Slow growing seedlings

Hello everyone,
I’m new to this forum and also on my first grow… I have 3 seedlings in a grow box that are 21 days old from seed and seem very small judging by some of the grow journals I’ve been reading… I’m growing it in a mixture of 50% organic soil 25% worm casting and 25% vermiculite… I’m using a 300w led UFO panel on a 18/6 cycle, the panel is about 18-20 inches away. Temperatures have been at about 84f with the lights on and 80f with the light off, not sure what the humidity is(I ordered a thermometer with a humidity meter but haven’t received it yet… using an analogue thermometer and not sure how accurate it is.) I been feeding rain water with a ph of 6 every 2 days or whenever the soil feels dry… I would appreciate any help on what the problem might be?

1 Like

Welcome to ilgm we are happy to have you here :slight_smile:

Your temperatures are about 10 degrees to hot for day time and about 12 degrees to hot for night time. If you dont have ventilation add some this will help with temps also they may be above to start taking a light feeding if 1-1-1 at this age as for humidity lets hope that shows up, that is an extremely part if growing. It is what is involved in evaporation pressure and if that is constantly fluctuating that will lead to health problems. In your medium ph should be 5.8

4 Likes

@MasterSplinter

Yes welcome to our world of growing here at ILGM

oK @Majiktoker Told you one good point on heat.

Now see the pic of you seedlings where the tips are burnt.
that is from the worm casting you used. There not bad you’ll have to keep an eye on them and don’t feed them any nutrient yet. Only when they get their 5 true sets of leaves. From what i see they have 3 so far. But you may make it to there 5th set. then you can add worm casting to there new home I’ll tell you more on that later.

Will

2 Likes

Hey @Majiktoker thanks for the quick response…
I thought that it might have something to do with the temperature… I do have a ventilation system. I got four 120mm pc fans(two for intake and two for outtake) and two 80mm pc fans circulating air inside the box… I’ve read somewhere that seedlings like hotter temperatures and don’t really like much air blowing on them, so I been keeping the fans off for the majority of the time… the termomether that I have at the moment doesn’t seem very accurate, so I’m not sure if my temperatures are correct. But with the fans on doesn’t feel hot at all inside the box. Which is why I been keeping the fans off.

This is my set up… I would appreciate any input :slight_smile:

1 Like

@garrigan62 the tip of the leaves aren’t actually burnt, they just started to curl up and the dark spot you seen on the tip of the leaf is actually a shadow from the curl. Their dark cycle is over in about 20 minutes… I’ll try to get a better picture for you.
Do you think they seem small for being 21 days old or is that just me being paranoid? Lol

From what I can see your little plants have there 3rd sets of leaves and maybe a 4th set starting to poke out in the bottom one, a couple of them look like they are entering vegitative

1 Like

If leaves are curling down thats a sign of nitrogen toxicity you’ll want to give regular PhD water to correct that other than that they maybe going a little slow but @garrigan62 and I can help you get them on track and hauling butt

If I may @Majiktoker and @garrigan62 the 300W LED light should not be closer than 2 feet ( 24 inch ) and for seedling/sprouting, no more closer than 2.5 feet (30 inch )

Hope that’s helping @MasterSplinter✌

~Al :v: :innocent:

2 Likes

…that first picture looks like it has burnt tips like will garrigan said, also you pH is too low you need 6.5 and keep your fan on gently like magic mentioned will help too, good luck

1 Like

@Niala yes you may please if you see some thing we missed please add it

2 Likes

@Majiktoker i will work on getting ph up 6.5 and hopefully I’ll get my thermometer soon that way I can control the temperaturature… i got the fans back on and they do seem like it’s blowing too much wind on the plants, so tomorrow Im going to get a pc fan controller to adjust the fan speed.

@garrigan62 @Paranorman you guys are right… after taking a closer look the leaves are actually burned… here is a closer picture.

@Niala I’ll try to get the lights a little higher. I just measured again and they are 20 inches away.

1 Like

Good call @Niala

Thanks @Majiktoker for the vote of confidence and I don’t have any thing more to put for now and thanks @garrigan62 for the good word, coming from you two (Majik and Will), it’s mean greatly for me :innocent:

3 Likes

OK, now for the fun part. Your going to have to start thinking of an earily transplant

2 Likes

Ô just one little question, what is the brand of your organic soil @MasterSplinter ,information for the % of NPK and it’s composition may help too :grinning:

1 Like

And @Majiktoker just made me think about transplantation, good call Majik :+1::ok_hand::v:

That was me on transplanting and for the soil yes it does mater but he added worm castings and thats a big no no for seedlings. that’s way i’m suggesting a transplant for now so they can be ready for vegg and then retransplant them into their final grow pot.

Will

2 Likes

Sorry for the mistaken @garrigan62 ,I am beginning to see double, lol :sweat_smile: :wink: :innocent: I’m going to sleep now :sleepy::sleeping::sheep::sheep::sheep::sheep::sheep:

1 Like

That’s ok good night sleep well tomorrow then

Will

@MasterSplinter welcome to the number one cannabis growing fourm in the world I❤️GM !!! There is so much help on here it would make your Head spin lol Love the name if you ever need anything don’t hesitate to ask just @ before name and you’re good to go best of luck happy growing

4 Likes