Slime on roots, advice needed

From a fellow grower: . So my roots seem to have a white/clear slime that won’t go away no matter what I do. I’ve rinsed the roots off, and soaked them in H2O2. Fully cleaned out the reservoir with both bleach and H2O2. I’ve completely blacked everything out with foil, and still seems to come back. I added Hydroguard today, and want to know if this will help fix the issue

What is the water temp? If everything is clean and no light getting in, I would say the next most likely culprit is water temp is too high. It should be between 58-68 ideally, above 80 and there will be issues.

I actually found out what was the cause of it. The water temps sat around 66 to 73 depending on how hot the day is (with 73 being the max when it was in the high 90s). As it turns out the culprit was the nutrients I was using, as they were organic and I was using tap water, the organic nutrients had sugar in them; which unfortunately did nothing but feed the bacteria in the tap water. The system was entirely light proof but still seemed to develop this spongy white slime on the bubble rock and on the roots, my guess is brown slime algae.

I switched to a synthetic nutrient and the problem completely disappeared, unfortunately I’m guessing the roots are damaged beyond repair; I’m doubtful the plant will recover. I’m only posting this update in hopes that anyone who suffers this same bane will learn from it. Idk why all these organic products include sugar when from research I’ve done does nothing for the plant itself.

2 Likes