So I made a c02 generator

And I honestly don’t know if its working it should right?

1 Like

Whatcha got there?

Dry ice? It’s not the most reliable source, but is commonly used.

1 Like

Alright so on the top is activated yeast with a straw connected to the bottom which is water and a straw feeding the co2 generation out of the top. I honestly need a better design

What do you do to use dry ice?

Place it in the grow area. Dry ice is CO2. It doesn’t melt, it turns to gas

1 Like

Wait, like just a bucket of dry ice?

Yup. Like I said. It’s not really reliable/controllable. I’ll find the article.

Ima start doing that cause I spent like 4 hours making this and I couldn’t get a proper seal, though I do think my girl is really really liking it

CO2 Generator

A CO2 generator burns propane, ethyl alcohol, or natural gas to produce CO2 for your grow space.

Highly Recommended!
(as long as you use a CO2 generator with safety features)

CO2 generator actually makes CO2 by burning natural gas or propane

Pros:

Many of these can be hooked up to a monitor for no-worries, automatic CO2 enrichment
Generates CO2 by burning propane, denatured alcohol, or natural gas
The smell from combustion can help cover up odors
Cons:

A monitor will help you regulate the CO2 PPM levels from a CO2 generator in your grow room

Increases humidity in a sealed grow room
Can produce heat
In order to burn enough fuel to reach the proper CO2 levels, you sometimes run into adverse side effects, such as producing an unhealthy amount of dangerous carbon monoxide. It’s important to only use safe ways of generating CO2.
It’s dangerous to store your bottled fuels indoors (some people are able to use their municipal natural gas, and don’t need to store fuel, which makes this point moot for them).
Note: The cheaper methods of CO2 generation (like burning denatured alcohol in a small stove) make CO2 hard to regulate and can be very unsafe… Don’t use these methods! Only use a professional CO2 Generator!

Because these methods use an open flame and combustion to produce CO2 in a sealed area, there are many safety and fire concerns with this method. It’s highly recommended that you buy a CO2 generator that has safety features to help prevent fires.

Learn more about getting set up with a CO2 generator

2.) Compressed CO2

Compressed CO2 usually come in bottles or tanks. Compressed CO2 can be one of the most controlled ways of injecting CO2 to your grow space.

Highly Recommended!

Compressed CO2 tanks are one way to supplement CO2 in your marijuana grow roomPros:

Simple, effective way to get started
Ability to have fine control over PPM in a room using a regulator or controller
Can be automated with a controller, so relatively automatic once everything is set up
Cons:

If you get compressed CO2, you’ll need a CO2 regulator & valve

The equipment you need to get started is expensive, this is one of the most expensive ways to get started with enriching CO2
You must lug tanks of CO2 to and from your grow area, which is a possible security concern depending on your grow area and where you get your CO2
Tanks can explode if there’s a fire
You can enrich the air with CO2 beyond what’s safe for plants or people, so you must use great care to keep the PPM in the right range, and to avoid breathing air in your sealed grow area.
In some places, you may need a permit or license to get tanked or bottled CO2
Note: It’s usually cheaper to get tanked CO2 from a welding supply store as opposed to a hydroponics store

Learn more about getting set up with compressed CO2

3.) Fermentation

Fermentation uses natural processes to produce CO2.

Notes:

Produces relatively low levels of CO2
Can cause an unpleasant odor during the fermentation process

4.) CO2 Bags

CO2 bags use mycelial mass (fungi) growing on organic matter to produce CO2.

CO2 bags like the “Exhale” system claim to naturally provide CO2 for your grow room

Notes:

Even in a very small space, growers may need to hang 4-5 or more bags (or more!) over their plants in order to achieve the right PPM in their grow area.
Some growers have trouble getting the fungus to grow properly (although you’re not supposed to need to do anything for these bags to work)

5.) Compost

Some growers use the composting process, which produces a small amount of CO2.

Compost methods to enrich CO2 for marijuana include “CO2 Boost”

Notes:

Often smelly and unsanitary
With home-made compost, it’s very difficult to know if you’re even adding a significant amount of CO2.
The pre-made systems like CO2 Boost are better, but they’re still expensive and don’t produce a whole lot of CO2

6.) Dry ice

Dry Ice is made of cold, solid CO2. As it warms up, it releases that CO2 into the air. While this method can be effective in the short term, it can be incredibly expensive and time-consuming to keep this method going for long.

