SpaceL10n's SpacePl4nts

Thank you so much for the advice! Now that you got me thinking, I am going use my tap/well water at next watering and not the RO water. Just in case.

~WRD0000.jpg

1 Like

Day 1 after flip to 12/12

I tested the runoff from one of my plants before feeding it. I had to use my hot tub test strips for PH, because my digital meter dried out, I guess. My digital TDS meter still works. Results were:

• PH in: 6.2-6.4
  • PH out: 6.2-6.4
  • PPM in: 29
  • PPM out: 350

A feed is definitely in order, so I fed them .25 fl oz. each of Micro/Grow/Bloom in 1 gal of my softened well tap water. Results were:

• PH in: 6.6-6.8
  • PPM in: 600

There was no runoff to test. Plants are looking amazing though with wide, bushy, canopies and many bright green bud sites all sitting more or less level. Now just getting ready for the stretch before a little sexin’.

Picture update 3-4 days post flip. Too many leaves not getting any light but they don’t seem to care. Gonna stay the course for a couple more weeks I think…

PPM in and out was roughly the same today at 950 in and 900 out. I don’t think I ran enough runoff through the soil to get a good reading. I’ll do a slurry test next time. The PH in and out was in same range at 6.2 - 6.4.

Second dose of voodoo juice was administered today too: 2ml in 1L.

I found one male today and gave him the chop. Then I tied up the two remaining ladies to the tent posts. Wicked stretch going on and no issues to report.

PPM In: 800
PH In: 6.4

I haven’t had luck in getting an accurate PPM out. I think I need to push more water through the soil for an accurate reading. The slurry test came back at 250 ppm but I couldn’t get a lot of dirt without damaging the roots. Sooo…I think I’m just going stick to the prescribed feeding schedule and trust in the process… dunno.

@spacel10n

Measuring the pH of soil / soilless runoff

How to test the pH of your soil mix

The pH of soil is just as important as with hydro applications, but few people know how to test soil pH to see if it is within the optimum range for growing robust healthy plants. Here I will try to explain my method of testing any soil / soilless mix, enabling me to spot any problems and correct them if necessary.

Firstly, wait till your soil has dried out and is due for its next watering schedule. Then take some plain water that you usually water your garden with, and adjust the pH to 7.0. You must make sure that you know the exact pH of the water going into your soil, and the neutral 7.0 is best, but anywhere from 6.5 – 7.0 will suffice.

Then place your pot into a bowl of some sort to catch the runoff water, and then start to water your soil slowly (with your pH- corrected plain water) till the water starts to drip from the bottom. It’s the first drops of water that will give you the best reading of your soil, so make sure to water slowly till you see the first droplets. Then remove the pot from the bowl to eliminate excess water entering the bowl. Then perform the pH test on the runoff and compare it too your initial test.

The results of the runoff test will likely be lower than your starting value of 7.0. If this is the case, a small drop of 0.5 pH to 6.5 pH (example) would be ok and your soil needs no further alterations at the moment. But that’s not to say that it won’t need any future tests at all, just not at this time.
[Editor’s note: It may be beneficial to obtain an initial sample, as well as a ‘full flush’ sample in separate bowls. In addition, test several plants in the garden just to verify your results]

What if the pH is off?
If your results prove to have dropped considerably, say to around 5.5 (which can happen in late stages of flowering), you will need to add some lime into your soil to help buffer the pH back up again.

Remove the first inch or so of soil, taking care not to damage any roots whilst performing this task, ensuring that your pH is correct should be done throughout the life cycle; this will help eliminate any nutrient lockout that may occur. I recommend doing this once a month just to keep the PH in check, and you should never have a problem with deficiencies caused by pH lockout. Then sprinkle the lime into the pot, nice and evenly at a rate of 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of lime per gallon of soil. Then replace the soil you removed earlier, and saturate the soil good to wash in the lime.

