Spider mites... Please help me!

Don’t for get the hot sauce and strain it real good or it won’t spray. On contact

Will

2 Likes

Yep… Forgot about that hot sauce… Next spraying will include that to… Newbie me :slight_smile:
I also find a recipe to kill spider mites : WATER AND SUGAR.
I don’t try it now because I don’t have space to reach everywhere but I think will work… They will remain glued to the leaves and starving to death, egs to. It’s logical.
What do you think @garrigan62?

I would skip the water and sugar. You don’t need ants and other critters that seek that sweet,

Will joint

1 Like

DONT USE SOAPY WATER ON THE SPIDERMITES…IT WILL KILL YOUR PLANT
See my before soap and after

1 Like

Spider mites…they are hard to deal with. I have never had them show up on an outdoor grow but my first indoor grow I had a real problem! First, I did not recognize I had them until I had a full infestation. We tried a lot of things with limited success but managed to harvest a bit early, but before they killed the plants. This year I had 4 plants indoors and was doing regular leaf checks so discovered them earlier. I thought of drowning them…took a 50 gallon trash can full of soapy water and gently, fully submerged each plant for five minutes. Let them sit a while, maybe ten more minutes, and rinsed with the water hose. Then three days later I used soapy water again. Three of four plants are mite free about a month later. One was not clear of them and it is living outdoors. I think the key to success is catching them early and retreating every three days till you don’t have any more. I was worried that dunking them would kill the plants but so will the mites. It is really labor intensive, and not very practical, but it worked for me.

If you use soapy water do it in the evening, and rinse off after about thirty minutes.

Ugh. Got my first infestation. I live remotely without many resources, so I used what I had. Yesterday sprayed them with isopropyl alcohol mix, today added some tetrazine(sp?) to the mix and sprinkled diatomaceous earth through a sifter.

I guess I’ll just keep spraying and sifting and see what happens. One plant I could harvest, guess I’ll have to rinse it REALLY good in the tub immediately after cutting to wash all the chemicals off. Ugh.

1 Like

@M4ur We struggled with aphids really bad. We used @garrigan62 Tobacco juice tea and now are using this product as a second round backup. I hope this helps. Bugs stink!

Southern Ag Natural Pyrethrin Concentrate, 8oz

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VIALGTA/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_R4f2zbB05WC4T?tag=greenrel-20

Sorry to hear that. I still have a few but it’s not a problem right now… Like I say a few months ago, I was using something Japanese.

Does it take a couple days for spider mites to die? I gave a heavy dusting of DE yesterday, and while it’s pretty thick on the buds, some of the outer leaves just got light dusting, with plenty of green showing through.

It’s hard to tell where the DE is thick, but I saw one mite crawling for a couple seconds, then right into a big chunk of DE (through a jewelers loupe) and just stop. So didn’t know if it was a slow process, or instant, and maybe this guy just hadn’t hit any yet.

I figured I’d spray it down again tomorrow with the isopropyl alcohol/triazicide/water spray mix and another dusting of DE. And I’m assuming I’ll have to wash off the DE pretty thoroughly in a day or two so it doesn’t block light hitting the leaves.

I appreciate the knowledge on here, I’m going to incorporate the tobacco cure and keep that underwater dunk idea in my arsenal for later on, and probably pick up a can of neem oil.

I think they die but eggs hatch 3 days later so it’s the cycle you need to stop

1 Like