Soil recommendations

What soil mediums do you guys recommend any input will be highly appreciated

Pro-mix hp very basic but does require nutrient schedule since it is a soil less mix perfect for starting plants and whole grow cycle with nutrients

Fox farm Ocean - or go simple - 1 bag top soil and 1 bag of peat moss ($3.00)

1 Like

But Fox Farm soil is hot soil not good for starters.
Go with what Donald posted or something similar. Any soil for seedlings.
But if you want to get down on making your own soil…ask for Latewood

Will

1 Like

Ocean forest is a excellent soil but if used seeds need to be transplanted into it at around 5 nodes or it is too hot though you have a sound theory bottom 1/3rd hot mix top 2/3rds peet based would work quite well. I have never had problems starting seedlings in promix or sunshine #4 and we run into many which start with hot mixes on this forum and have seedlings die or stunt.

I use fox farm ocean from seed to bud and have never had any problems at all.

All of our soil products offer balanced nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium. We pH adjust them to a neutral range of 6.3 – 6.8. Because of the premium organic ingredients that we use, there is no risk of burning your plants. Our soils are ready to use, right out of the bag. There is no NPK listed on our soil packages because they are not fertilizers, but growing mediums. The real power of our soils lies in the fact that they are teeming with beneficial micro-organisms. Our soils are never steam sterilized, which allows these microorganisms to thrive and convert the organic nutrients into a form the plant can utilize.

4 Likes

There now that is about as clear as the Scarecrow made it in Oz. I guess what is being said is try and see what works for you. :slightly_smiling:

To be honest - never had problem’s with fox farms - it is not HOT soil - it’s what you put into it !!

3 Likes

Lol as you can see soils are like wines we all have different tastes and theories @steve2 I believe Will and I are probably thinking of FF happy frog line and honestly all that matters is that all of us like our own lmao and have a routine for starting transplanting and feeding slightly different from each other.

1 Like

Yup that pro mix Lateood speaks highly of it.
But you really gota know what your doing or your grow will suffer later.
I make my own soil have ever sence I was 8 or 9 with my mom and dad on the farm my dad owned. He had 3 20x10x40 greenhouse’s I’ll see if I can get a pic.

Here ya go

Will

1 Like

lol think you got the wrong picture :stuck_out_tongue:

Was just showing
him the greenhouse and farm to help him or anyone else know that I do know a few things from my own farming experience’s after all idid farm for over 20 years…lol

Besides gives you all a good idea of my growing experience.m and the pic’s are cool

Will

2 Likes

I really did not mean to Say anyone was right or wrong. I just posted what fox farms had to say. It came highly recommended to me by some growers I know.
I really like it for all my growing. Only thing I don’t like about it is the price. 12.99 a bag is a lot of money, I got 15 bags for my outside grow. I live in the desert in so cal. So my dirt here really sucks. The 5 plants I grew outside not counting the blueberry and bubble gum,turned out really great, everyone likes it. The yield was right at 4lbs. Plus I have enough trim to make edibles for long time lol, I wish my blueberry and bubble gum would have had longer to veg but I started them to late. The blueberry I got going inside should yield about 2 oz.
I don’t let wife use it in her garden lol to costly.

I was just saying that Fox Farm is just way to hot for seedlings
I have seen so so many posts here where new growers start with Fox Farm soil and I would say not even a week had gone by before that grower had problems and it all came down to the soil.
Now on the other hand plants that had time to grow to 4-5- nods then transplanted into Fox Farm soil did great…it’s just not for sedlings

Will

Soil is not “hot” it’s the amounts of nutrients’ you use with it !!!

2 Likes

That’s right but you never feed nutrients to seedlings

Will

I layer my soil starting with fox farm ocean forest on bottom miracle grow mc and miracle grow seedling soil on top giving them time to grow before it reaches fox farm on bottom

1 Like

Don’t worry what you are doing will work well for you - next time Ocean forest and Happy frog mix in (happy frog has "mychrroiza in it really help with germination)

Iceburg does that method works ?

Haven’t had any problems with any nutrient burns by the time the roots reach down to the bottom of the pot their couple weeks old and seem to be ready for soil… I learnt that from you Yoshi

1 Like