Smart pot cooker for cannabutter

Has anyone tried it. My thinking is it’s a pressurized cooker so it might work. Thinking of getting one and this would definitely be a plus to push me into getting it. For the wife of course :grin:

1 Like

It works amazingly well!

A link to my method.

4 Likes

I just get a lb of butter melting and add water to it, throw an ounce or better in, let it cook for a couple hours and strain. Works great

2 Likes

A pressure cooker decarbs while extracting. It also keeps in the smell. There’s no need to mix h20 into your carrier liquid.

An instant pot makes the whole process much easier. I absolutely recommend it.

5 Likes

I’ve been considering doing the same with my instant pot, but my cheap portable induction cooktop has a precise temperature setting. Once my pot of oil stabilizes, I can nail 240F as long as I want. I’ve found that decarbing in the oil (as you’re doing) actually makes a more potent oil compared to my toaster oven decarb method.

Another thing you can do with the Instant pot is make a hot water bath using the slow cooker setting, then sit a jar with vegetable glycerin and your decarbed bud into the hot water bath. In my two experiments, I went 24 hours and 36 hours (you have to reset the Instant Pot because the timer hits a max), and they both turned out similarly. They make for a really nice and easy to palate sublingual tincture.

1 Like

Agree!!! I love my Instant Pot. I bought a stainless steel airtight container large enough to hold 30-45 grams bud to use for decarbing. 40 minutes on high pressure; no muss, no fuss & doesn’t smell up the house. Once decarbed, I pour melted butter into the container. I seal everything up and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Let de-pressure naturally. Strain and enjoy. So much quicker than the ‘old fashioned days’ of simmering on the stove for hours & hours. LOL

I would like to offer a word of caution. I have noted many who use glass mason jars for both decarbing and infusing the butter in an IP. Don’t, it’s not worth the risk. There is no guarantee that the mason jar you are using might not explode. I can’t afford to lose any of my good bud. There are lots out there but the best thing you can buy yourself is a stainless steel airtight container.

1 Like

Great word of caution for those new to canning or pressure cooking!

Since I can foods using Mason jars and a pressure cookee, I feel very comfortable using this method. Mason jars and pressure canning are old school and very well-known practices. :grinning:

I can’t imagine using anything else but my Instant Pot for budder/oils, ever again. So happy to know others use it, too.

2 Likes

Does the color look ok on my first batch of instant pot canna coconut oil @blackthumbbetty

Looks good! For me, I like it olive green, but I put an oz of bud per ½ cup ghee/oil. :grinning:

I used 1 oz to 14 oz oil first timer I don’t want to trip out. I’ve never had an edible I figured I could eat another one but not uneat one. Better safe than sorry I’m old but I wanna try it :sunglasses::blush::sunglasses:

2 Likes

My first canna chocolates they taste pretty good

2 Likes

So, pothead math would put roughly 2800mg of THC total in your oil. Divide that by the number of candies you made to get a rough dosage estimate.

How many of those beauties did you make?

18 butterflies and 18 gems. I’m going to try them before I smoke anything tomorrow because well i already blew that for today :blush:

2 Likes

I didn’t use all the oil I made in this batch I went pretty light actually. I’ll adjust each batch up till I find sweet spot.

1 Like

Here’s a way of roughly estimating the strength of your edibles.

2 Likes