Sprouts stringy and seem to have slow growth

Well, it has been 3 weeks and out of 3 seeds I managed to kill one (all seeds sprouted, but after putting them in soil only 2 came out). My question isc is it normal that at almost 4 weeks these plants look barely 6 inches tall and kind of flimsy (I had to support them with sticks). Currently I’m using an 18h schedule with a 120W blue grow light. I had gnats (small flies) initially, but now eradicated them with some powder I got at the store. My question is there something wrong that I’m doing as growth seems very slow (I water a little daily).

The gnats is a sign you are probably over watering which can stress and slow growth in the plant. The soil/growing medium needs to almost totally dry out between watering. Get a moisture probe or get used to the “feel” weight of a very wet saturated soil and the feel for when it is pretty much totally dry and this will help you avoid over watering, only water when the weight is noticeably lighter. Watch the plants as well for any droopiness in the leaves that will appear at the first signs of need to be watered again.

120 watt blue grow light? What type? 120 watt fluorescent with a 6500k “blue shifted spectrum” or 120 watt HID MH with “blue shifted spectrum”? It will make a huge difference. Often tall stringy plants are not getting enough or intense enough light and maybe the light needs to be put much closer to the plants. Also a light breeze from a small fan will help the stems develop some rigidity and thickness.

Here are the specs for the light:

PRODUCT OVERVIEW
Model # 415307
Store SKU # 153530

The Philips 120-Watt BR40 Agro Plant Flood Light Bulb provides a light similar to natural daylight to promote healthy plant growth where daylight is not readily available. This 120-watt bulb is great for use indoors and is rated for a life of 2,000 hours.

Brightness: 270 lumens
Estimated Yearly Energy Cost: $14.45 (Based on 3 hrs/day, 11c/kwh. Costs depend on rates and use.)
Life: 1.8 years (Based on 3 hrs/day)
Light Appearance: 2700K (Soft White)
Energy used: 120 watts
Lumens per watt: 2.3
Uses 0% less energy compared to a standard incandescent light bulb
Promotes healthy plant growth
Ideal for where natural light is not available
Medium Base
Note: Product may vary by store.

Light is about few feet over the plants.

Yikes! I haven’t seen one of those in ages. It is as inefficient for providing light as the old incandescent lights are, although it is a little better for the plant than a regular 120 watt incandescent light. This type of light will only be good for one small plant or a few seedlings very close together, in the long run you are only going to light about one square foot with that light. You can keep using it for the first week of a seedling’s life but you are going to need to get more lights and or better lights, even one 45 watt 6500K CFL would be better for the plants than this light. Sorry.

Thanks, I’ll try to get different lights.

Keep it for germination, it’s cheaper than a seedling heat mat and can do as good a job, just don’t get it too close to the seeds’ surface of the soil or growing medium and as soon as they pop above the surface of the soil or growing medium put them in a fluorescent lit nursery.

Check out these links to give you some ideas about lights:

http://www.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/community/topic/cfl-grow-rooms/

http://www.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/community/topic/marijuana-grow-shed/#post-19998

If you are going to grow only 2 plants. You might want to check into an Ipower 400watt switchable ballast light system. You get everything for around 120 bucks, on ebay. It switches from 200w - 300w - 499w (full power) it runs both metal Halide and High Pressure sodium lamps (comes with one of each). Has a hood, 2 hangers, long chord. Very quiet and efficient. All you need for a 1-4 plant grow. Especially nice for beginners. I have had mine for 1-.5 years so far, and love it.

FYI: I won these:
100 watt HPS Hortilux system
1000 watt MH system Sunmater warm
400 watt highbay MH Sunmaster warm
250 watt Diamond hps Agro T bulb
400 watt Ipower d
several fluorescent 4’ units, and several cfl’s.

I have experimented with all for 8 years. Have fun shopping. :slight_smile:

Thank you for the answers, I will probably have to get a kit for around $100+ as per latewood since I’m killing my grow. I just bought another CFL light which is max I could buy at 68w (300w equivalent), but plants look really flimsy and just fall flat. Only one plant seems stronger, the other one is so flimsy that I had to dig it out and then put it back in so it wouldn’t break.

As for Ipower system you would chose 600W light with HPS only, but I’m a bit confused if it includes a timer as if I"m away it would be great.

