Soon to be first time grower here

I always go big on my ventilation.

If you ever run into a “not enough ventilation” problem, it’s something that has to be corrected quickly.

I run a 6in S6 in my 3x3

I just bought a 4x4 and I’m running a T8

The minimum I would go in your 4x4 is a 6in AC Infinity Cloudline

As for your 4x8…. Since it’s short…. You might get away with a hard working 8in cloudline.

Being anal about stuff, I would run probably two 6in cloudline. One on each end.

Be warned, I spend way too much $$$ on grow gear.

3 Likes

T8 series will be your ideal, as mentioned above and that includes the controller… Orrrr you can get an s8 and buy their advanced controller (considering your size and setup It sure wouldn’t hurt) the advanced controller (not the ones with the T series) offers more program options.

Lots of great help here welcome to the community.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice and welcoming! I’m only have 1 or 2 post left for the day so I’ve been saving them lol.

I did end up ordering the T8 and sent back the S4. The S6 will go in my 4x4 and my T8 will go in my 8x4.

My seeds got shipped yesterday and the ETA for them is Monday. So in the mean time I’m going through as many post/journals as I can to absorb as much info as I can. I really enjoy reading about the struggles that people have had and how quick the people here are to give them the needed advice. Not saying I’m getting enjoyment out of their struggles, but im gaining knowledge from their struggled with the offered solutions.

My head is spinning from all the information I have gathered. One thing I realized I have missed during my ordering sprees was pest control items. By the sound of it I will want some stick pads and some DE?

2 Likes

If your growing in soil yes.
DE and yellow stickies should be on hand ready to deal with gnats which are a common soil issue.

If your thinking of growing in ffof then first mix it with extra perlite as you want the mix 30% perlite. Then put a bottle in the center of your pot, fill it 3/4 full with ffof. Pull the bottle and fill. The rest of the pot with a lighter soil like happy frog or something light found locally (again 30% perlite)
This allows your plants tap root to grow down and out faster due to not reaching hot soil, it will then grow into the rich ocean forest soil or whatever super soil you have.

1 Like

Yes I’ll be growing in soil. Going on Amazon now to place an order.

Just received these today, but I couldn’t find any info on when to remove them from the branch lol

1 Like

Can i suggest using a soil mix of strawberry Fields and happy frog and ocean Forest ,put the strawberry Fields on the bottom of the pot mix the happy frog and ocean Forest together and put on top of the strawberry Fields now i know ur thinking why not mix the three together well heres why the happy frog and ocean Forest mix will give you ur nutrients for veg and by the ur plants are ready to flower they should of used up those nutrients from the happy frog and ocean Forest mix the strawberry Fields is there for flowering stage ,the other reason for mixing the happy frog and ocean Forest together is the ocean Forest is to hot

1 Like

Yes good advice but the center plug is key, tap root needs to go down and that’s why in a 5 gallon bucket a wine bottle or vodka bottle works great.

3 Likes

Indoors you might not have much of a problem unless the buggers are already in your house.

Simple play sand as a top layer to your pots will prevent fungus gnats from laying eggs. And spraying Dr. Zymes on the plants will work well too

I will be using 5 gallon grow bags. Sorry I’m confused about the wine bottle/vodka bottle part lol

1 Like

Luckily I haven’t ever dealt with pests but if your in a pretty controlled environment you probably don’t have to worry to much.

As for your pot use ffof and in the center use happy frog. I would usually take a handful of food out and put a hand full of happy frog back in that’s it. I have run straight ffof and been fine. Watering is really the key when starting out. Too much water is never good. Get used to the weight of things and then you will be able to tell if it’s dry or not. Don’t stress plenty of people here to help you out.

Grow bags are good.

Grab a bottle, put it in the center of the grow bag standing up.
Fill the grow bag 3/4, packed.
Pull bottle… Now there is a hole in the center and the top 1/4 left to be filled with a lighter soil.

Can you imagine it now?

1 Like

Ahhh yes makes complete sense now!! I will definitely do that. I have 4 cubic ft of Happy Frog and only 1.5 cubic foot of OF. I also have 4 cubic ft of perlite and 30lb of worm castings. Looks like I might need some more soil to do 10x5 gallon pots huh? Also what % of perlite should I mix in and how much worm castings?

@Capt.Cola thanks for the advice. I was only asking about pest because from all the reading I’ve done I’ve read alot of people have gnat problems using FF soil.

1 Like

How many cubic ft will I need to fill 10x 5gallon pots? I have happy frog 4 cu ft, OF 1.5 cu ft, perlite 4 cu ft, and 30lbs of worm castings. My seeds will be here Monday and I want to make sure I have enough soil. Also what % of perlite and worm castings should I mix in? @Nicky ?

Take the soil, mix in 30% perlite

Then add 1 part work castings to 3 parts soil mix

5 Gallon = 0.69 cubic feet.

1 Like

I’ve been doing alot of reading and from what I’ve been reading is that fox farm soil produces alot of gnats. I know over watering is the biggest reason they show up. I was wondering if its beneficial to add DE to my medium when adding my ammendments as a preventative measure ? @Nicky

1 Like

No de won’t really help in the soil.

Once you see them just layer the top of the soil with DE and put up yellow stickies.

Nematodes may help in your soil but it’s an extra cost that won’t for sure stop the gnats.

1 Like

@Nicky thank you very much for the information I greatly value it! I’m starting to do some research into using coco which I might switch to after this grow.

1 Like

Check this thread out, at the bottom of the fiest post you can click the blue Summerize button

Thanks for that incredible info!

1 Like

So I’ve had my tent all set up and running for about 3 hours now with my lights on high and the tent all sealed up, below are my results. How do they look @Nicky ? I know the humidity will go up some once there are pots with soil/water in them in there.

2 Likes