Skippy's first grow, Banana Kush, WonderDawg, White Tahoe Cookies, Black Jack in coco with Jacks321

Hello @skippyisnohippy . I am following about eight threads (other than this one) and I get most of them confused. Planning my next grow as my first finishes. Switching to coco (Canna bricks), and I see you are growing in it now.
Do you have a recommended site for me to study up? I looked at this:
https://www.cocoforcannabis.com/how-to-prepare-and-buffer-coco-coir/,
but he is talking about crap coco.
Canna Coco is buffered(I think that is correct), so no need to worry about the CaMg hydration? You hydrate with full strength Jack’s?
All help is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

@jd77 I have been using the canna coco bricks ordered from Amazonia, reminds me I need to order a couple more. I followed along with @Hellraiser grows Zkittlez and Banana Kush diary here at ilgm. I did no washing or buffering, whatever that is, at all. For 1/2 brick I mix 1 gallon of full strength Jacks and pour it in the bag they come in and fold the top down as well as possible, and if I have the time, let it sit for a day or overnight to let the moisture work into all of it. Now if you are using Jacks, the Calcium is in the part B which is calcium nitrate, 15-0-0 if I remember correctly. The Magnesium is in the Epsom salts which is Magnesium Sulfate, so if you use Jacks there is no need to add more calmag. I can honestly say that everything I know about coco or Jacks I learned from reading hellraisers journals, Afgvet retirement journal, and Imsickkids journals. Hellraisers is more like a teaching journal, and he is clearly aware people like you and me are trying to learn from it. He posts pictures of what things look like at certain numbered days through the grow. He has included how high his lights are hanging above the plants as well as how high they are turned up. Even putting things like how high the vent fans are turned up. I swear I kept reading people talking about coco and it took me a long time to understand why you would want to grow in that. Someone smarter than me may correct me on this, but doing coco and Jacks is basically running a hydroponics system, just using me and a bucket to deliver the water with the nutrients in it instead of some tubing and a pump. When my seeds sprouted I gave them 1 oz a day for about a week, then upped it to 4 oz or so. I don’t even know if that was a good idea, but it has worked so far. There are a bunch of others on here using coco now, all of those people I mentioned have forgotten more than I have learned yet about growing weed. Hit me up if I can help, if I can’t someone can be found here to answer questions.

2 Likes

Thank you.
I am using FF until it runs out then I will switch, therefore it looks like I will need to hydrate with CaMg.
I have been reading Hellraiser. Fantastic stuff, but I am only up to post 2000 or so and I am a slow reader, and I do not like to start watching after the show has already started, but that appears to be the prudent path in this case. I will search his thread for coco and try to drill down to what I currently am looking into.

2 Likes

Did a search of the Hellraiser grows Gorilla Glue and other stuff, which is the thread I was referring to earlier, and did not find much about coco. He mostly uses one of the FF soils, l believe.
So, reread your first reply more closely, and I see you were referring to a different thread:
Hellraiser grows Zkittlez and Banana Kush in coco with Jacks 321
A much smaller thread. I will get started studying that one. Thank you.
Like I mentioned earlier, I am getting the various journals crossed up sometimes. Who is doing what is hard to sort in my brain sometimes.

2 Likes

That’s the one. If you start that Skittlez journal he goes through his method for coco. In a way I am lucky in that I waited before deciding what to grow in. It finally dawned on me that these folks that have been growing in soil for years switching to coco maybe I should just learn the coco method right from the get go. It seems both of us are doing pretty ok for a couple of newbies.

2 Likes

I am an old guy, and ever since I was a youngster, I was very good at growing things. Outside. My vegetable and flower gardens generally were very nice and admired by others.
Growing this way is new to me, but I think my past experience kept me out of the ditch, particularly since I treated her like a pepper seedling and did not pay her much attention until all our flowers and vegetables were transplanted outside in June. Then, in July posting in this forum and getting excellent help to get her into flower and almost to the finish line.
I really dig this!
Thanks to all.

2 Likes

Thursday, September 16. Yesterday and today I mixed 4 gallons of Jacks at a rate of 3.6/2.0/1.2 and with the silica added first my PH was 5.82 and EC of 2.19. Fed same quantities as before to each plant and still getting about 20-25% run off. Last night I repotted my 2 seedlings into the square 1 gallon pots.

I got a package of grove bags delivered to me today, and picked up some half gallon jars a few weeks back. Still need to get some hygrometers and a moisture meter.