You won’t see an improvement this soon with the improvement in the light. 400 watt and 600 watt HIDs might be overkill and not necessary depending on how you want to grow, how big you want the plants to get and how much room you have over all. A lot of this type of information is in the links I gave you above.

The space I would say is roughly at least 2’x2’ square with about 8’ height where the plants sit, but overall it is bigger (bathroom tub). All walls / tiles and ceiling are white. One light of 68w cfl (2700k, 300w equivalent) sits about 4’ away at a slight angle (not directly above the plants) and just put another one 27w cfl (5500k, 100w equivalent) about 1.5’ away at an angle. I’m thinking maybe lights sit too high and not directly above to have an effect, actually mounted where I could for now. Just changed it recently therefore will see if anything changes in coming week. This is my first try at this and lots of info, therefore seems a bit confusing at times.

You can bring CFLs very very close to the plants, do so over the next few day, acclimating the pants, if they droop or kinda pull away from the light, it is getting too intense too fast. You can get them as close to the light as your hand feels comfortable to the heat in the end, maybe only a couple of inches away. This is a slight advantage that CFLs have to HID lights, being able to get so much closer. For as small as a setup as you have, these lights might be plenty if you keep them real close in a 2’x2’ area.

Also do you have a light breeze blowing across them, shaking them very gently, this is necessary for good health of the plants as well as the stems developing strength.

Also I’m thinking the average bathtub size space is more like 5 feet by 2 &1/2 half feet, to maybe as much as 3 feet. That is a huge difference in space. 5’ x 2.5’ is 12 and a half square feet, 2’ x 2’ is only 4 square feet. you could use another of each light in that space, one of each kind on each side, that way all sides of the plants would be getting a balanced spectrum as well.

You don’t have to get the other lights right away either but be sure to have them before you want to put them in the flowering schedule. I would get another 5500k bulb right away for the vegetative period though, again, one on each side and kinda right above the leaves’ canopy is best. Generally anything above 6000k to around 6500k or 7000k is better for veg. and anything below 3000k to around 2200k is best for flower.

The 400 watt Ipopower I recommended, because it switches form full power 400 watts down to 75% 300 watts, and again to 50% power which is 200 watts. An extremely versatile light. Maybe the best bang for the buck in the entire market.

And; It automatically switches from Metal Halide to high pressure sodium and vice~versa, just by changing the lamps/bulbs.

Thanks McGyver and latewood. So far my plants look barely alive, and I dug them in deeper so they wouldn’t break. They are so flimsy that even fall when supported. I hope I’m not too late, but I think I over-watered them, plus did not provide right or enough light. At the moment have them setup with lights attached to sides at about 5-6 inches away with 5500k 27w (100w equivalent) lights and have a fan. Hopefuly they will wake up to life, as they are still green, but look weak.

As for the kit would 400w would be enough as it seems most use 600w? I plan on getting one as it is not fun messing around with multiple lights and cords, as you think it will cost you less, but now I don’t think it is the case as you waste much more time finding the right setup.

400 watts would be great for about 12 square feet. 5’ x 2.5’ = 12.5 square feet.

Thanks McGyver and latewood. So far my plants look barely alive, and I dug them in deeper so they wouldn’t break. They are so flimsy that even fall when supported. I hope I’m not too late, but I think I over-watered them, plus did not provide right or enough light. At the moment have them setup with lights attached to sides at about 5-6 inches away with 5500k 27w (100w equivalent) lights and have a fan. Hopefuly they will wake up to life, as they are still green, but look weak.

As for the kit would 400w would be enough as it seems most use 600w? I plan on getting one as it is not fun messing around with multiple lights and cords, as you think it will cost you less, but now I don’t think it is the case as you waste much more time finding the right setup.

I agree. I bought all kinds of light as mentioned above. You are making a smart choice in my opinion. Buying a versatile system will pay dividends in the long run… You can always buy a 600watt later, if you decide to expand your grow area. I have never had a 600watt; It seems to be popular, but 100 watts for me.

Oh yeah, MacG!!! That is about the size of a bath tub. Perfect!

Ok, adding some visuals, I hope it is not too late as plants look to be about dead.

Yeah, I’m not sure they will make it, especially the really shriveled one.