Soil for seedlings

Hello hope everybody is doing well. Question what is everybody’s go to soil for seedlings? Thank you very much for your time and Happy growing

4 Likes

Basically a light soilless mix with no synthetic nutrients (many potting mixes, miracle grow contain unwanted nutrients) Sometimes the bag will say it feeds for a couple weeks. Look at the nutrient sources. If coming from worm poo, bat drop, Kelp, aged forest products, then is probably OK.
Common name brand is Fox Farm Happy Frog or Light Warrior.
Mixes with most coco coir or peat. Fox Farm Coco Loco
I used to use Purple Cow Seed Starter - with OMRI nutrients.
Now just use coco and Jack’s

4 Likes

I just keep it simple and use happy frog from start to finish.

7 Likes

I use Roots Organic 707. It’s lightly amended. Feedings start about 2 weeks in or so. Fungus gnats can get a little wild tho.

3 Likes

Ditto…

5 Likes

I bought a couple bags of Coast of Maine Raised Bed & on another thread, I was told that it is too “hot” for seedlings. Was wondering how long before they could be transplanted into this mixture.

I’ve had equal success with these and the FFOF.

4 Likes

espoma seed starter mix works for me…no nutes, but has mykos and azos for root development.

3 Likes

Black gold has a good seedling starter soil , Also Have never had a problem using happy frog.
Good luck :v:

2 Likes

Thank you for everybody’s feedback. I usually mix up my own little soil concoction from stuff I get from the local hardware store. But they stopped carrying some of the stuff I use and I’m running out. So it’s about time to switch up. Happy Frog is what I was leaning towards. I’m a big Fox Farm supporter :slight_smile: glad to hear there’s some other people suggesting happy frog. I think that’s what I’ll go with and add it to what I have left of my concoction. Thank you again for everybody’s feedback and happy growing

3 Likes

I’ve been using FF Light Warrior. I really like it.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t use anything miracle gro. Miracle “no-no”

1 Like