Do the same test next time your plants need watering just to check that everything is fine, if more lime needs to be added then just repeat the process again till you reach close to 6.5 – 7.0 with the runoff.

1 Like

Thanks for the info RockClarke. :+1: I think I got this time…I hope!

I started the Big Bud today. Little buds are forming. All looks well to my amateur eyes. Even the white tip problem is gone. Not much else to report.

PPM in: 900
PH in: ~6.4

PPM out: 250
PH out: ~6.4

2nd feeding of Big Bud went in today. Along with regular base nutrients. I bumped up the measurements by 15% or so as an experiment.

PPM In: 1500
PH In: ~6.6

PPM Out: 1900
Ph Out: ~6.5

The higher ppm out is concerning. Plants look perfectly healthy otherwise.

Day 18 Flowering

Nothing really interesting to report. I fixed the nutrient issue with higher pH water. My PPM in today was 2300 and PPM out was 700. Ph was around 6.8 in and 6.7 out.

I’m realizing now that I pruned the lower growth too early. I shouldn’t have touched it until week 3 apparently, but plants look fine otherwise. Any stall or shock is over with. I didn’t take much anyways…

Day 24 Flower

PPM in was 2,100 and PPM out was 1500. PH was about 6.6. Buds are getting dense and leaves are getting frosty. I think it’s going well. The plants look much healthier and happier than last year’s.

Zero issues to report.

Day 35 flower

Holy cow! These things are getting crazy.

Some of my branches are so heavy that they’re starting to bend and lean over. I’m only halfway into the flowering phase and all of my buds, or almost all of them, are bigger than my biggest buds from last year’s grow. The information in this forum really is just amazing.

I managed to get some true color photos… Thanks for stopping by!

3 Likes

DAY 39 FLOWER

Uh oh???

Some of my leaves are turning color. Only on the tangelope though. The other plant is green and fine.

I’m not sure if I should be worried or not? I know some strains turn purple, is that what this is? I just don’t know…

It also looks as if I may have bugs. One leaf looks like it was scarred somehow… Nibbling? I’m going to break out the jeweler’s loupe tonight.

Pic of the scarring:

1 Like

Day 44 Flower

I guess there’s nothing to be worried about. The buds just keep growing!

I added an extra day between the last couple feedings giving water for 2 days and then feeding on the 3rd. Going to stay that course for a while and keep a close eye on the trichromes and the percentage of white to orange hairs.

3 Likes

DAY 103-ISH

DAY 48-ISH FLOWERING

I think we’re coming on to the final stretch here. I can’t really see the trichromes clearly enough with my jewelers loop at 40x, so I’m buying a pocket microscope. They look to be somewhat milky but mostly clear.

Water uptake has slowed significantly. The tangelope in the back has some yellowing leaves near the bottom and center of the plant. The mystery plant in the front shows no leaf discoloration whatsoever. That plant is one week to 2 weeks younger tho…

So close!

1 Like

No I just need to make the decision as to when to start the flush.

I, like you have been struggling a bit. I am on my first, probably 2-3 weeks to go. Due to various reasons, I only started researching cannabis cultivation when my first accidental plant was almost ready to flower. Learned a lot, but much more to learn, and I wish I could answer some of your questions, but I am still not knowledgeable enough.
One thing I will share is about flushing, as I am nearing the time. Two videos I watched outlining two impressive studies showed no difference in taste, ash color, mineral (nutrient) content, or yield. The only thing that changed in both based on 0, 7, 10, and 14 day flushes was terp content was slightly higher with no flush.
Bottom line, they say you can save time and money by starving them and probably not lose anything, but definitely not gaining anything.

Your thoughts?

1 Like

Novice here, but that leaf looks like it has beetle damage, but you would surely see them. So, could it be a virus? Or probably nothing.

Yeah, I have no clue. The lines have appeared on like three leaves over the course of a few months. Maybe one lonesome beetle just living his best life :rofl::joy:

1 Like

Just hanging in there waiting for the right moment :slight_smile:

1 Like