Soil grow options

I have been using So Hum soil for a few times and I wanna try something else. I want to start growing in different soil and use flower boosters or fertilizers that give me a better yeild. Any suggestions?? I have been hearing people getting good results with fox farm bloom and other fox farm products. Also I am wanting to be able to extend vegatative stage longer. I am running a 3x3 grow tent with 600 MH/HPS with scrog net. I just want to try something different.

Pro mix bx is what I love to use from seed to harvest. I like it because you are the person putting in the nutes it’s not in the soil there is just enough to start seeds and bundles are cheap

4 Likes

My first grow, which iam still in 7 1/2 weeks, i used happy frog in 5 gal buckets, i started some more plants 1 month later and i mixed happy frog and the ocean ,basically happy frog on bottom and ocean forest on top, so far so good20190825_063228|666x500

1 Like

I really like ffof. I have had no problems with seedlings. ( all autos). They are put in first week and stay till the end. Here is one starting flower and all I have had to add was calmag and water. I expect to soon start with flower nutes but till now it’s been great.

1 Like

Pro mix bx isn’t super soil is it? I am goong to look more into that cause I feel if I give my plants nutes myself I will be able to get bigger yeilds. What nutes would you prefer and will I have to flush the plants when its ready for harvest?

@Painfree @Tinman geez! Yalls plants look beautiful!!! Ive heard happy frog and ocean forest is really good to use. With these soils adding my own nutes I will be able to keep plants in vegitative stage longer? I know with SoHum soil I can’t keep them in vegitative stage as long as I want. Also do yall use perlite with soil? Also with usin farm fox and/or ocean farm soil will I have to PH test the soil?

1 Like

What @Hogmaster is referring to is a ‘media’ grow. I use Promix HP with great success and I have always used General Hydroponics’ line of nutrients and supplements. FF makes good stuff but is expensive. GH however is owned by Monsanto (Scott’s) so if that bugs you…

The media is engineered carefully to provide just enough moisture retention yet remain loose and airy that it’s ideal to use for growing in, so long as you provide literally everything for it. Using this you can get growth rates approaching hydro and heavy yields. Here’s a 60/40 sativa I’m growing now:

5 Likes

I have the fox farm trio for nutrients, I didn’t start giving them nutrients till week 4 and still only gave half the recommended dose and only fed once a week , week 6 I gave full dose, I ph my water as well as my nutrients. Fed full dose yesterday @ 6.5 and 960 ppm, my run off was 6.2 and 1100 ppm. So far so good hope my buds get bigger though, lol

1 Like

@Myfriendis410 so Promix will be cheaper? If I decide to go for Promix when should I start using nutes? Will I have to get potting soil to mix in with Promix? For 1 bag of Sohum soil fills up 2 5 gal buckets and its about 60$ but the more the plants I have the more it will be. Your plants look amazing by the way! Promix doesn’t ph balace itself like super soil does it? Cause I use regualar tap water. Also if GH does a difference in yeild i’ll for sure get it.

1 Like

Week 4 of vegitative stage or flower stage? Is that tue only nutes your using? I would love to see the outcome of them when there ready.

This is from last grow. It is GG4 I keep ththinking to myself that those buds should be fatter and produce more yeilds. I am running a 600 watt mh/hps in a 3x3 tent

3 Likes

They are autos, 2 bb , 1 northern, and 1 amnesia

1 Like

It’s a media like coco and would be used in a similar manner. Coco is less expensive but my gigantic bag has been in use for over a year now haha. And you can reuse it. GH nutes are in line with other nutrient lines out there without any marketing hype.

You have to PH the input liquid as the nutrients you put in will affect whatever base PH you have. In many cases as is and in others you have to adjust.

I would say whatever way you go to try to use cannabis optimized components as the requirements are somewhat different from other plants. Being smokeable is important as well which is why not many folks use Miracle Gro, for example.

1 Like

Like @Hogmaster and @Myfriendis410 I too have jumped on the PRoMix bandwagon. Was using a mixture of MG and garden soil to begin with, not much control when it came to nutes though. Switched to ProMix and Fox Farm trio nutrients and I could not be happier, both indoor and outdoor grows.

The only real speed bump I had when starting out, I was using the same schedule as before. Which turned out not to be enough. But if you keep an eye on your plant(s) you’ll learn their needs. I will say, outdoors my plants tend to be real thirsty.

4 Likes

@dunnitagain They look beautiful! @Myfriendis410 So with promix I won’t have to add any extra soil or anything unless I use nutrients and have to ph balance water? Sorry this is the first time I have ever heard about Promix. If I choose coca coir is it organic? Also if I use ILGM nutrients or Fox Farm nutrients like Flower bloomer (I think what it’s called) will I have to add anything else in it? I want to be able to get a good soil base so that way I can get big yeild and more importantly easier to keep plants healthy. The thing I don’t like about SoHum soil is that I can’t reuse it and 1 bag 50-60$ fills 2 5 gal buckets perfectly nothing more. I was even thinking about growing in just water but I kinda wanna do another grow before I do that. I got another question also this might be a stupid question but if I have a 600 watt hps/mh light system will I have to change the light fixture to be able to use a 1200 watt hps/mh bulb? I know if I go to 1200 watt light I have to change the ballist.

1 Like

Promix is a peat-based media designed to do a similar job to coco. Chief difference is it’s PH’d to a higher number than coco. I like it a bit better as it seems to have a bit more loft to it. With either of these (technical term is ‘soilless’) you have to provide everything for the plant.

Both products are organic but coco is a renewable resource while peat is not.

Generally nutrient lines have a number of specific use products; some require all or most of them to give the plant all it needs.

1 Like

Okay I understand now. What is a good nutrient and ph balance set up/mix to use with promix? Like something simple?

1 Like

I like GH, Fox Farms, Advanced Nutrients etc are all great with devotees and critics of all of them. General Hydroponics is fairly economical and well made ingredients.

1 Like

What about Liquid seaweed? I have been looking into that and the only question is if I use liquid seaweed everyday will it kill the plant? Also if I add some liquid seaweed in my blumat system to water plants when soil gets dry if it will kill or hurt the plants? I’m only using blumat system when I am away from the house for few days. I want to use liquid seaweed for vegitative stage and flowering thats all. @Myfriendis410

2 Likes

@Covertgrower, @Mrcrabs can you answer this question?

1 Like