start using DLI

Orange pot is the forbidden runtz

1 Like

It’s early brother. Your plants look great! Mine are 45 days old from sprout.

1 Like

Thank you bro! Mannn I can’t wait until mine are that age I’m so impatient when it’s in veg stage :rofl: once it hits flower in like yeahhhhhh final stretch…… ish :clap:t2::pray:t2:

1 Like

You’ll get to try yours before I do I’d imagine so keep me updated on the grow and how it tastes :wink:

1 Like

They’ll get there brother. Mine finally started flowering on Friday. 2 of my dark devil started flowering 2 weeks ago :man_shrugging::joy:

Pic of dark devil

I’m really impatient myself. I did stay discipline on the 4x8. Man that was a loooong time lol. This friday is finally chop day.

5 Likes

I sure will brother. Here’s my journal :call_me_hand:

1 Like

Hahaha she looks gorgeous! Dark devil sounds like something that’ll knock you flat out :rofl:

Perfect I’ll jump in and set myself to watching right now :pray:t2:

1 Like

@Nicky I love that you emphasize reading your plants and watching your node spacing! Anyone that shares this should always emphasize node spacing, especially to a newbie! I wanted to do dial in everything that i could control in my plants development, however now im struggling with my short stuby plants. I do know that plant gentics play a huge role in the outcome but that small observations imo would result in better outcome. Live and learn!

3 Likes

I’m having this issue with one of my autos. She’s so short and bushy atm she’s a nightmare to LST :rofl: I have a feeling she’s starting to go through a stretch now though so :crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

I just checked Photone against my Apogee meter with my iPhone 13 Pro Max w/diffuser. Set on Sun Direct. It was reading exactly 50 ppfd below the Apogee on a 400 ppfd grow in veg and a grow in flower thats at 940 ppfd both under HLG lights. This is a massive improvement over what I was getting a while back where the iPhone was reading 200 ppfd low. Photone is still not holding calibration right. Calibrate Photone to the Apogee and it reads perfect like before. But soon as you reboot the phone calibration is gone. I also HAVE to take my iPhone out of it’s case or it will read 200 ppfd high. The small lip on the front of the Spigen case will keep the diffuser lifted high enough off the front of the phone to completely fubar the measurement. The diffuser is hard to keep on my phone because I run a front and back glass protector and the phone is sealed up with Carpro Ceramic paint protector so it’s kept in new condition at all times and fully protected. And very slick when not in a case. I haven’t checked it with the wifes Ultra 22 but in the past it always read 200 ppfd high. I checked my update logs and I don’t see where there has been a update for Photone and I did by a the complete version of the app. So maybe they pushed a update out to so called Pro users. But if that did indeed happen that is kind of a pisser because I don’t want company’s pushing updates to my computer, phones, tv’s, ect. ect. without me not knowing or having the option to decline. I just took a break from this post and checked with the Ultra 22 and it’s still reading 200 ppfd high. Good Luck!

4 Likes

Glad this is staying a helpful and active discussion. Don’t forget to ensure you have liked the main post please

6 Likes

Your posts are always so intense. I have to read them several times.

2 Likes

Probably because I lack proper Grammer when typing away on my phone lol!

3 Likes

Nah, it’s because there’s so much information!

6 Likes

Your forbidden runtz showing any colours brother? @The_Chef i got some reddish deep purple colours coming through :sunglasses: I hope it carries on like that :rofl:

4 Likes

Curious as I’m a newbie and have been using DLI but ifnd so much conflicting info. Listening to Growcast they had Dr Coco on and he was Explaining DLI isnot for canmabis and should use ppdf instead. He was saying how th eppfd is per second and what you go by because you cannot give them too much etc something along those lines. I’m new to it and whatever he was saying made sense. The episode has DLI in name if you are curious but I’m curious as to who’s right lol @Nicky

1 Like

Look for anything from Dr. Bruce Bugbee. He is one of the top people in the field, and is the founder (IIRC) of Apogee Instruments.

7 Likes

And this chart shows the direct relationship between DLI and PPFD.

7 Likes

I watched the video and I may be mks interpreting it as someone new to this. He never said use dli not ppdf he just explained dli. The way I heard it is you can use dli as well but ppdf will work as well since they correlate with one another. If your ppdf is In proper spot your dli theoretically anyways should be as well? I’m still using DLI because it’s worked so far but comparing my ppdf as well if I only checked that both levels are good so why use dli since my ppdf is where it should be and vice versa if that makes sense. IE: I adjust my ppdf to whatever chart suggest. I use that but then find out nsout DLI I check that and it’s where it should be and all I checked and adjusted was my ppdf
I just want to understand why I should use dli instead of ppdf. I think what Dr Coco was saying was its not necessarily needed since we can go off of ppdf. I want to have definite answer so I can send to Growcast and have them do a new update dpodcast saying why DLI is the way to go.

The point is they are two different ways of measuring the same thing. PPFD is the amount of photons per second, and DLI is the total amount of photons in the course of a day’s worth of the lights on time…

Picture this…

PPFD of 1000 for 12 hours per day = DLI of 43.2.
PPFD of 1000 for 18 hours per day = DLI of 64.8.

8 Likes