Soil mix in containers for outdoors autoflower

I am all ears for you @KeystoneCops

If you can start a few garden plots outside your home, it’s possible to grow your own soil. It could be as small as four individual beds. The idea would be to build biomass from hardy native plants, and use them as green manure. At the same time, any manure can be used, regardless of the animal type, as long as you let it rot for a year or three.

Also, if you aren’t already, you can compost your vegetable scraps mixed with the fallen oak leaves. Personally, I add 5:1 leaves to scraps initially.

Unfortunately I don’t have space for plots outside my home. I started composting in a recycle bin my scraps but it is not ready yet.

I would like to start my plants in the 1st of August to harvest in October. With what I have, I am really in doubt if I will get good results.

There’s a saying: The best time to plant a tree was last year; The second best time is today.

Your kitchen scraps alone won’t efficiently become compost. The leaves bring in abundant organic carbon, and the food waste fuels the microbial processes that turn it all into wonderful compost. In time, you can begin to amend the soil you have with that compost.

Hehe well said!

Yes I am adding dry leaves to my food wastes in a 1:1 ratio. I should make it 3:1 or more as you suggested.

However I will start to do the mix tomorrow giving it some molasses and some teas.

Thank you for your time. I am going to sleep now. Goodnight.

1 Like

Actually, my carbon:nitrogen ratio is closer to 30:1. I have a considerable amount of pine shavings in there which was animal litter. Once the pile is on the down slope of activity, I add some urine which is free.

If you want to add microbes to your mix, you can make IMO and sprouted seed teas, but those need to be done right.

What do you mean by IMO?

I will learn how to compost better reading here and there :blush:

Wow I red about IMO with rice, I should try it hehe thanks buddy

1 Like