Soil ph and how to adjust

I just started a thread for soil ph I don’t know how to just jump in on someone’s lol. I need help ill start by saying this is my first grow im hopefully going to see all the way through. My girls are looking beautiful. I am 3rd week into 12/12. 11or 12 weeks from seed. My runoff of one is about 6.15 so it’s good. The other two not so much one is 5.33 the other 5.65 I’m very new still learning now I have ph up and down I ph my water and my newts always to about 6.5 so everything going in is always spot on. How do I get the ph back up? The last 2 water and feedings I brought ph up to about 7.6 when going in and didn’t have much effect hpw to I get it to come up. Please help before I get any real problems im very new and gotta really dummy it. Down for me please. My ppm was a off too I didn’t know much about that until few weeks ago its like 760 on one and 660 maybe on other so I’m gonna add more newts. Next time but just thought I throw that in there in case that plays a role in it at all otherwise does a guy bring his water ph up even more…say like mayne 8.0 8.5 for a feeding or 2 and see? Is this how this works? Please let me know. I’ll put a few pics of my girls too

5 Likes

What type of soil are you growing in. From what I can see in pics your girls all look healthy. I understand you wanting to stay ahead of any potential issues with ph levels from runoff. But I wouldn’t recommend pushing the ph going in over 6.8 If you start to see deficiencies you could do a flush to reset ph levels in soil. I’ve had a few plants that consistently had low ph runoff, but stayed healthy without me trying to raise ph runoff readings. Let us know what kind of soil and what nutrients you are using. :+1:

3 Likes

Listen to @Bulldognuts he’s a veteran. For real though I think this is a case of “don’t fix what ain’t broke.” Don’t see any issues on the plants, so keep doing what you’re doing.

If you do anything I would just give it like 4x the amount of water that you normally do next feeding at pH of 6.5. I would think that would help a lot… But again, listen to @Bulldognuts

1 Like

Don’t do this. This is what will create problems. Let your soil buffers do what they do. If you’re in a good soil then you can ignore the runoff. It’s the input that’s important. Throwing in solution that is out of range for plant uptake will cause issues.

5 Likes

Some times or rather more often then not.
No one seems to talk about it much really. …

But taking ph from run off is not all ways that accurate.
Testing a slurry soil sample is better.

While it’s great to catch things early it’s nit all ways a good idea to try to correct things if the girls are happy.

If it was me, I would wait till signs of them nit being happy. But if I was more concerned and didn’t want to wait.
Not knowing anything about your grow I’d say flush, water with a solid 7ph (I don’t ever suggest taking bug swings at it with high ph levels) .

I got one right now that the run off has been a 5. Something for a week now. It’s not really normal but she seems happy so I’ve done nothing but keep an eye on her.

The one on the left.

I’m not an expert though man that’s just my 2 sense.
Try not to stress over it and some one here will help ya fix it if it needs it :grin:

4 Likes

@Bulldognuts @BobbyDigital I have them in I believe organic pro-mix I picked up at meanrds. It’s the blue bag if that tells you anything. But thank you very much for your advice I will be taking it. I did think that to myself I mean they look beautiful …no bad leafs nothing on the tips they eat normal i will definitely let things be. As far as ph. How about the ppm should I just keep on keeping on with exactly how I have been feeding them as well or would I like to get that ppm up more in the 1000 to 1100 range. But they seem to be just great the way I have been doing it. I just thought I’d put that past you guys thank you all very much for your help

1 Like

@1HappyPappy your plants look very nice

1 Like

@Bulldognuts oh and I’m using the fox farm trio

1 Like

Foxfarms recommends a flush with their nutrients at set intervals. But, again I believe I would hold the coarse as long as you are not seeing issues. If you decide to do a flush with Sledgehammer or another flushing agent like FloraKleen it will help reset ph in soil but it will also flush out nutrients. So you will need to feed immediately after flushing. Something I’ve learned from the true veteran growers here is to stay calm, more damage can be done by over reacting than taking a wait and see attitude. :+1:

2 Likes

You have received a lot of great advice from some darn good growers. Someone on here commented once where thistles grow your plants will grow. Thistles grow well under our pine tree! So I use a discontinued product made from pine slash to add into the soil. It is acidic. Best wishes that you have an amazing grow!

Good advice, my last run, the calibration was off. When I realized, my plants had reached 5.3PH, with 2.8-3.5ppt. At that point I had to decide to flush or wait while just watering with 5.8ph rain water and monitor. I went with the wait option as many said the same thing, my girls looked happy, there was new growth, no signs of disease or nutrient issues, only slight nutrient tip burn. As the numbers got back in line I slowly started adding in nutrients again.

Best advice! Took a bit to accept.

3 Likes

Same thing here, it’s difficult to remain calm when you see problems and you believe all of your efforts are going down the drain. :slightly_smiling_face: But there’s so many variables to take into consideration. The truth is, even if you believe you’ve done everything perfectly things can still go off the rails. So, stay calm and learn from your mistakes. :+1:

2 Likes

Cool thank you all for everything

@Bulldognuts or anyone on this ph thread I made I have another question. If u could help me please. I have 3 plants all started same time fed exactly Same amount of nutrients got the same amount of light with same kind of light I have 5 1000 watt led spaced evenly across all three. Here is my question the two plants I have the pistils are still very white im coming up on my fourth week of flower in few days. But the one plant the little flowers are alot smaller and alot of the pistils are red and starting to lay down ill put pics in so u can see I do know the buds are still going to grow but this being my first time and me reading that one of the signs of starting to get close are most of red hairs laying down. I do have a jewels loupe I just wanted to make sure this isn’t abnormal
20211015_131230|375x500