Smoky Smurf's first grow #1

Wow $40 each. Putting those in jars would add up quick.

@beardless @Roudy420 Amazon has them for $24. I just have two and I switch them between jars every day when I burp them. This is an expensive hobby. I spent over 1k buying everything I needed to grow. One of my buddies reminded me I have already recouped roughly $800 with just my first grow if you figure $200/oz.

2 Likes

@beardless Do the buds swell up a bit during the curing process? It seems like my jars are getting fuller.

My RH is up to 60% in the two jars that are only half full. The other fuller jars are around 58%. My buddy I gave two stems to said his is up to 69%. His RH in the house is 73%. I wonder if the buds sucked up some moisture before he jarred them?

I told him to air out the buds a bit as 69 is a little too high.

I couldn’t really say. I have not noticed it at least. Sounds like you RH is zeroing perfectly. How are the jars smelling? Can you tell any difference between now and when you started curing. Just curious. People have mentioned a green smell at first which I guess I really never noticed.

@beardless When the weed was hanging up to dry it had a very faint hay smell. After 4 days in jars it has an intense weed smell, but no indication of girl scout cookies, whatever they are supposed to smell like. The intense weed smell almost has a lemon scent to it.

@beardless @Watt-Sun @Myfriendis410 Hey guys, need some advice. I gave my buddy two stems that equaled about 1/2 oz. He took it when it was still hanging to dry. His RH in the house that has no A/C is 73%. His RH in the jar is around 70 to 72. Opening the jar to let it breathe is just letting in more humid air. I suggested he take out the buds and lay them on a piece of cardboard maybe even with a fan blowing lightly across them for about an hour each day. Is this good advice? The primary goal here is to keep mold away since there is no way to change the environment.

After reading up more on curing today it looks like the ideal way to cure is for the humidity to initially be around 70% and gradually bring it down to 62 or so. With mine it has been backwards. I started at RH of 48 to 50 and am now hitting 58 to 60%. Is my bud even going through the curing process?

After switching my hygrometers between jars during the burp today I am seeing that the jars that are only half full are reading 60 and my full jars read 58. I assume this is because the Boveda packs are more effective when there is less bud in the jar to rehydrate?

I have more mason jars. Would it be a good idea to divide up my 3 full jars into 6 half full jars? Any reason not to? Thanks guys.

I’d suggest storing the buds in a paper bag to finish drying those gifted stems. My last harvest my temp gauge sh*t the bed and turned the heater on full blast. It speed dried my entire harvest . I let them sit out a bit longer and they somewhat rehydrated . It was still a great smoke so I think you’re on the right track to a solid cure. If you have the extra jars i would split them up and give them all a boveda. :v:

1 Like

@Watt-Sun Thank you Watt-Sun. Just to clarify, the stems I gave my buddy had already been hanging for 7 days so he has had them jarred for the past 2-3 days. Should he still take them out and put them in paper bags or leave them jarred?

I would pull the them out of the jars and put them right in the paper bag . The bag will help pull some of the moisture from the buds switch out with a new bag a few days if he’s brave enough throw Just the empty bags in the oven on warm and it will dry the bag out so it’s ready to be used again

2 Likes

What he said haha! :point_up:

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I learned that from one of your responses to a question when I first joined ( the paper bag part ) :rofl:

1 Like

I think you may be over thinking this. In two months if you can tell the difference one from the other your pallet is more refined than mine. If they are getting crushed or compacted in the full jars, that is a legit reason to take some out.

@beardless Good point. The full jars are about 3/4 to 7/8 full. I can shake the jar lightly and all the buds can move around. I was just trying to figure out if it would help to separate them into more jars to get the RH higher.

1 Like

@beardless What do you store the scissor hash in? I had to dump it out of my bowl. I’ve been smoking off it for 3 days and it won’t burn up. LOL. I wanted to try some of the bud as the hash has been mucking me up. RH 59% to 62% between the different jars.

A small jar. I will roll in the palm of my hand. It gets dark and turns into little BBs.
RH is dialed in.

1 Like

Well done! Pictures are amazing

1 Like

@beardless @Watt-Sun I have been curing for a week now. RH ranges from jar to jar at 59 to 62%. When burping I have only been leaving the jars open for about 2 to 3 minutes. There are some posts on here that say you should burp for 15 to 20 minutes.

Since my RH is on the low side should I continue burping just long enough to exchange the air or go longer?

I plan on burping daily for two weeks and then going to once every 4 to 5 days and eventually once every two weeks. Is this a good plan?

Plan A OK. Maybe every other day as you move further into the 2nd week. Guide of gauge it by the smell. The amount of chlorophyll is decreasing so it not off putting as much gas.
Those longer burps are done to reduce RH. Less to release gas.

2 Likes

@beardless @Royc @Roudy420 @Myfriendis410 @MrPeat @Watt-Sun I’ve seen other grow journals where people ask for pics of buds after harvest. These are two of my biggest buds. I think the one on the left is the top of my main cola. Jar pic is 4.2 oz. Already gave half an oz to a buddy so total harvest 4.7. Jars are smelling good. @Royc did your GSC smell mostly like lemon?

5 Likes

No it Smells like fruit loop cereal,