Spotting on seedlings/early veg plant

New grower here. Recently had some brown spottage start on the lower leafs of my plant. Very bad where it’s pictured and spotty on the leaf growing directly off the other side. Another plant not pictured , and about a week behind, has slight browning on tips of leafs. That plant is in the same res.

• 600W LED about 20 inches away. PH is 5.9/6.0.
  • Fox farm nutrients (big bloom / grow big / tiger bloom)
  • one feed in, started when first true leaf was formed (a day and a half ago). In a 13 gal rez (69 deg) and 77 in tent. Only fed a 1/2 of what nute chart said.
  • EC reading (with a meter) 1.00 (1010)
  • PPMs 520
  • only fed big bloom and grow big, at 1/2 feeding.
  • Strain: Banana Sundae

Thank you so much in advance :+1:t4:

2 Likes

All your numbers look in line for the age, a little rich in nitrogen by the looks of the dark waxy green leaves. I would ask if you spilled some nutrients on the leaf but see you’re in Hydro. Your not using the FF bloom nutes yet correct?

2 Likes

I have only used about a 1/4 cup of Big Bloom and 1/8 of Grow Big in the first feeding, and yes I am in hydro.

1 Like

1/4 and 1/8 per gallon or that quantity mixed?

1 Like

I used 1/4 and 1/2 for my entire Rez, which is 13 gal. And brought me the the PPM and EC
I’m at now. Checked them out this morning and it hasn’t really spread, and it doesn’t appear on the underside of the leaf itself, just the top side.

1 Like

I dont see mention of any calmag added… hydro is calmag heavy if im not mistaken n ur dots kinda resemble a calcium deficiency.

1 Like

Thank you, I’ll order some cal mag now, as other things I read were pointing me in that direction. Should I give the plants cal mag along with its regular feeding then?

Some better pictures attatched below of the problem. Also included it’s smaller sister on the right who is starting to experience the same issues on the outer edges of the leafs.

2 Likes

Yes, I grow in coco and supplement calmag twice weekly and I feed every day

2 Likes

Great, thank you! Soon as I get some in the water I’ll be back with an update. Hopefully that will solve the issue!

2 Likes

Best of luck and keep us in the loop

2 Likes

Small update, calmag will be here tomorrow. And browning has not spread to any other leafs so far. The smaller of the plants spread a bit but that’s because it grew pretty well over night so I assume the spot just got bigger.

WAs taking PH and EC last night to find my EC went up from about 1000 to 1100 so I dropped EC down to about 800 to lighten the load on nutrients it’s trying to take in to see if that will help at all as well.

Thanks again for the help so far. It’s so much appreciated!

Hello! So my cal mag has arrived , and it has hit water! I added it about 1/2 as needed as on now, as that put me into an acceptable EC range:

EC: 780
PH: 5.9

I had manually lowered my EC in my res from around 1000 because it was slowly climbing upwards by 10-20 a day , so hopefully with the addition of this cal mag it will create the right environment for my plant to thrive.

Question for those helping. Should I clip the leaf on the larger plant that is taken over by the brown spots? It is becoming brittle and I don’t know if it will come back to its proper state or not. It is also starting to curl upwards. I don’t want to harm the plant more than I have already… thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Is that your EC reading or TDS? Both would equal out the same is your using the 500 scale on your TDS. EC 0.7 or 0.8 with a PPM of 350 -400. Seems about the right levels for their age?? I’m not a Hydro grower but in coco I’m usually around 850 on my PPMs.

My EC reading.
Currently doing an entire Rez flip & wash beacauze these babies aren’t really reacting like they should be. EC is still leeching upwards and it’s only drinkng water right now which is kinda concerning.

The smaller of my two girls is very sad looking , and seems to be taking whatever is going on, harder than the larger one. It’s a day for concern and testing today to try an get these babies back to health.

Hows she looking? Still alive?

1 Like

Yes! I actually started another thread and got myself some new lighting and new nutrients, they have perked up 100%, given a little bit of stunting, but things are looking up! Very thankful for everyone who has helped and is continuing to help!

I just got these girls on some rope and beginning training. I know I started the LST a little late, but they were engulfing each other and I’m still learning.!

A bit of an update Pic below, thanks for checking in!!

1 Like