Roughly 8 by 8, 6.5 ft ceiling. Concrete room, (storm shelter) Lights are in plain reflectors. Power was installed when the shelter was put in.
During Veg I used 3 100 W equivalent CFL (6500 K) plus two 24 inch Regular Flourescents (also 6500 K)
For flowering I’m switching to 4 100 W CFL (2700 K) plus two 24 inch Regular Flourescents with no reflectors, just a plastic fixture. (also 2700 K)
Using timer for 12/12 daily.
Plants are inside a metal shelf rack without shelves. (used shelf for first few weeks to bring plants and lights closer together.) Outside of the shelf rack has reflective plastic silver colored ceiling tiles. Hand carry water when needed.
Ventilation is a single six inch fan pointing out a vent hole. Top center of shelter has covered hole for incoming air.
Not a perfect setup, and first try at a grow.
Plants were two inches high when put into this room, after four weeks they’re a little over 12 inches high.
Started out with more plants but I messed up the PH when I used a meter that was off quite a bit and I added way too much acid to the water. Survivors were watered by plain tap water. (new meter says the soil is around 6.5 now)
Mistakes I know I made so far…
- Some of the plants were in plain dirt that turned to mud when watered. Good plants were put into a mix of compost and peat.
- Aforementioned PH fiasco.
- Added plant food on top of medium and it became moldy overnight. Didn’t seem to harm the plants, but freaked me out.
- Lights were too far away early on.
- Kept lights on 24/7 during veg. (not positive it was a mistake, but I’ve read root growth needs darkness since then.)
- Used cheap plastic inserts for pots. If this grow does halfway decent, will clone and use better pots.
- Shelter leaked when it rained. Nothing touched the plants, but the humidity was through the roof for two weeks. I’ve since fixed the leaks.
- Left the door open to help evaporate the rainwater. It allowed evaporation, but also allowed critters to move in.
- Told my wife who has killed my plants before by overwatering. (just kidding sweetheart.)
- Used seeds I got out of various bags over the last 3 years. Some didn’t germinate, some did. (paper towel all the way.)
Open to suggestions, you can even beat me up if you want. But my mouth waters every time I inspect the leaves.
Questions I have.
- Heat in the winter. It doesn’t freeze outside every day but it can get below zero. I don’t know if the temp in the room will drop that low, but I’m sure it will if the lights are off and the fan is on. Can I turn the fan off during darkness? Open to suggestions for heating the room but I don’t want any light from the heater.
- In August the temperature got up to 95 degrees F. How much damage does that do to the plants?
I’ll add a picture tomorrow.