Sour D is in trouble

Hello guys.
I’ve did a slurry test with ~6 pH water.( could not fix it at 5.8, it fluctuates). The slurry test result is: 6.1-6.2
Thanks! @bob31 @Hogmaster @Myfriendis410

Edit: I Flushed with 5.9 ph water, first run off water ph is: 6.9 wow? What I need to do next water the plant with 5.8-6.2 pHed water and regular dose nutritiens, right?
Thanks!

Edit 2: two hours later from first slurry test, 6.0 pH water and growing medium mix pH is 6.8. So it means mixing medium and water and waiting 15 min is not enough? @bob31 @Hogmaster

@Snake did you add equal parts of soil and water?

It doesn’t look like it from the pic.

If you didn’t please do the test over. We want the pH test of the slurry at between 15-30 minutes

Have you calibrated the meter?

The pH of the water needs to be between 5.8 and 6.5 before adding the soil as long as you know what it is.

pH adjusters are only stable for a short period of time. That’s why it went up.

1 Like

Approximately how long until pH starts to drift in soil?

@bob31 yes equal parts, one shot glass, for soil and water.

yes I calibrated it then applied all the tests.

so after calibration it lose its stability after two hours? crap, I will have to buy lots of calibration solutions or liquid.

So I flushed it, then watered with 6ml grow, 6ml bloom some epsom salt all together in 4 litres water, pHed 5.8-6.2. Do you think we are good now?

@snake, no. What @bob31 means is the ph will drift over time after adjusting. In soil count on 8 to 12 hours but remember that other minerals interact immediately with what you put in, so probably changes a lot quicker than that.

You really can’t store ph’d water or nutrients. Hydro guys have to monitor all the time.

2 Likes

Thanks @Myfriendis410 you da man!

so we adjust, water and then forget it whether it drifts or not. till the next watering? @Myfriendis410 It feels so pointless though. I mean we carefully adjust ph and it starts to drift as soon as it goes in soil :smile:

1 Like

I am also wondering the slurry test result. What should we understand from 6.2 slurry test ph? Is it the reason behind all of my problems? Or is 6.2 is okay for my growing setup? @Myfriendis410 @bob31

By providing ph adjusted water and nutrients during their day, they will have those nutrients made available as well as other more complex interchanges happen that the plant likes. If the soil is constructed properly, it will remain in that sweet spot and resist the moisture adopting a higher ph once part of the soil. You can take advantage of this drift by adjusting your ph occasionally to the low end of acceptable and allow it to drift up through the range.

thanks for the detailed explanation. how come I didnt pH it at all until this time and I haven’t face any problem so far?

2 Likes

The seedling is pretty robust and almost entirely self contained. I’m guessing that you were close enough with your water that it was fine until it started hunting for nutrients.

2 Likes

Exactly! @Snake @Myfriendis410

We have both seen sprouts that didn’t make it to seedling because of a pH mismatch of a soiless grow that was more like 5.8 and the unadjusted pf of the water was more like 7.2

1 Like

one more thought @Snake I draw my water in one gallon containers and let them sit open for 24 + hours to evaporate the chlorine/ Chlormamine and then I ad my nutes and then I pH. And then i use it and I don’t mix anymore until the next time I am ready to water or feed. @Snake

3 Likes

@bob31 I always use natural spring waters bought in 5 litres with low ppm and I will do this way from now on, add nutes and adjust ph. What I wanna know is how can I know for sure that soil is in ideal condition right now. Should I make a new slurry test maybe? And what can I expect from this plant, all over yellow and its just in 6th week - 40th day. Can she recover a little bit or will it stay yellow? . Sour D is a 10-12 weeker I think? @Myfriendis410 @Covertgrower thanks!

2 Likes

@snake I’m reading back through to see what you are doing.

1 Like

@Snake are you going to transplant into a larger pot? I would recommend it.

The thing about your soil is that it really isn’t a soil. Bio-Bizz recommends you pH to 6.2 I would go with that.

As soon as she is dry enough I would go full nutrients.

You are in the 5th week of flowering. So going by the bio-bizz chart you should give

4ml/l of Bio-Grow and 3ml/l of Bio-Bloom. Most of us do a feed water feed water schedule, but the bio-bizz chart doesn’t indicate anything other than to give each time you water, so I would feed them every time you water for now. The leaves should green up if they get enough nitrogen.

2 Likes

yes, I will try to transplant. Do roots continue to grow in that late flowering?

Yes I know, biobizz is not helpful. I have this chart from their site. They suggest feeding every
watering.
http://www.biobizz.com/download/try•pack-indoor-nutrient-schedule/

So I have really messed up that ratio. When I water them I gave aprox. 4 litres of water in 3-4 days until flowering with a maximum of 2.8 ml bloom and 2.8 ml grow IN TOTAL 4 LITRES WATER :scream:, and some of that left the pot as run off . A few weeks through in flowering, it started to drink in ~7 days and got the same amount of nutes as input. I realized that just now. How that poor thing stayed alive and got that bigger? And also with cfls until flowering! wow. In the last watering after the flush, I gave them 6.0ml grow and same bloom. From now on I’ll use 16 ml grow and 12 ml bloom in 4 litres of water. It seems just too much is it okay really?

I think the top max is an extra stuff. Is it a must or just an additive? I have some some financial tightness so I need to know.

I am just too happy to hear that they have the possibility to green up! Thanks so much to all of you. @bob31

2 Likes

@snake no worries she will look a lot better soon!

You know I wrote that and saved it and went back. I meant to edit the part about transplanting. I am not sure that it would do any good this late in the grow. Probably should keep her in the pot she is in and consider the larger pot for the next grow.

I am surprised that you need 4 liters of water to get runoff from a 14 liter pot. Mine start running off at about 2 liters. That “growing medium” must be really absorbing.

I just had to do calculations on my nutrients. At week 5 of flower I use 3 tsp per gallon of water of FF Big Bloom, 1 tsp per gallon of Grow Big and 2 tsp of Tiger Bloom

I am going to round up and call 1 tsp 5 ml and 1 gallon 4 liters
Those translate to
Big Bloom 15 ml per 4 liters
Grow Big 5 ml per 4 liters
Tiger Bloom 10ml per 4 liters

a total of 30 ml per 4 liters of water for FF nutrients

a total of 28 ml per 4 liters of water for bio-bizz nutrients

I think those numbers make sense!

1 Like

It feels and seems a quality brand until now, this topic. They are really not helping in their site and explanations.I keep the pot. thanks.

1 Like

I agree that they could do a better job explaining the use of their nutrients. Fox farms has the most straight forward feeding chart of all of them in my opinion.

I look forward to see how they are doing in a few days @Snake

1 Like