Slow bud growth high soil ph

Hi people. Second attempt at growing this time organic soil and biobizz nutes. Things were going very well until about 5 days ago then as with my last grow some lower leaves started show deficiencies. I’ve read so many posts and seen so many opinions on organic soil like no need to ph, don’t water to run off, add this add that. I’ve just used bat special soil mixed with light mix added seaweed with watering and after 4 weeks Started bio buzz grow and Biosys Ecothrive for the old microbes. Now adding cal mag biobizz bloom and have sprayed with Epsom salts. The thing is she’s looking a bit shit and the soil ph is 7.4 which I’ve read you shouldn’t even test, but if you honk you have a deficiency what are you supposed to do. The buds site are many but it’s just pistols and they don’t seem to be fattening at all. I have never seen a grower with similar issues actually sort them out in the forums. It seems if you are unlucky enough to have deficiencies or growth issues no matter what you throw in it, it hardly ever has a positive outcome. Anyhow does anybody have any thoughts?

1 Like

How far along in flower are you? Have you tested for ppm? Seeing the ph is out of balance there could be a build up of nutes because the plsnt is having a hard time taking in nutrients.

I grow using a living soil. I always ph no matter what and water to runoff.

There’s a couple of things that you can do. First one is to adjust your water low like 6.0. See what the runoff readings say. Second is use dolomite lime or sweet lime. That will buffer the ph of the soil.

1 Like

Thanks for responding. It’s an auto week 7.ppm 1000 Apart from the yellowing there are also a couple new flower yellow in the center. See pic. Does this look like Iron deficiency and if so that would point towards high soil ph not letting plant absorb Iron and magnesium me thinks??

1 Like

It’s normal for the tops to yellow a bit. Indicates new growth. If the yellow starts to spread then you have bigger problems. Here’s a ph chart for soil.

https://images.app.goo.gl/efUpUPiRxdU7bp378

Magnesium is a common deficiency. Doesn’t necessarily indicate that the ph is off. It just indicates you need to add some epsome salt to the soil.

I’ve foliated with Epsom salts for a couple of days and also been adding biobizz cal mag to ph water. Do you think a decent soil tester is needed to avoid these issues though?

1 Like

I’ve never use a soil tester. I barely test my runoff because I ph the water and normally don’t see any deficiencies until mid to late flower. Reason for that I believe is from having a pot that is too small. I use 7 to 10 gallon pots and always have some sort of issue. I just ordered 20 gallon pots.

What does your watering routine look like? I water to runoff then tip the pot to the side to check for weight. Once the pot is light again it’s time to water. Over watering is very common.

1 Like

It’s in a 12ltr fabric pot. Since it got quite large it’s been taking about 2/3ltrs per day. I stick the old finger deep in the soil and make sure it’s dry. I always wondered when they say dry how they mean. If I put a moisture probe in it still shows moist about 3/4 of the way down. Is this still not dry enough? It hasn’t showed signs of overwatering.
Also going back to the buds, do you think they could be slow maturing because they’re not getting the nutrients ? Tricky questions I know.

Combination of both probably. I’d let the pot dry out really well. It should feel very light. You should be able to lift it and kind of be surprised at how light it is. Much dryer the plant will start to have droopy leaves.

1 Like

The yellowing doesn’t seem to be spreading and I’ve ordered a new pricier PH pen which I should have done ages ago. Thanks for you help.

1 Like