Pros:

Very small cost to get started, since dry ice is relatively cheap and easy to obtain
The biggest safety hazard is burning your skin from touching the dry ice without protection
Does not raise the temperature of grow room, in fact, dry ice will slightly cool your grow room
Cons:

Not recommended for long-term use because it can be a huge pain and expense in the long run since dry ice doesn’t last long
Must manually keep adding dry ice at least once/day
Can be very tough to regulate the CO2 levels in the air
Dry ice must be used immediately, so you’ll be constantly going back for more

Pros and Cons of Using CO2 for Growing Cannabis

Benefits of Adding Extra CO2

Bigger Yields, Faster Growth – If you’ve maxed out the other limiting factors (especially light), CO2 can make your plants grow up to 20% faster, produce bigger plants, and enhance your yields.
Higher Temperature is Okay – Maintaining 1200-1500 PPM of CO2 in the grow area allows growers to keep temperatures much higher than normal, up to 95°F (30°C). For growers with hot bright lights, this can make it easier to keep temps at a range their plants will like.
Security – CO2 enrichment can be beneficial for security if you seal your grow room since you’re not venting out smelly air. Certain methods of adding CO2 like using a CO2 generator will also create natural smells that help cover up the smell of cannabis directly.
Disadvantages of Adding Extra CO2

Not As Effective If You Don’t Have Bright Grow Lights – As far as light intensity is concerned, you probably need either MH/HPS or strong LED grow lights to produce bright enough light for your plant to be able to use the extra CO2. CFLs and T5s probably aren’t bright enough to get great results with CO2.
May Need to Seal the Grow Area – Although adding just a little CO2 doesn’t require a sealed room when trying to maintain very high levels of CO2 (like 1200-1500 PPM) you probably need to seal up grow area so it’s airtight in order to prevent CO2 from leaking out.
Cost of Adding Extra CO2 – It can be expensive to get started if you want to inject a whole lot of CO2 into your grow area, for example in big grow operations. The cheapest ways to add CO2 are actually not very good at providing a lot of CO2 over time but can be a great way to “dip your feet” and try CO2 out. The best CO2 setups in the long run are a bit more pricey to get started with, though they become a lot cheaper once you’ve got your initial supplies.

How Much CO2 Do I Need?

Maintain 1200-1500 PPM of CO2 in grow room for best results when growing marijuana

Millions of years ago when plants were evolving there were much higher levels of CO2 in the air than there is now. As a result, plants evolved to be able to use higher amounts of CO2 as part of the photosynthesis process, up to about 1500 ppm (parts per million).

Even though CO2 levels in the air are much lower today at around 400 PPM, plants are still able to use CO2 levels at the higher concentrations, allowing them to produce more energy from the same amount of light. Growers can take advantage of this increased growth by providing extra CO2.

That means in order for CO2 enrichment to be the most effective, you want to maintain levels up to 1500 ppm of CO2 in your grow space with very bright light.

Plants Can Use Up to 1200-1500 PPM of CO2

CO2 supplementation works best when everything else in the grow space has already been optimized, and for most growers, a little optimization may result in even bigger returns on yields than adding CO2!

If you’re using smaller grow lights with lower light levels, you will need less CO2!
Plants should have fast & healthy growth – No nutrient problems and no pest problems if possible. It will also maximize your yields by using plant training. Healthy and vibrant plants respond really well to extra CO2

2 Likes

Where do I get the stuff to measure c02 levels?

https://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-Autopilot-Desktop-Monitor-Logger/dp/B01FYWU2IS/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=co2+meter&qid=1626515983&sr=8-3
Or ink bird, it doesn’t log tho
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B096ZYMYMX/ref=sspa_mw_detail_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&pd_rd_i=B096ZYMYMXp13NParams

Tyty <3

1 Like

You could always make your own myco bag. They are super easy to make. All you need is a gusseted spawn bag with a tyvek filter…like this…

A pressure canner
A liquid culture syringe

And some wild birdseed
You’ll have to do a lil research on how to prep it, but it’s not hard and if you can figure that part out, your already 50% of the way to learning how to grow boomers at the same time. You won’t get a huge helping of Co2 but it will give you some, and without a sealed environment this will be the less wasteful.

1 Like

I got the culture syringe and a grain bags, say I start the mushrooms. How do I get the c02 into the tent?

Doesn’t the bags need to be in a dark place? How can I do this under a lamp?

Idk why i called my grow light a lamp lul but uk what I mean ahahhahahahah

1 Like

This is a premade myco bag.

2 Likes

Lamp is the appropriate term. Light is what lamps provide.

1 Like

I see i can also have an unlimited supply if I get a pressure cooker, this is really neat

1 Like