Soaking seeds in purified water

So I soaked my seeds in purified water for about 32 hours. None had “tails” I could see a few had a little white along the seem of the seed, but I’m nervous I screwed up.

I gently pulled them from the water with tweezers and put them into Jiffy peat moss pellets. They are moist under a clear cup in my dark closet upstairs.

…any suggestions will make me feel better.

I only soak mine for 24 hours then straight to soil, 8 for 8 so far

3 Likes

Thank you, did yours have tails?

No tails

1 Like

Thank you that makes me feel better. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Shot glass, distilled water, 2-4 drops of hydrogen peroxide, dark closet 24-48 hours. Then, pour the contents of the shot glass into moist paper towels, keep them moist. Works almost, every time. Most of all… be patient!!

1 Like

I’ll try that next time. I have them planted in the peat moss pellets now and don’t want to disturb them if they are doing ok.

I checked pH of my water…it is 6.8-7.2 no chlorine. Should I add anything or just spritz the top daily.

Yes, I have read the Bible and so much more but now I worry…

1 Like

I use RO/bottled drinking water. Keep your PH between 6.5-6.8 & you’ll be good. Mist/spritz the cubes. Don’t over do it! You want the roots to search for water/food.

2 Likes

I use the paper towel method and a warm place works everytime for me

2 Likes

48 hours later they all have tails

1 Like

I was going to do that method but again “worried” I would break them when I transplanted them. I guess if it was only 48 hours the root wouldn’t be too long yet. I did that when I was in high school and the stem stuck to the paper towel and it broke. I’m trying to be meticulous in this new venture.

2 Likes

Yeah I havent had any issue as soon as I see the roots I put in medium

1 Like

The paper towel method does work really well. It is also incredibly easy to let the paper towel dry out and kill your seeds. Keep that in mind if you go that route @MI . Not an issue, you simply need to pay attention.
I also soak ~24-26 hours then put it directly in a Solo cup with moist Pro-Mix HP. I put the whole thing on a heat mat for a week or so until I get a healthy seedling on it’s way.
Works for me every time.

2 Likes

Bong hit, weed brownie, and a massage. Works every time forme.

5 Likes

That’s the method I shall use. Many seasoned vets swear by it. Tweezers into dirt, point end down i believe?

1 Like

soak for 24 hrs. move to moist paper towel, do not let dry out. when tap root is 1/4"+ transplant. do not wait too long as root will send out small anchor roots and adhere to the paper.

1 Like