So hum and pH Battle

Hello fellow awesome growers

I am using So hum which seems to be a good soil

plant looks healthy however now the bottom is turning yellow seeming to be a nute lock slowly rising

The werid part is i feel like we have to lower the ph of the water because when tested the soil with water, is 8.0 its too good of pH. Seems like the ph goes up the longer the water sits in smart pot

I guess this is for more of clarification

Have in grow tent(indoor) but we leave the door open I dont know if thats hurting anything

Because

The bottom ones not getting light anymore

Also use filter water from pur which is about 7 but we are testing dumbing it down

Thank you for your time

2 Likes

You have two things going on here/

1.) Is Overwatering.

Over watering

Over watering is one of the biggest mistakes new growers make, reason for this is, because they feel
the need to give there plant everything and will overdue a lot of things and one of them is over
watering. By over watering your plant you soak the roots so much, they can’t get enough oxygen
and slowly die. The plant shows signs of over watering by: Wilting, droopy look, yellow and or dead
leaves falling off, which includes leaves that don’t look dead falling off. One of the best ways to
tell how NOT to over water is by, picking up the pot when it is dry and then picking up the pot after
you water. (This is a reason why it’s smart to use light pots.) When you water, you want to water just
enough to where you see a bit of water coming out of the bottom, not gushing or pouring out
. Just enough to see a little bit, then you know the plant has enough water. To prevent over watering
you can either: add more perlite to your soil, add hydrogen peroxide to your water for extra oxygen,
all the while killing bacteria if any in the soil. After watering, wait a few days to water. Mj plants
like a good watering and then a couple days to dry out in between watering. So it’s very easy t
o over water. Besides the weight of the pot, another way to test if your plant needs water is to stick
your index finger a couple inches into the soil. If the soil at the tip of your finger feels almost dry,
then it’s time to water again. The top of the soil should be allowed to dry out between waterings if it’s
still moist the plant does NOT need watered. You can also use a moisture meter which will tell you the level
of moisture down in the soil. You can buy them at most garden supplies or hydro shops.
Here is a picture of what over watering looks like:

2.) Your P H is way, way off

How to Adjust pH When Growing Organic Cannabis

Question: What’s the Best Way to Adjust pH If I’m Growing in Organic Soil?

How do I manage the pH of my soil when growing organically?

Young marijuana plant is loving lifeMore info: I’ve heard that many pH control
kits can kill beneficial bacteria in the soil.

I was watering my cannabis plants tonight, and I mixed in a half strength dose
of bloom nutes. So I test the PH and it is right in range, about 6.5. When I
tested the runoff, it was really acidic at around 5.5.

What am I doing wrong, and how do I correct pH in my organic soil without hurting
the micro-organisms the help the roots?

Answer

1.) Usually You Don’t Need to Worry About pH When Growing Cannabis With Organic Soil

As long as you’re starting with a good water source, usually you don’t have to
think too much about pH during your grow.

When growing cannabis in organic soil, you usually don’t need to adjust pH, but if
you do you want to use natural sources of PH Up and PH Down

However, when growing cannabis in organic soil, some of the most important things
happen before you even germinate your plants. The more effort you put into starting
with great organic super soil, the less you’ll have to worry about during the actual
grow itself. If you’ve set things up properly, pH won’t be a problem for you!

When growing marijuana organically in a super soil environment, there are tiny
organisms in the soil that break down nutrients and “feed” them directly to your roots.
When you enlist the microorganisms to do the work of making nutrients available to the roots,
pH management stops being something you have to do!

When growing organically, you also depend on your soil and the various components to
automatically buffer the pH. Starting with the right soil will make things a lot easier
for you!

Learn how to make organic super soil (custom-formulated soil for cannabis plants – for
those who want to do organic growing the “real” way and just water their plants, without
having to worry about pH or giving nutrients)

Unless you are noticing actual symptoms of nutrient lockout (nutrient deficiencies) than
pH adjustment is probably not necessary.

Don’t let your nutrients run out!

If you’re starting with regular (non-composted) organic soil, than your plants will
quickly use up all the nutrients in the soil and you will either have to transplant
to new, fresh soil every 3-4 weeks or supplement with a proven organic nutrient line
like the GO box. It’s especially important to make sure your plant doesn’t run out of
nutrients in the flowering stage or it will dramatically lower your yields! Once of
the cool things about composted soil is the nutrients break down slowly over the course
of your grow, giving your plants the right amount of nutrients at the right time.

But if you are using liquid nutrients, it becomes important again to make sure you’re
testing the pH of the water going in and out. Even organic liquid nutrients are only
readily available to your plants if the pH is in the right range. But since you don’t
want to disturb the microorganisms in the soil, try to only actually adjust the pH if
you notice pH nutrient problems in your plants.

In general with organic growing, it’s recommended you do not adjust or try to manage
pH until you know something is wrong. In organic growing “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.”

Occasionally you may need to adjust the pH of your organic super soil to ensure the
best marijuana growth!

2.) Organic Ways to Adjust pH – For When There’s a Nutrient Problem!

