SmoknGranny’s Sneaky Gardens

Sound plan @dbrn32 that’s what I do. Trying something new is always a learning experience Granny. I always amend my soil with the lime, and then slowly work it down with regular feedings. Someone who knows more about super soil will have to help there. I’d love to learn more about it for sure. Till then…

1 Like

You know, I could be a complete idiot too lol. But that method keeps the use of any ph adjusters to a minimum for me. Nutes work as low ph buffer and the lime works as high buffer in perfect world. If I see root zone trending low I top dress with lime. Then usually after I do that I bubble nutes less to keep ph a little lower.

2 Likes

If you’re an idiot then so am I for doing the same thing. Live and learn has caused us both to come to the same conclusion. It wonderful to here that someone else does this as well. :+1:t3:

4 Likes

Keep in mind that this year has primarily been for me to experiment and find out what and how to grow with my situation and within my budget. I knew that I would make mistakes but now I’m learning how to correct them. Hopefully, I’ll do better next grow season :crossed_fingers:and that I haven’t totally destroyed a once beautiful plant.

2 Likes

That says a lot @SmoknGranny some people kill them before they have a chance.

5 Likes

You bet! I think you’re doing great, I was just thinking of corrective measure should you need one. Hopefully it’s not an issue.

2 Likes

Besides the ingredients you have left; now you have the lime for next year mix. Think that you will have to age your mix next round.

3 Likes

I thank you for bringing this up. I am using the “zero-filters” which pretty much remove everything. Is there a way to check the water other than pH, ppm, and EC to see if it is missing these things? I ask because I bought some ferrous sulfate to naturally stain wood, but it is basically iron (the rusting with vinegar is what stains the wood).

Would that be a good additive?

1 Like

Most of the elements that are removed from filtration can be found in trace amounts in your fertilizer. Her ph lockout is the cause and not the filter.

I’m not sure if you could use that. Ferrous Oxcide is just rust, but not sure about the ferrous sulfate. Isn’t that salty rust?

Iron deficiency is rare and can be found at the top/new growth. It doesn’t travel down the plant. Do you have that happening to you?

2 Likes

If you’re worried about a possible iron deficiency coming from using that filter, just shove 2-3 nails down into your soil @Whodat66

1 Like

Actually, I wasn’t worried about it until @SmoknGranny warned me LOL So far, I have found that with every “perfect” thing there are drawbacks. My starting water before any adjustments is right about 6.7pH and 000ppm. I think this is AWESOME, because you really only have to adjust for anything you add. But right now, with a seedling, I am adding nothing that might contain what was taken out, and with the super-soil-mix I won’t add anything until flower - which could (by then) present a problem. That’s all.

2 Likes

I “think” my filtered water plus using it from the barrel was a contributing factor to this whole scenario. Reading back through my hand written notes and this journal is my basis for this assumption. I used granular lime in the soil mix as directed but using powdered sweet lime now in the limeade.
With all the help here and privately, I am going to stay in a positive frame of mind that my plants will somehow survive. :blush:

9 Likes

Hey there @SmoknGranny Just caught up on the sneaky garden…holy smokin granny plants! They look great. Sorry about your trouble with Sassy. There is always that one that wants to keep you on your toes. Sorry to hear about the loss of Mellow. It’s always so hard, even knowing they had a good life. Love the kitty pictures though. You really have your hands full.

3 Likes

Thanks for stopping by @AnneBonny :hugs:
Yep. It’s been a bit of a struggle with Sassy but I’m learning :+1:
And thanks about Mellow. Buster scared me as he went down for a few days afterwards but thankfully turned around.
Oh. 9 kittens total from two moms. Tried to get a pic of the 4 youngest. Guess which one is “Smoke Puff Puff Pass”

10 Likes

Okay. Before my phone rings or little dogs want out or hubby needs something, etc., I try to do a quick update :grin:
Sassy is slowly getting better with her limeade and molasses teas. She’s still not as pretty as before but at least I haven’t killed her yet :blush:

Sassy’s clone is still growing, just not as full as I would like. But again, I haven’t killed her either :grin:

Little Toree, same.

Afghan auto is smelling divine and starting to shed her leaves and getting frosty

As is the B.B. auto

All in all, I feel pretty good about my girls at this point and I’m learning so darn much this year.
Next up is preparing a good drying situation for the two autos in the basement. Temps & humidity down there should work out fine BUT I can’t run a fan due to electrical problems so I’ll have to keep a close eye out during the drying period. Or I may try rigging up something else in my bathroom. I’m still thinking :thinking: but I can’t wait too long :grin:
Thanks for stopping by and as always, please feel free to comment or ask questions :hugs:

@Laurap @Screwauger @Mrcrabs @Momtomask @FloridaSon @rodri59 @Rick3 @AnneBonny @Budbrother @VoodooKing and everyone else. Darn it’s work to tag everyone :sweat_smile:

20 Likes

Looking good young lady! I agree, sassy appears to be falling back in line.

Happy anniversary too!

1 Like

Thanks. Hard to believe it is a year here.
Ran down to take a pic of the B.B.

And check on the 4 youngns

12 Likes

Getting frosty! I see the kitties are doing well too :blush:

1 Like

Yep. I’m depending on you all with better eyesight to tell me when to bring out my axe :rofl:

1 Like

Looking really good :+1::+1::+1::+1:

1 Like