Soil Molding...good or bad?

Trying to figure out why my soil is molding. We are using Roots Organic with Wiggle Worm Soil Builder Earthworm Castings mixed into the top soil. There has been a heat/humidity issue that we are working to correct but I have found mixed info. Some say to treat the mold with some peroxide mixed into the water, others have said it is good because it is organic soil so it is part of the breakdown process. It seems to mainly be growing on the worm castings and the bags we recently purchased and used seemed way too moist.

When we first saw the mold on the top inch or so of soil 2 days ago we worried and removed the top inch of soil and misted the top of the remaining soil with 1:1 vinegar water. Now I am unsure if that was necessary. Advice?

1 Like

If you want to get rid of it you can spray it with a 5% hydrogen peroxide / 95% water solution.

So I should just leave it? Mix it in? It won’t take over or affect the growing plants?

I’m sorry I got the names mixed up it’s mycelium fungus not saprophadic good thing I Googled it damn I apologize. No wonder you asked if you should kill it you probably did search saprophadic and that is the bad stuff mycelium is good for your plants

2 Likes

I looked at that leaf in the one pic and assumed that it was cannabis. I’m not able to delete messages.

1 Like

That’s cool it’s not so bad it’s just a wrong name and it won’t hurt anything if you have either one. One makes plant food and the other eats plant food. Thanks

1 Like

If you go to that post & click the three dots next to reply you can delete your own messages.

2 Likes

I tried to but couldn’t it let me delete the one but figured I was only allowed to do one for some reason. I tried again now and it worked. Maybe I did something wrong just wasn’t my day I guess

1 Like

Zoom in to the white blotches, mycelium is starting to form, needs a bit more time!

That’s mycelium it’s good stuff, it breaks down the organic material and feeds it to the other bacteria that feed it to the plants… the circle of life :laughing: and if I’m not mistaken it also releases some co2, not a lot but some

1 Like

Maybe i should of put this in the Fungi category…:sunglasses:

1 Like