Solo cups vs peat pots

This rooty looking beast was germinated in a peat pellet,
without removing the netting…

2 Likes

Holy tokes!!! @Enlightened420 she is absolutely beautiful. Definitely a peat pellet testimonial

1 Like

I use true biodegradable cow manure pots “Cow Pots” as I can just drop it into progressive size pots and no transplant stress. They fall apart, so not for long term in stand alone situation.

1 Like

@KikiGee that makes so much sense to me. I guess the key is not to overwater which stands true to all the methods. I have some cow pots and am going to give them a try next time around.

1 Like

Dogs love them! Our old dog got this yesterday when I was working in the grow room. :rofl:

Oh, and if you see a white ‘bloom’ on the outside of the pot when you start using them, it is perfectly normal and won’t hurt your plant. When I first used them I had a bit of panic over the white stuff.

1 Like

Yummy. Dogs like that special treat in any form I guess :joy:
Great piece of info on the white! Definitely would have assumed mold and may have discarded the grow! What is it? Do you know?

From Cow Pot website: We have completed countless experiments and tests on the molds and mushrooms found growing on CowPots. None have ever tested harmful. The growth of mushrooms is natural and is proof that CowPots are a great growing medium.

When I first saw it I was concerned.

2 Likes

@Hellraiser @GhostGrow I saw this about Peat cups and I figrued I would chime in. Our 1st plants I started in those peat pellets and I lost a plant outside from heat shock When I opened the peat pettlet the roots were bound. So the second bunch I started was cups. and when I transplanted them into the 5 gal.fabric pot I cut the peat cups five slices downward so the roots will break thru.

1 Like

The best method I know of from seeing the results is the clone box. Any standard plug, root gets spritzed and then gets air for a bit. The result is clear as day when you see the difference in the root ball. Expect and prepare for the fastest veg plant you’ve ever started. Promise.

I prefer a clear solo cup filled with peat (Promix HP) for the seedling. I prewet the peat and put it inside a darker colored solo cup. I periodically remove the darker cup and look for the seedling root structure in the clear cup, then easy transplant when ready.

The trick to transplanting from a solo cup is to make sure the soil/peat isn’t too wet as it can fall apart during removing the soil bulb from the cup for the transplant. Dry soil will stay clumped together. Wet soils can break apart and could damage the root.