Friday, September 17. Day 48 of flower, tomorrow is 7 weeks of flower. At lights on I opened tent and removed the drain pans and gave them a thorough washing and rinse. After replacing the drain pans I watered each of the Banana Kush with 1 gallon of water, PHed to 5.77 with the EC at .229, or about 115 ppm if I am doing math correctly. The Black Jack got just a bit more, around 150 oz out of the same bucket as the others. I let them drain until I didn’t see any more dripping and measured the content of the run off. BK 1 had about 33% run off and the PH was 6.15 with the EC at 2.35 or 1175 ppm. BK 2 had about 20% run off and PH was 6.11 with the EC at 3.59 or 1795 ppm. BK 3 had about 33% run off and PH was 6.21 with the EC at 2.73 or 1365 ppm. BK 4 had about 25% run off and PH was 6.36 with the EC at 2.06 or 1030 ppm. Black Jack had about 25% run off and the PH was 6.16 with the EC at 2.78 or 1390 ppm.

Now all those numbers don’t seem to say anything whacky to me, 1800 was the highest ppm and only one plant was that high and it is the one doing the best of them all. The highest PH was 6.36 and again only on one plant, #4 the smallest with the shiny leaves. I have been following @Hellraiser journals and had done a water only day last week and just was reading his thoughts on the water only for 2 weeks at the end of his clones run and can see the reasoning to stretch that out to 3 weeks maybe if the plants are good with it. At 7 weeks in tomorrow, I think I will give the BK 2 with the higher ppm another water only day while feeding the rest Jacks at 3.6/2/1.2 and continue feeding them all at that rate for another week at least. My photography skills haven’t improved any.

Those pics are all from BK 2, the next are Black Jack.

If anyone sees something I am screwing up, by all means point it out-please. I am still kind of stunned I have weed growing in my bedroom.

1 Like

Looking good, nice growing!

1 Like

Sunday, September 19. Day 50 of flower, beginning of week 8 in flower.

Mixed 4 gallons of Jacks at 3/2/1.2 both yesterday and today and split among the 5 by the amount of runoff from each day. Thinking of just going to 1 gallon a day for each one for the rest of this grow. This is from an angle with 2 sides of the tent open.
The pictures of the whole tent tell me it would be easier if they were all clones of the same plant. So of course I have 3 clones and 2 different seedling started already. The small plants are getting Jacks at 3.6/2.4/1.2. I got a 2x4 tent and am trying to figure out where to set it up. I will probably order another ac infinity exhaust fan and filter, along with a moisture meter and some hygrometers. An attempt to photograph a flower up close.
And another one.
I am guessing these are about 3 weeks from the chop. I think this is 14 weeks since planting seeds.

1 Like

Your close-ups, particularly the first one, are fabulous. What is the cultivar of that one?
I think the plants are fascinating to look at it up close.

1 Like

Both of those are the same plant, ILGM Banana Kush. I had 2 of the lights turned off, I am trying to figure out how to get pictures that will show the trichomes. There is still a lot of light reflecting or refracting through them.

1 Like

I tried this with some success:
My wife showed me to cover your flashwith a tissue or paper towel. I tried that on my last batch of pictures and they were much better than before.
Yeah, that first picture, you could consider that one for a frame, IMO.

Tuesday, September 21. Day 52 of flower, 14 weeks since breaking ground. Been feeding Jacks at 3/2/1.2 daily, 4 gallons daily with about 20% run off. This is with the lights turned down some.

Still thinking it is about 3 weeks left, these flowers are on the 2 big girls but not up at the highest flowers levels.

And the Black Jack.
Tiny flowers that are very sticky and stinky, they have gotten a little larger. I am hoping the weather is changing for the cooler and less humid time of year as I have been trying to keep RH in the tent below 50% but even after turning the ac infinity up to 6 it is still creeping above that level. Still it seems to be going ok so far. One last pic.
Tick tock.

2 Likes

You must be very proud of your ladies. They are quite lovely.

1 Like

Friday, September 24. Day 55 of flower. Mixed and fed 4 gallons of Jacks at 3/2/1.2 with PH of 5.8 and about 20% run off. Banana Kush 1&2.

Black Jack.
Last night I cut one small flower off each plant to start drying.

Tomorrow will be 8 weeks in flower and I have turned the BP 2500 light in the middle of the tent down to 150 watts giving 660 watts total over the tent. I am debating with myself over going to water only after tomorrow, hoping there is about 2 weeks left, not sure they are as far along as I want. I also mixed 1 gallon of Jacks full strength for the seedlings and clones. I am having trouble getting RH down in the flower tent, it’s about 55% during lights out, 48% lights on.