Sohum Living Soil

Im currently using Coast of Main Stonington Blend. I want to try something different. Has anyone tried Sohum Living Soil? Any pros or cons? The only con i see is that its not recommended for seendlings, but can carry a transplant all the way to harvest with water only with no PHing. ( although i PH my water to 6.5 ). Any suggestions on a water only living soil?

3 Likes

@iDontKnowGrow used SoHum. If I’m recalling correctly, it didn’t last a full grow in terms of nutrient availability, but it seemed like a good soil generally.

Gonna grab @MeEasy @Storm @JaneQP @Twelve1 - these folks do water-only grows, I think mostly using Earth Dust as a soil amendment but Earth Dust is no more. I believe MeEasy found an alternative. They should, I hope, have some general soil knowledge and insight that I lack

4 Likes

TY for the tag @Graysin

@iDontKnowGrow

I am not familiar with Sohum. I have been growing in living soil with Dr. Earth first and the Earthdust.

I purchased Highway Dust and received some samples from Simply Professional. I am also waiting on another product sample. I have four clones ready for transplant and I am going to try four different nutrient lines and decide on which to use going forward.

Best to you!

4 Likes

I only used it my first grow but Sohum worked great for me. Your right they don’t recommend starting in it. It might not last the whole grow, I ended up having to feed some in the end using 5 gall pots. Here’s there chart on that

3 Likes

@iDontKnowGrow thank you for your insight. It seems like its abou the same as COM. 5 gallon container lasts about 30 days until an amendment is needed. Ive had good luck with COM so far, just curious about other choices out there.

2 Likes

I am currently using the Sohum professional soil i emailed them they said you do need to PH your water but absolutely don’t need to add no nutes i got a super skunk auto in week 2 of flower and have only just watered

4 Likes

@Graysin @JaneQP @iDontKnowGrow

Ive come across some stuff from a company called Elm Dirt out of Missouri. Ever heard of them ?

Never heard of them but I’d be curious to see folks’ experience with them. Particularly the amendments, the ancient soil & bloomin’ soil - added to something that tends to fall short on the water only spectrum. Perhaps even in coco coir …

I’m smelling an experiment coming.

2 Likes

@ChittyChittyBangin email them and ask if they would give you a free sample set to try out.

2 Likes

I received a free sample set from simply professional and one coming from Indogro (Terra something). I want to try out four different nutrient lines so I can figure what works best for my available time.

Best to you @ChittyChittyBangin

3 Likes

@Graysin @JaneQP

Heres the answer :smile:

2 Likes

@Graysin The experimenting will begin in a few days. Im going to go with ZSkittlez and Durban Poison photos. One of each and ill do two more with COM and we will see the comparison.

2 Likes

I suggest using clones if you want conclusive results. But general ideas is also good!