Solo cup help needed

Hey guys it’s me again. I have been intrigued by this “solo cup” challenge and plan to participate. Just have a few dumb questions and ideas. Is it logical to run a photo on 12/12 from seed? Just curious if anyone has ever done that. Right now I have 2 autos and a photo running in a 2x4x5 on 12/12 light. Would it be a waste of seed to throw a solo cup photo in the tent now? Or should I got with auto? I only have White Widow auto from ilgm my others are photoperiod feminized from ilgm

1 Like

Auto would do fine under 12/12. That’s just me.

3 Likes

Yeah my autos now have been under 12/12 since day 1and imo they’re doing great!

2 Likes

Staying in a solo cup it’s whole life will affect yield even more, but kinda the point of a “solo cup challenge”, to see what level of crazy plant you can keep alive in a solo cup with the ultimate goal of flowering it out and getting some bud, if anyone can get that far. This is for fun, not for yield. I have a couple solo cup challenge plants growing, with one being a secret contender that I have not revealed yet.

6 Likes

Basically what the autos do? I think I may try to experiment.

2 Likes

Good experiment for a solo cup challenge, I’d do it.

3 Likes

Point taken.

1 Like

@MrPeat grows some monster photos under 12/12 I do believe. I dont think it’s going to mess anything up, like was stated earlier, the worst thing that could happen is it flowers at exactly 3 weeks in and is a smaller plant, but being in a solo cup its going to be a smaller plant anyways.

4 Likes

Secret contender you say, im not going to cut some clones for this reason lol.

3 Likes

@CoyoteCody Is correct…I grow strictly on a 12/12 start to finish. I have been doing this since I started in May 2018. I also put my seeds with tap roots straight into their 15 gallon fabric pots.

Better lights is what makes a 12/12 a success. :+1::+1::+1:

3 Likes

Being the rookie of the competition I went with a "blurple cup"

I really hope it pulls through for me :rofl:

On the other hand…my light is a marshydro sp250. It’s done okish so far I think. My tent is getting crowded though so I really hope it pulls through for me!

4 Likes

I will be doing the solo cup challenge. what are the rules in preparing the cup? If the roots will grow out of the holes of the cup, how do you keep them out of the light. How big are the holes in the cup suppose to be? When do I fertilize and water? also lighting and timing of light on and off? :thinking: :thinking:

1 Like

No rules other than it should be a plastic party cup. I had no roots growing out of the cup as they get air-pruned. Make drainage holes a little larger than usual - helps keep the roots from circling too much at the bottom of the cup.

As needed, at later stages will need multiple waterings per day.

My solo cup plant needed 3 waterings per day during last month of flowering, I feed every watering.

Same as usual 18/6 during veg, 12/12 in flowering

5 Likes

What fertilizer were you using and at what strength do these little ones like?

1 Like

I was using Advanced Nutrients at the time, at 750-800 ppm every watering with a nice bit of runoff so salts don’t build up.

3 Likes

I have some cream candy auto flower seeds from last year. When I start my regular plants, I am going to do the solo cup challenge with the cc auto flower. Get them started in the tent then they will go outdoors with the rest of the girls.

1 Like

Nice, good luck with it!

1 Like

Thanks I was just reading about your cloning, how is that going? :sunglasses:

1 Like

My cloning always goes well with a Clone King, makes it too easy.

1 Like