Something is eating or burning my leaves

Question from a fellow grower!

Good morning/afternoon!

Up until today my newly sprouted plants have been doing well. When I took a close look at the leaves today I noticed that there is something eating or burning the leaves?! Can someone take a look at what’s going on and give me some suggestions on how to stop this from happening?

The plants in question are White Widow and Zkittlez Auto. Both are being grown outdoors.

Thanks in advance!!

Pictures or it didn’t happen. :slight_smile:

Here are the photos that I shared with ILGM…

General comment: soil is too wet. Seedlings need very little water. A plant that size should get only a few ml of water a day. Limiting the water she gets will help prevent root rot or mold of some type.

On the leaf issue, are you misting the plant when the lights are on? Water droplets will act like little magnifying glass and burn the leaves.

3 Likes

Check on the soil comment.

I’ve been misting them in the each morning using the “Seedling Booster” that I got from ILGM so maybe that is accounting for the leaf burn as you mention?!

Thank you!

Quite possibly, yes. It is not necessary to mist it. The risk is greater than the potential gain.

Seedlings don’t need fertilizers of any type. Depending on what soil you are using, you may not need any fertilizers for 4 to 6 weeks.

What soil are you using?

2 Likes

Started them in Miracle Grow Seed Starting mix and then transferred them to regular Miracle Grow potting soil. They are on their 7th day being in the regular Miracle Grow.

PS. This is my first attempt at this, so I’m sure that I’m making some rookie mistakes…

Miracle Grow soils are very hot (nutrient rich) and MG is not a good choice for cannabis. It seems to be doing okay, but I would get her in a proper cannabis soil such as a Fox Farm product, Roots Organics, or Black Magic. MG has time release nutes in it that nuke your plant and submarine your pH every time you water.

I would get it out of the MG as soon as you can. Some people get away with using MG, but most don’t.

Definitely don’t feed it nutrients at this point. MG is too hot as it is. You could end up with nute burn.

The above mentioned good soils already contain fertilizers. A plant can go for 4 to 6 weeks after the last transplant in these soils without fertilization.

I expect the leaf problems are due to the misting. I don’t see any other problems.

1 Like

Very first picture what are the black spots on both top right and left leaves? Aphid egg or hatchling possibly

First picture shows clear signs of bug damage along with everything mentioned

Second picture not so much possible black speck on lower back leaf

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! (I reached my quota of replies yesterday…)

PS. Ordered some Black Magic soil and will swap that out ASAP and used the ILGM pest formula on the plants last night. Let’s see how it goes…

Saw two small, green caterpillars on each plant this AM under a leaf! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: