Soil weight in Fabric bags

How many pounds are in a gallon of soil?
Plain soil from a garden can weigh 12 pounds per 1 gallon. Add water, which weighs 8.3 pounds per gallon at room temperature, and a large container can become an immovable object. Soilless potting mixtures, depending on their composition, can weigh a few ounces to 1 pound per gallon.
J
:man_farmer:68

Can’t really go by weight. Additives to the mix will change that. Perlite, vermiculite, etc weight a lot less than clay for example. Need to go by volume. FYI - my local “Super Soil” for vegging comes in 1cubic foot bags. I pretty much filled 3 3 gallon plastic pots with one bag. Probably could use another 1/4 bag per 3 pots now that it’s settled a little after watering. Google says 0.134 cubic feet per gallon. So my 1cf bag gave me just shy of 9 gallons. About right. Hope this helps you.

Peace

Verndoc,

thanks for replying.
I am concerned about the stress on my joists as I will be using 5 fabric bags.
I came across this on G**gle but I am wary of their info as I am wary of weather reports

Peace to you from West Wales
:man_farmer:
I quote ‘‘How many pounds are in a gallon of soil?
Plain soil from a garden can weigh 12 pounds per 1 gallon. Add water, which weighs 8.3 pounds per gallon at room temperature, and a large container can become an immovable object. Soilless potting mixtures, depending on their composition, can weigh a few ounces to 1 pound per gallon.’’

Ahhh… Fill a similar size bucket or a one gallon w topsoil use Cheap stuff which will be a lot heavier than good growing soil. Add as much water as it will hold and weigh it. That’s your max. Simple. Can’t believe it’d be much more than 50 pounds for 5 gal container x 5 is only 250#. Any decent floor will hold that without an issue. Good thought though - definitely something to keep in mind.

Peace

maybe I could support them with helium balloons :rofl:
Pax

I would love to see that setup!! LMAO :joy::joy::rofl:

60lbs for 5 gallon pot?! They must be potting with clay :thinking: I used less than a half bag of soil for my 5 gallon pot. And the whole bag weighs about 30-40lbs. I soaked the pot before moving to my tent and even then it wasn’t 60lbs. I don’t think the fabric handles would’ve supported 60lbs.

Hi Bobbygigital

I just realised that I am doing the math with Imperial Gallons which are bigger than US gallons…
I am going with your advice and ordering 5 gallon pots from Amazon as they are not freely available in the UK (yet).
I am planning to raise them off the floor a couple of inches to ensure air-flow…is this necessary ?
J68

I have mine sitting on coated metal shelving that allows airflow and also enough space to get a drip pan in to collect runoff. Mine sit about 4 inches off the tent floor

Thank you for your help, I shall post a pic of my grow when the sun returns and the force that through the green fuse drives the flower
Drives my green age
(d thomas)

J68