Splitting the stem before harvest

So ive herd someone split the stem before harvest what does do and does it work

1 Like

I split the stems on my last grow and it seemed to help them pack on extra trichomes.

In theory by splitting the stem it stresses the plant out. When the plant gets stressed it’s natural reaction is to protect itself and the way the cannabis plant protects itself by packing on more trichomes.

I’ll see if I can find the link to the article ILGM did on the splitting be stem method it is a good read.

7 Likes

I drill mine

14 Likes

Here is the link.
The part about splitting the stem is towards the bottom of the article.

6 Likes

I may have to give that a try on My current grow. Looks like it will be a heck of a lot easier than splitting them.

2 Likes

You don’t have to keep an object lodged in there with cable ties either. On larger stems that are hard to split this option is way easier

5 Likes

I like it. No more stabbing myself lol.

3 Likes

That article explans it thanks @Jmesser80 and @TDubWilly i think ur on the winner there slicing or stabbing seems to be challenging cheers guys

3 Likes

That’s a great idea and I’m gonna try that! There’s no way I’d feel comfortable splitting my stem right now, way too thick and I’d stab my self for sure! Lol

4 Likes

Yessir, an Aussie I knew was having trouble stabbing really thick stems without almost cutting himself and he came up with this technique.

He called it the “down under drill” lol

8 Likes

So, just drill a hole and don’t put anything in there? I like this better than stabbing, great idea.

3 Likes

I like to alternate directions too…

Drill one hole going one way then another a little higher drilled 90 degrees off

4 Likes

I’m sorry @Jmesser80 I chuckled
lmafoe%5B1%5D

3 Likes

How long before harvest do you split the stems? I love that drill “bit” :yum: Way easy!

1 Like

I split my stems about a week and a half until harvest. I wouldn’t go more than 2 weeks, typically a week is Sufficient to see results.

So before any amber trichomes?

1 Like

It will depend on what stage you prefer to harvest at. I usually try and harvest at half milky half amber so when I see about half Amber I’ll split the stem.
If you want to harvest when most are milky you could split the stem when you start seeing amber.

Sweet. Thanks Brother!

1 Like

@TDubWilly do you feel drilling the stem is effective as splitting/wedging? I’m ready to split tomorrow and drilling does looks nice and easy.

1 Like

@MacGyverStoner said it should effectively accomplish the same thing as splitting the stem

1 Like