Soil mixture advise

question from a fellow grower:

I purchased all AUTO FEM SHORT strains. I learned of the need to provide lower levels of nutrients to auto flowering strains versus regular strains. I am making my own soil with Organic Potting Soil + Organic Peat Moss + Perlite + Vermiculite + Volcanic Crushed Rock + Organic Worm Compost/Worm Juice - which includes composted chicken poop + FLOWER FUEL BLOOM BOOSTER + BLUEGOLD SUPER CARB . Do you have recommendations on the ratio of correct mixture ratios of soil compounds? Are 3 Gallon Breathable Reusable Grow Bags large enough for short auto flowering strains? Am I missing anything to “build healthy living organic soil” to grow large healthy auto flowering strains? I will be growing both indoors & outside. I have (1) 400 HPS + (2) Lighting Labs Pro Grow Series - LED Grow Bulb - 2 PK, 80 Watt Output from two 40 Watt bulbs, Full Spectrum, Red and Blue tuned for maximum flowering + AeroGarden 20 Watt Grow light. I have mylar covered sheet rock enclosing the “grow room”. Please advise your thoughts on how many plants I can grow to maximize their grow & the correct nutrient application of soil composition & nutrient application to soil / foliage.

@garrigan62 is our resident soil expert or @Rugar89

Welcome To ILGM

I hope this is what your looking for. You may want to copy and past to your files.

Will

The Mix

Here are the amounts we’ve found will produce the best-tasting buds and strongest medicines:

8 large bags of a high-quality organic potting soil with coco fiber and mycorrhizae (i.e., your base soil)
25 to 50 lbs of organic worm castings
5 lbs steamed bone meal
5 lbs Bloom bat guano
5 lbs blood meal
3 lbs rock phosphate
Ă‚Âľ cup Epson salts
½ cup sweet lime (dolomite)
½ cup azomite (trace elements)
2 tbsp powdered humic acid

This is the same basic recipe I’ve been using for the past 15 years. The hardest ingredient to acquire are the worm castings (especially since many people don’t even know what they are. FYI: worm poop). But don’t decide to just skip them: Be resourceful. After all, worms comprise up to ¾ of the living organisms found underground, and they’re crucial to holding our planet together. Also, don’t waste money on a “soil conditioner” with worm castings; source out some local pure worm poop with no added mulch.

Full Recipe

8 large bags of a high-quality organic potting soil with coco fiber and mycorrhizae (i.e., your base soil)
25 to 50 lbs of organic worm castings
5 lbs steamed bone meal
5 lbs bloom bat guano
5 lbs blood meal
3 lbs rock phosphate
Ă‚Âľ cup Epson salts
½ cup sweet lime (dolomite)
½ cup azomite (trace elements)
2 tablespoons powdered humic acid

1/2 Recipe

4 large bags of a high-quality organic potting soil with coco fiber and mycorrhizae (i.e., your base soil)
12.5 to 25 lbs of organic worm castings
2.5lbs steamed bone meal
2.5lbs bloom bat guano
2.5lbs blood meal
1.5lbs rock phosphate
3/8 cup or 6 tablespoons Epsom Salts
1/4 cup or 4 tablespoon sweet lime (dolomite)
1/4 cup or 4 tablespoons azomite (trace elements)
1 tablespoon powdered humic acid

1/4 Recipe

2 large bags of a high-quality organic potting soil with coco fiber and mycorrhizae (i.e., your base soil)
6.25 to 12.5 lbs of organic worm castings
1.25lbs or 20 ounces steamed bone meal
1.25lbs or 20 ounces bloom bat guano
1.25lbs or 20 ounces blood meal
3/4 lbs rock phosphate
3/16 cup or 3 tablespoons Epsom Salts
1/8 cup or 2 tablespoons sweet lime (dolomite)
1/8 cup or 2 tablespoons azomite (trace elements)
1.5 teaspoons powdered humic acid

1/8 Recipe

1 large bags of a high-quality organic potting soil with coco fiber and mycorrhizae (i.e., your base soil)
3.125 to 6.25 lbs of organic worm castings
.625 lbs or 5/8 lbs or 10 ounces steamed bone meal
.625 lbs or 5/8 lbs or 10 ounces bloom bat guano
.625 lbs or 5/8 lbs or 10 ounces blood meal
3/8 lbs or 6 ounces rock phosphate
3/32 cup or 1.5 tablespoons Epsom Salts
1/16 cup or 1 tablespoon sweet lime (dolomite)
1/16 cup or 1 tablespoon azomite (trace elements)
3/4 teaspoon powdered humic acid

4 Likes