Spider mites galore

Having a hard time getting ride of these little turds, plant are about done, i want to finish the 4 i have going before i start more, with that said its its freezing in the midwest and was wondering once i pull the plants would letting the room get down to the freezing temps would kill all pest?. Thanks in advance

3 Likes

That’s what I plan on doing. They have a really hard time functioning/breeding in temperatures under 65°F. Anything above 80°F and they multiply really quickly. I had mites early on in veg (from outdoor clones), but fortunately they weren’t the aggressive type, and were easily managed. I haven’t seen any in flower :crossed_fingers:. Still, I plan on cleaning my tent and entire grow area from top to bottom after harvest. I might even set my tent up in another area, and bomb it with a few cans of pesticide. I’ll obviously clean the tent thoroughly before using it again. I’m in the midwest as well. It’s 12°F here today, with a wind chill of about 0°F. Lucky I’m in a heated garage.

2 Likes

Spray with 50/50 mix of peroxide and water. Then follow with capt jacks dead bug or safers caterpillar killer. Let sit 5 days and repeat. @Tinman.

2 Likes

Ive tried that multiple times, sprayed with captions yesterday, fers look like they multiplied, gonna pull them this week anyway, in week 15 from seed with autos, will be a little more aggressive with the wash @ harvest

2 Likes

Doubt it I’ll kill them off. If so, it will only be a temporary fix. We hit below freezing here and we still have flies and mosquitoes. We also have fleas all year round.

1 Like

Will be removing everything from room , and wipe everything down, would some kinda of bomb work, i wounder

1 Like

I wipe down the walls, floors, ceiling and equipment with hydrogen peroxide between grows. That in addition to spraying my plants with hydrogen peroxide and captain jack’s during the grow.

Low temperatures will cause them to go dormant until temps come back up, then the pest fun begins again.

4 Likes

I read about placing the plant (night hours) in a garbage bag with a chunk of dry ice, getting a nearly tight seal (so the bag inflates) and let sit over night. CO2 in high concentrations will kill pests but not begin to harm the plant. You would have to repeat after 5 days to kill them all.

10 Likes

Moved 2 of them to dark for 48 hours , then chop and wash. Thanks for all the info

1 Like

I did forget to mention that I successfully used an indoor ladybug colony. Set up quarters for them, and placed small sponges throughout the tent for them to have water (moistened every other day). Soaked raisins, and deposited them throughout the tent. I replaced them every few days for freshness. The ladybugs need food after eradicating the mites. I probably went overkill with the 1500 ladybugs in a 5’x5’ tent over a period of 6 weeks, but they completely eradicated my mite issue. Only found one dead ladybug in the 3 ounces of Cherry Pie I am currently curing, so they didn’t seem to affect my buds at all.

I’ll probably corral any that are still around when I chop, and give them to my cousin. She raises them for her gardens, and I feel obligated to treat them well, as they kinda saved me arse.

3 Likes

Thanks, i looked into that a while back, will try if this happens on my next grow .

mmoved these, only 2 left should be ready in the next week

1 Like

Looks like good smoke. Sucks about the mites, but at least you managed it and saved your crop. A good bud wash should take care of the rest.

I was hesitant about using the ladybugs, but they really are voracious killers, and I despise spider mites. I was watering one day, and watched as they completely cleared a fan leaf. All I could find afterwards were some shredded webbing threads. You just need to make certain your exhaust fan is covered. Also QBs aren’t a problem, but they did crawl around inside my Viparspectra, so I’ll be cleaning out some dead ones after the grow.

All in all, good information here. Thanks for posting the thread. I’m certain people will take some good ideas away from the discussion.

edit: my grow tent is in my garage, so a couple ladybugs getting out wasn’t a problem. Something to consider though, if growing indoors.

1 Like

Love this forum, thanks for all the great information

1 Like

I have had many problems with Spider mites and nutrient deficiencies in the past, but I recently found this app called higrade which when paired with their scope can detect and identify all kinds of pest or problems in the grow and recommend how to remedy the situation. It’s been super helpful for me. I would definitely recommend this to other home growers.

2 Likes

Found this at

my local brew and grow store

1 Like

@Tinman That would most certainly work. I am going to use something like that. Then I’ll completely wipe my tent down, inside and out with vinegar water. All poles will be completely submerged in peroxide/water, and power rinsed as well. I definitely think a final insect bombing would be an effective addition to the above treatments. Even if used during the grow, a good bud wash would take care of any unwanted residual material.

1 Like

@TyJohn38 That looks pretty sweet. I already have a Xenvo macro lense for my phone, but it is only 15x. I’ll check the higrade out some more.

1 Like

Sweet, yeah i think the higrade scope is 30x

1 Like