Start training as a SCROG plants

Ok I’m thinking it’s time to start Scrogging my plants. These two pictures are of the same plant. Just one is zoomed in with a black circle around the center and the other is the whole plant.

So do I cut out the center part of the plant to start training before it’s to late?

3 Likes

@MrPeat I’m a Virgin at scrog but I am thinking about doing it next grow around Christmas are you going to be documenting this whole the because I would love to watch that unfold! Good luck with you grow the plants look great!

@OU812 Absolutely I will be doing a Journal update so if I am doing it wrong, I can get feed back…whether good or bad. I’ve never done a Scrog so I want to make sure I’m on the correct path.

3 Likes

@MrPeat awesome set to watching!!

Yes , you want to top it right where you circled…
And every 3 to 6 days , depending on how fast its growing , you want to top every new node just the same way , until you have a bush… :+1::wink:
:v::sunglasses:

6 Likes

@peachfuzz Thanks for the info. I’ll start that tomorrow as a tablespoon of my Cannabutter is kicking in.

4 Likes

Would it be better to cut the leaf spot off during the dark side or better when the lights are on?

2 Likes

That doesn’t matter…
Better when lights are on so you can see what your doing…:wink::+1:

6 Likes

Thanks for the reply @peachfuzz. Appreciate the help so I know two plants are getting a little cut tonight. :+1:

3 Likes

I normally wait until the plant is 12" or so before my first topping. I also try to FIM instead of top but it often doesn’t work. (Topping creates two tops, FIM’ing does 4) When I install the plant in the screen I orient it so the four tops are on the diagonal and weave them out to the edges.

Doing a bunch of topping is at your discretion but isn’t really necessary beyond that first one IMO as the branches laid down will produce their own tops. What you do need to consider is too much canopy with respect to the root ball can unbalance the plant and it won’t thrive (too much canopy and too little roots)

5 Likes

I go crazy topping…
From seed I wait till 3rd node…
From clone , as soon as I see roots…
Look at these little bushes…

4 Likes

I scrogg and clone , so I want as much material to work with as possible …:wink::+1:

3 Likes

Thanks for the replies @peachfuzz and @Myfriendis410. I will have 4 plants to play with this time.

3 Likes

I think the bottom line is; use the screen in a manner that works for you. I certainly don’t fill my screen in a traditional manner: more using the screen as a spreader, but there are any number of branches lying horizontally to produce a (more or less) even canopy.

5 Likes

I’m somewhere in between @peachfuzz and @Myfriendis410. I top at the 5th node, leaving 3 nodes. Then depending on how those 6 main branches are growing, I might top those to make 12 ‘mains’. It just depends on how bushy the plant wants to get on its own. I shoot for filling the screen with as little topping as possible. Each time you top, it might stall the plant a little, too. That could affect your veg time, as well as your final yield if you have space and time constraints. They’re pretty flexible plants, and will do pretty much what you want them to do. As long as you give them time to do so and speak their language.

3 Likes

So updated photos…two are getting close to chop the top.

2 Likes

I got the pvc to start building for Scrog and the support for my Beast, GSC.

2 Likes

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. So many cleaver ideas to take advantage of.

1 Like

@merlin44 I won’t be copying others. I did 5 years of Drafting and also Technical Drafting. So it will be a very entertaining thing I will be embarking on. I’ll probably pick up some more pvc as my Beast will also need the extra to grab onto.

2 Likes

You misunderstood, I am always looking for ideas to copy. I am sure that yours will be worthy of being copied.

2 Likes