If you’re seeing nutrient problems on your plant, and you know your plant hasn’t used
up all the nutrients, the first thing to always check is the pH! Check the pH of the
water that’s going into your plant, as well as the runoff water that’s coming out the
bottom. In soil you want to maintain a pH of 6-7.

If you do notice nutrient problems, the first thing to do is check the pH of the water
going in and out!

Get a pH test kit on Amazon.com Get a pH tester on Amazon.com
Learn how to check the pH of your soil

If your pH is outside the 6-7 range, you may need to adjust the pH to avoid further
nutrient lockout on your cannabis plants. But since you’re growing in organis soil,
if you do want to adjust pH, you should use an organic source.

Luckily, there are natural sources of PH Up and PH Down, many of which you can actually
find around the house!

Get Organic PH Down on Amazon - Earth Juice Natural PH DownGet Organic pH Down on
Amazon.com - Earth Juice Natural pH DownOrganic “pH Down”
•lime
•lemon
•vinegar
•Earth Juice Natural pH Down

Organic “pH Up”
•baking soda
•Earth Juice Natural pH Up

Note: Dolomite Lime acts as a natural pH buffer and will help keep the pH constant
when added to your soil during the compost process. It can also help correct acidic
soil up to a certain point. If you have just realized your soil pH is too low, try
to find powdered dolomite lime, as the larger chunks take longer to break down, though
be careful that you don’t add more than instructed, lime is “hot” (has relatively high
levels of nutrients) and can burn your plant in too-high doses. The larger chunks should
be okay if you’re just looking for a pH buffer.

Using an inorganic pH adjuster (like the pH Up and Down that come with most pH adjustment
kits, for example the General Hydroponics pH kit) may actually damage your microherd
(beneficial bacteria) and can set your marijuana plants back as far as nutrient
breakdown / absorption is concerned.

8 Likes

Wow appreciate the response real talk

Reading it now

Also

I ph⬇ it to 6.0 waited 2 days then to 5.0 to 5.5 around that and still it’s rising to 8.0.

I also tested seperate soil just the soil no plant at 4.0 still raises to 7.5 to 8.0.

2 Likes

How are you measuring PH? If you are using drops or strips or a soil probe it’s almost impossible to get a really accurate reading. A digital PH meter that you can calibrate along with a Standard Reference Solution (7.0 PH) and some PH UP and DOWN are really important tools for the grower.

When you adjust the PH the original liquid tends to want to move back to it’s original PH. It can take less than 8 hours to do that. Several applications of PH adjustment may be necessary to effect any change. There are other materials available to raise the PH like the use of dolomite lime.

2 Likes

Hello :slight_smile:

we are using this

and also the hydroponics drop test

Our filtered water on both tests was 7pH so we dropped it down(which we just found out is bad for organic soil (only used it twice in soil recently when we saw yellowing)

and now we believe from those two uses of hydro pH up and down it might have sped up yellowing

Now we believe we need to change to fresh soil to remove the hydro if possible.

digital pH and new pot on the way.

3 Likes

You know if push comes to shove, just transplant into new soil that you know is P H ed and don’t waste anymore time on that soil. That’s what I would do. Tag me when you do and I well give you some awesome tips so that your plants won’t have any stress and will look and feel so much better in just a few day’s

Will

Appreciate it big dog thats seems like the best thing to do.

will do Will :smiley:

2 Likes

I totally agree with ya. So when your ready let me know. I’ll have it all written up for ya. P.S you’ll need some hydrogen Peroxide Root stimlitor and Liquide Thrive that’s it my friend

1 Like

Yeah; that gauge is worthless.

Here’s what I recommend:

https://www.amazon.com/Apera-Instruments-AI209-Waterproof-Accuracy/dp/B078NPH1W3/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544744193&sr=8-3&keywords=apera+ph20

Any use of PH up or down is strictly short term and the soil will eventually dominate the PH back to or close to original values. There are tricks you can use to take advantage of change in PH over time but right now it’s best to get back on track. I would strongly suggest you latch onto @garrigan62 and follow his advice: he’ll steer you right.

2 Likes

Ok cool I’ll be looking into getting some of that soon appreciate that too :smiley:

Ok cool I like the way it looks too lol imma look into this Aswell appreciate the info bro

1 Like

don’t do that, get in the 6.3-6.9 range with the drops for now.!!
and do not use your multi-meter for measuring ‘soil’ pH,
it is an okay light meter and a good moisture meter, but the pH portion is junk.
WIN_20181001_17_35_07_Pro

this one is 15 - 20 yrs old and running on the original battery.! lol
the silver probe is now wrapped around the meter so i can stick the copper colored one into the bottom holes of pots to read moisture levels.!!

Use your moisture meter, measure at the bottom of the pots where the roots grow,
only water/feed when it reads down in the ‘moist’ area close to or on the ‘dry’.

WIN_20181213_23_16_48_Pro

i was too scared to cut it off so i wrapped it around the meter head,
skeered the meter would stop working if the silver probe was cut off.

Thank you for the response
Sorry for my late response

Thanks we will not use that pH meter anymore thanks for that tip bro

1 Like

Ok we got everything now thanks again.

do we still put the soil that contains the roots in the new soil or try and remove them?

since in our case we added the wrong pH to organic and also having pH lockout