Slight twist in leaves

Hello everyone, i have noticed a slight twist in the first true leaves of my seedling and i wonder why this happens… i have looked into it but it seems people have very contradictory opinions on it (too much water, not enough water, too many or not enough nutrients, too much or not enough wind, ect…) while others will say not to even worry about it. I think otherwise my plant looks healthy, let me know what you think and if you can spot anything that looks wrong :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Twisting leaves are most commonly caused by pH issues or excess nutrients.

Do you know the pH of the water you are putting in, what soil are you in, and have you been feeding nutrients?

It doesn’t look bad at all. Put me in the “Don’t worry about it” camp so long as the mentioned factors are under control.

4 Likes

@Gwiz.
Honestly your plant looks fine.
A little bit of twist like you have there will grow out as the leaf expands and gets to its full size.

Here’s a pic of my current grow at the start.
Note the humidity. Thinking this was the cause in my case.

You can see the twist and slight deformities in some of the leaves.

This is as of last nite.
:v::pray:

9 Likes

Lookin good there @Oldguy :eye: I agree leaves grow in some weird shapes and sizes, @Gwiz yours kinda look like they are turning in a way to get a better angle to the light

3 Likes

Wow @Oldguy that is a niiice picture of your plants ! And to answer the questions i use 6.5 pH soil and when i water i squeeze a few drops of lemon juice to lower it to around 6.5 as well.

2 Likes

Looks fine to me :v::bear:

4 Likes

I have a few leaves that look like that every time. I have started to notice that it is always the one closest to the fan. This time I’m trying to rotate the pots as to see if it fixes the issue.

2 Likes

Interesting, i aim the fan above the plant though so i dont think it could be direct air that causes it…

Mine is blowing across the top of the canopy. I will send pictures in a couple hours when the lights come on. Watch her make a liar out of me lol

Sometimes the light can be a bit too close/too hot for seedlings.

1 Like

In my case I really think it’s the fan because when I move the pots they begin to straighten out

1 Like

Two issues I see.

The leaves are likely a pH issue, probably a low pH. If you have no way to test, hop on Amazon and buy some ph testing strips, good ones. Learn to use those.

Second, that pot is waaaay to big for a seedling, start in a dark colored disposable cup for 2 weeks, then move it up to a 1 gallon pot after its 6-10 inches tall. After 2 or three weeks in a 1 gallon it’s ready for its forever home in a big pot.
It’s called a process called “transplanting” or “transfering”. I recommend reading up on that too. Good luck.

Hello, i test pH with good strips and I’m around 6.5 water wise, sometimes close to 6.75 but no higher. Also my soil is at 6.5. Also @Fergus my light is over a meter away so that shouldnt be an issue. I think @Tistik is righr about the fan, from what ive heard qnd seen though its not a big problem and the plant seems not to be stressed about it…

1 Like

Also ive been growing in the big pot and so far ive seen no issues, she grows well each day, ive watered with a jar with holes in it evey day (twice a day before she germinated) and now ive started using my watering can giving her around 600ml a day. I know many growers would already have cursed me for watering too much or not using a sprayer or dome (or controlling humidity in any way) but ive seen that my soil dries quickly (it has coco fibers in it) and so far my plant has been loving life !

4 Likes

If you used a smaller cup it will save you as you will use less water and in my opinion it allows the roots to build up better for a heartier rest of the grow. It looks like you are doing good to me. My last time I didn’t rotate the pots and the one closest to the fan was well over 50% smaller and only produced 14 grams :cold_sweat:. So I’m trying things different this go around

2 Likes

Good to know ! I only have one pot but ill see what i can do this this fan