SmoknGranny’s Sneaky Gardens

H2O2 is always good to have on hand. Can be mixed with water and used as a spray or as a soil drench to kill any nasties in the soil.
Edit: you just made a super soil so I’m not sure I would do a soil drench with it. Not sure if it harms the good microbes or not.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’m looking forward to getting some plants in there now :blush: I guess I better get my butt in gear and drop some seeds! Sure don’t want Sassy to be an only child.

1 Like

Just the plastic with some Neem. I’m allergic to bees, not deathly, but I swell up really bad, so I don’t want them where I spend a lot of time. I don’t want spiders because I hate getting their webs in my face lol. I do wash all my outdoor plants when I harvest too.

3 Likes

I’m allergic too but I still hate killing them. Insect venom is NOT my friend. Funny thing is that I never had a problem until I moved to Missouri from Florida.
FYI, a ground mustard poultice does help if you get stung :+1:
I’m not sure which I hate worse, spiders :spider: or ticks :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
I have lots of h2o2 from using it to clean deer antlers. I’m sure I’ll be using it over the summer grow.

3 Likes

My hate vote goes to ticks :joy: no doubt I run into a spider web every trip to the woods, never fails. But never pulling spiders off me, just the webs. This year hopefully won’t be as bad for ticks but last year I was like the official tick transporter.
Bees I don’t mind. I have some beehives. Here’s one of my hives this evening. It’s like their own traffic jam.

I wish that too at this point, I could totally go for a bowl right now lol. No response from my normal connection so no end in sight. No worries. It will work out.

10 Likes

DE is also good for you. I have a couple glasses every month. helps flush toxins out of you :grin:

2 Likes

I’ve already come across 3 ticks :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: but at least they hadn’t attached.
When I used to do photography my favorite subjects were insects and dead or dying trees. Growing up in Florida & spending summers as a kid in Kentucky I was always getting stung. No problem. I moved to the Midwest and got stung by a hornet and something else (squished it) & both times I swelled up and itched like crazy. Thank goodness for Benadryl :blush:
I appreciate :honeybee: as they ARE our friends and important. They just have to stay in their place and not in my place :joy:

3 Likes

Mine are pretty calm. They are Italian bees, pretty docile and I’ve only been stung one time and it wasn’t when checking up on the bees. I was on a riding lawn mower. I bumped one of the boxes (got too close with the mower) and a lone bee came right for me and stung my right cheek, just below the sun glasses I was wearing.
If you get stung, you better rub the crap out of it to get their scent off of you because when they sting they release a hormone of sorts that other bees in the hive get a wiff of and you got about every bee after you ready to sting you lol.
They will attack if they’re feeling threatened. (hint don’t walk directly up to the hive entrance, big no no) other than that one time I’ve had no issues. Most of the time I don’t even wear my bee suit.

2 Likes

My grandpa had hives and I used to help him. Never got stung and I chewed on combs with bits and pieces of bees with no problem. I have lots of clover on the south side of the house and it’s the only place I hate mowing. So far no problem.

I seem to remember reading about the releases of hormones with bees. I’m glad you brought that back to mind. Thank you.
My neighbor got stung in the neck a couple of years ago and I had to take her to the ER. That’s when I learned about using a ground mustard poultice and the ER doctor confirmed it. Lots of good old fashioned medicine works :grin:

4 Likes

Funny story, Wolfie’s first encounter with the bee’s, he went right up to the hive entrance (meanwhile I was yelling at him to get back here) and it took about 3 seconds and he was running. lol It was like watching a cartoon lol I probably saw 20 bees zipping around him. He was crawling in the grass at first than booked it to the pond and jumped right in lol. He hasn’t messed with them since lol.

3 Likes

Granny, I add it in the hole first place plant in cover with soil and soke her again and that’s it.
Granny your going to have some awesome plants there sweetheart. I hope your ready…lol

3 Likes

Greenhouse looking good @SmoknGranny

1 Like

I saw the video of Wolfie and the bees in my mind :joy: Poor little guy. Sometimes pups have to learn things the hard way, but I bet he leaves the hives alone now :grin:

4 Likes

Hey! I resemble that remark!

What? You don’t want a spoiled little :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: in your crop??

f3fb9c312b9c50592ab0e0f24712b54a3214d464_1_440x500

LMAO

5 Likes

Thanks for the info. I probably would have just planted and then watered. As soon as I can move more comfortably, I’ll get Sassy planted and in the Sneaky Garden today.
I sure hope that she survives the elements, bugs, & my learning curve :grin: As long as you and others keep holding my hands I’m going to try my best! :hugs:

I would love to have a couple hives, but my wife is highly allergic to them.

2 Likes

Those bees can fly something like 2.5 to 3 miles to forage from their hive. If you had a remote hideaway you could put them out somewhere away from your wife, you’d probably be good to go. I tell you what, after having local honey man my allergies basically go away for a while. Too soon to get honey at the moment but I could use some. My eyes burn, nose running currently lol.

2 Likes

Thanks. For the money it should work but if I get another one it won’t have shelves and will have vents.

2 Likes

Well if you were growing in my garden … I’d definitely spoil you :hugs:

1 Like

I miss orange blossom honey :honey_pot: I may have to see if Mixon Fruit Farms is still online & order me some. However, I have two local sources here for yummy fresh honey. I’m with @DoomSack that if you have an area available away from the house and your wife then go for it. But like any hobby it can be expensive. If you have a local USDA office they should have information for you to check out.

2 Likes