Small flys in soil

Have noticed small flys walking in my pot soil and buzzing around.
Tried liquid soap mixed with cider vinager, helped a bit but not enough.
Any suggestions.

They are most likely fungal gnats. It’s usually because over watering. You can use a few things
-BTI
-Diatomaceus earth
-let soil dry before watering again
-peroxide and water 1/4 ratio perox to h2o
-yellow sticky cards
There are a few different things but those are the main ones.

5 Likes

You can see the gnats flying around @noauto thats where the yellow sticky pads come in, they just help to show you that they are around and helps control them as they stick to the yellow cards.
Dont use H202 to much as it damages root structures and microbes
If you want to get rid of them before they alter your yeild or kill your plant you use Bti Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis, combined with yellow sticky boards. I have used every other method!!! this is the only one that totally gets rid of them and breaks the cycle. And is totally safe.

4 Likes

A layer of Perlite on the top of the soil helps prevent critters in the soil… :ant:

Spot on. The best way to get rid of fungus gnats.

One can buy mosquito bits, since they contain BTi, but there’s very little in them for the price you pay.
There’s a vendor on eBay selling better BTi. It’s like $15 for 2oz. Plenty for one or two outbreaks. Well worth it. I keep some on hand just in case.

5 Likes

Excellent thank you for the great info.

1 Like

Started using yellow sticky trap and BTi as recommend by some of the reads, which was great advise, but one can not get enough info so will check this method out. anything to get rid of gnats.

1 Like

You can also topdress with the product below,

2 Likes

Nice! Tagging for future reference :+1:t2:

i got Summit mosquito bits, waiting to see if it helps, the sticky work the bomb.
Appreciate the info.

You got that right, i have taken the info from others like your self and have implement them
Thank you.