Spider mites eek!

So after we finish our budding cycle we are going to tear down bleach everything, start new plants etc… would bug bombing our house be helpful? From what I’ve read some growers have to move because they can’t get rid of the the little buggers. Any suggestions on how to prevent a recurrence of these things?

1 Like

Not positive but I believe I’ve read somewhere that if you grow in coco or any other soilless medium will help

We did for a few grow cycles grow in coco with good results. Hydro is not possible with the space we are using and for some reason my husband prefers soil. I’m wondering if maybe leaving our veg and flower closets clean and empty for a month or two and then bug bombing our entire house might work. I agree with you about the coco, I’m pretty sure the mites came in the soil because we only grow from fem seeds and then clone them, we won’t take strains from friend’s specifically to prevent this kind of problem. Thanks for the advice. This is driving me crazy lol.

I’m on my first grow and I ran into them as well. Right now I’m only treating via DE, Trifecta, and safe soap. I have come across some mite bombs for long term fixes however didn’t do much research into any of them. Let me know if you find a perm fix! :joy:

I just ordered a trifecta of predatory mites so hopefully that does the trick until we are done with flowering, if it works well we might even be able to bud out the ones we have in Veg. I will post updates on how well they work. I ordered 1000 of them, according to my research they eat about five spider mites a day, and can eat about 20 of there eggs. My husband really didn’t want to go with pesticides. They weren’t spendy either 45 bucks for 1000 and 30 dollars for overnight shipping.

1 Like

I don’t know anything about predator mites, I’ve read about them in general but not specifics. @Donaldj @elheffe702 might have some knowledge about it as well.

These are what i ordered

The Pest: Spider Mites

First Sign: Little yellow speckles on leaf surfaces. When you turn a leaf over, tiny, oval shaped mites, about pin head in size, are scurrying around. Their eggs, best seen with a magnifier, will be scattered around at random. Spider Mite eggs are all perfectly round, the same size, ranging from clear to amber in color. With larger infestations a fine webbing, crawling with mites, covers the plant tops. Soon, the leaves are browning and dying.

Most Common Species: The Two Spot. The “two spot” Spider Mites are usually yellow/tan/greenish in color, and by maturity they grow two dark spots on their shoulders, one on each side. The larger the spots, the older the mite, or the more chlorophyll there is in the plant species they are feeding on. Spider Mites can float along with wind currents, or be carried by pets, clothing or infected plant material.

Special Species Notes: Adult females have the ability to go dormant for a time after the photoperiod (daily hours of light) shortens, then re-emerge to lay more eggs a few weeks after the photoperiod lengthens again. That’s one reason Spider Mites keep reappearing crop after crop on indoor plants.

Most Popular Control:
Spider Mite Predators

Spider Mite Predators not only feed on Spider Mites and their eggs, they also breed twice as fast! Each Spider Mite Predator sucks the juice out of about 5 Spider Mites a day, or 20 of their eggs. Used as directed, predators should noticeably begin to gain control within 4 weeks, and then continue until the Spider Mites are nearly or completely wiped out. Predators disappear when the Spider Mites are gone.

Most Effective Control:
Triple Threat!

Use our mix of all 3 species to cover a wider range of growing conditions.

Wide Temp Range, Moderate Humidity:
Phytoseiulus persimilis
Temperature Range: 55 - 105+ F.
Humidity Range: 55 - 90%

Moderate Temp Range, High Humidity:
Neoseiulus californicus
Temperature Range: 55 - 90 F.
Humidity Range: 60 - 90%

Widest Humidity and Temp Range:
Mesoseiulus longipes
Temperature Range: 55 - 105+ F.
Humidity Range: 45 - 90%

3 Likes

Great info @Gertie_Garters, thanks!

2 Likes

Thank you! I just watched your video and now I’m feeling pretty happy that I ordered correctly.h

2 Likes

I just linked to it, not mine, but you’re very welcome. That’s what it’s all about :+1:

Or is that the Hokey Pokey? :thinking:

Both???lol

So the predatory mites worked! We saved our crop and I’m seeing no sign of spider mites about 3 weeks after introducing the three species of predatory mites!, we have cropped 5 plants and they all look beautiful with large yields, and the veg side has recovered, no more yellow leaves or small spots where those little sap suckers bit our plants. Here is where I got them from I highly recommend them over chemical options to help save your grow until you can start over. Beneficial Insects for Organic Treatment of Spider Mite Garden and Greenhouse Pests

2 Likes