Soil Recommendations for First time grower

Hey guys,

First time grower here, trying the Zkittlez auto. I just wanted to hear some recommendations for soil mediums. I have scanned a few soil medium forums and seen people use a combination of Fox Farms and other brands as well. I’m really trying to avoid transplanting as well (just don’t want to create any more problems for myself since I’m so new to this) so if you would care to include some info on top dressing as well, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

1 Like

Go with roots organic original. Seedling friendly and excellent drainage so no need to add in extra perlite. Plus it can feed for 4-5 weeks.

4 Likes

@BobbyDigital is right on… He suggested Roots Organics Original to me a few grows ago… I won’t look back! Great soil… From seedling through harvest.

3 Likes

Been using fox farm soils just got away from them and liking big rootz so far impressive growth believe 4-5 weeks without nutes just check ppms, happy growing

5 Likes

Big rootz is another good one. Not sure if it’s available everywhere though

2 Likes

I started with fox farms happy frog and ocean forest but id highly recommend Coast Of Maine Stonington Blend its like fox farms but alot better quality and will last you a good 4 weeks with only ph’d water then ypu could use down to earth dry nutrients and just top dress every few weeks

4 Likes

My plants did great with Roots Organics soil, but I constantly had fungus gnat issues. The little yellow traps would be covered with them in just a couple of days. I switched to Mother Earth Coco Peat a couple of years ago. The plants love it, and I haven’t had any fungus gnats since the switch!

3 Likes

Funny thing I went to my hydro shop he has every brand of soil coco etc owner told suppliers give me bags with no fungus gnats he laughed at him and said take it or leave it! Lol

I grow everything in FFOF

Subcools super soil 1/2 recipe

1/2 Recipe

4 large bags of a high-quality organic potting soil with coco fiber and mycorrhizae (i.e., your base soil)

12.5 to 25 lbs of organic worm castings

2.5lbs steamed bone meal

2.5lbs bloom bat guano

2.5lbs blood meal

1.5lbs rock phosphate

3/8 cup or 6 tablespoons Epsom Salts

1/4 cup or 4 tablespoon sweet lime (dolomite)

1/4 cup or 4 tablespoons azomite (trace elements)

1 tablespoon powdered humic acid

I mix this 50/50 with pro mix

Good luck and the best advice I can give anyone is start two things if you can, a compost pile and a chicken pen.

Wow thanks everyone, didn’t expect such fast responses! Any info on how much/what top dressing I should be using?

Just simply the soil and nothing else? no worm castings or any other amendments?

None needed for the first 4-5 weeks.

2 Likes

I would recommend hp promix with worm castings mixed in and some volcanic rock dust fertilizer two to three scopes

right, but after those first 4-5 weeks, what would you recommend for top dress?

1 Like

Would you please define “top dress”?

If you mean nutes… Like @BobbyDigital said… After 21 day +/- I use this…

I stretch veg to 8 weeks.

Depends on what you’re looking to do. Are you planning on going organic?

I do not use it but several growers I respect use and recommend Earth Dust from the Green Sunshine Co. Check out / search @MeEasy for his threads and replies about using Earth Dust.