Spiral Plants - Tips and Tricks

Hello everyone! Okay so I have several plants that I am performing LST on. Now, these plants are all clones not from seed so i bent them over rather than doing the manifold technique as I normally would (this is my first time ever doing it this way). So normally i would do the manifold technique and then top the four tops and then top once more and start scrogging. Since this is a clone i figured it would be better to do this way. The plan currently is to train the plant into a spiral and then top and start my scrog. I just notice that it is taking quite a long time for the plant to grow from the apical node now that i have allowed all the other ones to have some fun in the sun.

So my question is, since this is going to take a lot longer to complete the spiral than anticipated, Could i let it grow a little bit more and then would it be beneficial to top the apical node and all the other apical nodes coming from the what should be side shoots and then start a scrog just as you would when doing the manifold technique? Or, should i work it into a spiral, top the main node and then start scrogging?

All in all i do want to run a scrog. Would it even be worth doing the full spiral or should i top and start my scrog. TIA for your tips and comments :slight_smile: happy growing!

LST Super Lemon Haze

2 Likes

For the record this is what i am talking about. I am at about step 5. Can i really even scrog at step 8? was thinking maybe get to step 6, top and then scrog? What’s everyones thoughts?

1 Like

I had a plant I laid over and just kept tucking it under the scrog. I had it offset in the tent. Once I had it about 70% ful I flipped the lights. It grew sideways.

Bottom view is best I know how to describe it.

@Arrow will have some good suggestions. Good luck! :+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

6 Likes

Nice looking plant! Did you top it at all? I’m just use to breaking apical dominance so I feel like i’m over thinking it all!

1 Like

Check out arrows labor of love

1 Like

This is as close as I got. Ran out of time because it is a auto. She was not topped.

5 or 6 days later.

6 Likes

I topped it once. :v::sunglasses:

1 Like

You still filled out your space very nicely!

1 Like

Cool! I think tomorrow i shall top my plants and prepare to set up my scrog. I think that makes most sense :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just kept tying in down (staples) and pruning out the junk. I think the bud in the bottom right corner is the apical stem’s. A week or so before harvest.

2 Likes

Beast! Yea i feel like if i got all the way through the spiral it would be kind of hard to scrog because half of the stems would be going inwards you know? So you would run out of room for those stems. The outside stems would be fine.

1 Like

It got pretty tight in the center. In hindsight it would have faired better overall had I pruned out the stems coming from below and bent toward the center. Had 2 of them had been removed I think the others would have had more room and less competition for food. Still, it was a fun grow.

3 Likes

You in good hands … @beardless got you solid … @HappyHydroGrower and @Woodrow steered you straight …:sunglasses::v:

2 Likes

Fair enough. Yea i usually do the 4 way manifold with seed starts. This is my first time training from a clone. My OCD tends to get the best of me because it’s not symmetrical as the nodes grow in one after another rather than side by side.

Clones are a challenge. This one was monster cropped. It forever to reveg

She wanted to be asymmetrical. I could live that

2 Likes

How long did the reveg take???

I think a couple of weeks before I could really see any new growth.

Not quite a scrog but includes the net for support. I have lst’ed so much that some branches go left, right, up down and all around. Makes if very ‘fun’ durring harvest.
No set rules when it comes to plant trainning.
Happy growing…

5 Likes

This is the best i can do for scrogging in my smallest tent. Now i have more room to experiment so trying new techniques is a must for me! Always trying to grow my knowledge :slight_smile: I also use quite small scrog netting holes i think like 3 inches. It sucks if you’re not able to tend to your plants for a couple days because once they grow upwards it’s hard to get them under that small netting!

3 Likes

I posted this photo in “Arrow’s Labour of Love” but for those who might not see it, I took the plunge and topped the hell out of my plant! Thank you guys for the opinions! I’ll keep you all updated as this moves along :slight_smile:

TOPS

2 Likes