Skippy's first grow, Banana Kush, WonderDawg, White Tahoe Cookies, Black Jack in coco with Jacks321

Hi @skippyisnohippy. Just started following. I am in the middle of my first grow also. Lots to learn, eh?
Your plants look very nice.
You are running the lights 6 on 2 off? Haven’t seen that yet. Interesting.

1 Like

So July 10, Saturday. Mixed up 2 gallons of Jacks, PH’ed it to 5.8 and got a reading of 1640 us/cm which I think is 1.6 on the EC reading. Strange because it is usually right around 2.06 EC. I had run the water for a while cleaning planting pots in the tub and then took a shower before drawing water for Jacks from the same source. I do not know if that could have anything to do with it. Poured the 2 gallons in the bag with a brick of coco to hydrate it. I then did a 2 point calibration per instructions with my Apera EC-20. I then weighed a nickel on my digital scale and it was 5.06 grams. I mixed another 2 gallons and got almost identical readings. So I took BK #3 and transplanted it from the 1 gallon pot to a 2 gallon pot. This was slightly difficult with the plant, but now I have an empty pot to fill the others and preform the 2 gallons of coco.

The last photo is after feeding to runoff for everybody, up to 2 gallons today. I raised the oscillating fan a little so it is blowing down on them a little. A couple of lower leaves have a burnt tip or a small yellow spot and I think it’s just running them a little hard and probably my hands being wet or sweaty and touching them or just sweat dripping on them. Nothing too concerning other than the tent shrinking rapidly. I imagine these things will want to be transplanted up again very soon from the look of that root ball.

7 Likes

@jd77 Yes I really know little about this, but following directions laid out by many on this forum. I read about the 6/2 light schedule and it made sense to me, and since there wasn’t anyone to stop me from doing it, they have been on that light schedule since they were 4 days old, I think. I put it on that when the second set of true leaves was just barely popping out. Nothing but Jacks 321 in coco so far. I don’t know whether to get any silica or MKP for flower or just adjust the mix a little when the time comes. It is approaching rapidly.

1 Like

Yes, interesting on your light schedule. From what I understand the switch from vegetation to reproduction is triggered by 12 hours of darkness, so why not two hour nights?
I watched a video by Dr. Bugbee in which he explaied the significance of silica, which may be lacking in coco, not sure. At the time it inspired me to give my plant a shot of gypsum :thinking:

1 Like

July 11, Sunday I believe. I took the empty square 1 gallon container from yesterday’s work and used it to form a place for my plants in their 2 gallon containers.

That’s BK1 hanging out in a rolling rock bucket, and here is 1 from above.

I mixed up 3 gallons of Jacks, PH’ed to 5.8 and EC of 1.96. Fed each new transplant 60 oz of Jacks with runoff between 15% and 33%. The 2 BK’s already in 2 gallon pots each got 42 oz with plenty of runoff. Here is the new tent layout.

At the top of the pic and in the back of the tent are 2 BKs and in the middle row from left to right are the White Tahoe Cookies bag seed with the other 2 BKs. At the bottom of the pic and in the front of the class are the 2 most vigorous plants, Wonder Dawg and Black Jack. BJ was looking at me funny so I tied a pencil through his ears. The lights are now at an average of 24 inches above the plants and I turned up the 2 HLG 260xls one more notch so all 3 fixtures are about 120 watts each, or about half of potential wattage. At 10:00 pm temp inside reads 78 degrees at 53% RH. I would like to keep these in 2 gallon pots as long as possible, maybe through to the end. I am still trying to figure out whether to get any silica or MKP for switching to flower and how soon can I switch. They are 26 days old and Tuesday will be 4 weeks old.

5 Likes

Nice job on the pencil and the pot upgrade. Are you gonna keep them in those pots or are you gonna upgrade again

1 Like

Thanks, I don’t know actually. When I planted those seeds I figured I would end up with 4 or 5 plants and fill the tent with that. The Black Jack and the Wonder Dawg (both bag seed) are more vigorous than the others. Either they just want to be tall, or maybe they aren’t female. We will know soon enough. If I carry all 7 through to harvest, I might need to keep them restricted to the pots they are in. They will probably be ready for a transplant up in a week or so, at the rate they are growing. They can stay in those pots but that will mean me feeding twice a day for most of flower, I think.

Monday, July 12. First photo is of them all, before I feed this evening,

So I am getting ready to order some more coco and some 5 gallon grow bags and some scrog nets from amazon, figuring some of these will need to be transplanted up from the 2 gallon pots they are in. This is day 27 since groundbreaking and these have received nothing but Jacks 321 in water PHed to 5.8, medium is straight canna coco. So I am considering getting some silica and maybe MKP. There are bags of potassium silicate for sale there as well as bags of MKP, but I have no knowledge of amounts to use or the order to add them in with the Jacks. Not to mention if those are even the right things or if they are necessary or will add benefit. I was also wondering if any of the experts or mentors could tell anything about sexing from plant photos, maybe too early. First is the White Tahoe Cookies bag seed.

Next is Black Jack bag seed.

Finally the Wonder Dawg bag seed.

I am not as concerned about the other 4 as they are Banana Kush from ILGM and are feminized seed. So if any of the pro’s like @AfgVet @imSICKkid or @Hellraiser have opinions or thoughts on the subject, I appreciate everything you guys and gals do. I need to mix up some Jacks and feed these puppies.

4 Likes

I mislabeled one photo, the one with the coco on the branch is black jack. Wonder Dawg is here.

2 Likes

I use silica from day 1 as I don’t really train my plants much or need them to be bendy for LST or anything as I just top them and get them grow. I add silica to the water before anything else when mixing.

I’ve not used MKP but some Jacks users go with this in flowering

2g Jacks
2g Epson salts
2.7g Cal nitrate
1.2g Mkp

The first plant is looking like a boy, give the other plants more time to be sure as it’s not obvious quite yet.

4 Likes

Thanks for looking, it’s too bad-I enjoyed smoking that weed! Do you have a silica product to recommend?

3 Likes

Exactly what @Hellraiser said, except most use the MPK recipe for the first three weeks of flower

3 Likes

Armour Si from General Hydroponics is what I use.

2 Likes

I have used a bunch of silica products, I really like Rhino Skin from Advanced Nutrients as it does not raise the ph like most silica products do, also like Alchemist Stout MSA for the same reason but can be harder to find.

1 Like

Yep, forgot to include that.

2 Likes

What is MPK? I see it mentioned so it must be important, but I cannot figure out what you guys are talking about :no_mouth:

1 Like

Hi Bubba here, I’m a beginner at all this too. I’ve heard that you should not top indica autos, so I was wondering how yours did after topping them?

@jd77 it is mono potassium phosphate and is used to boost flower production (I believe). It has 0-52-34 as the numbers you see on the front of almost any fertilizer product. I think that means no nitrogen in there. Some people using the Jacks 321 use it in the first 3 weeks of flower using the ratio that hellraiser posted up above. I ordered some, along with some armor si last night after removing the male plant from my tent. Thanks @Hellraiser @AfgVet @imSICKkid for your help. jd77 if you haven’t read the grow journals posted by these 3 growers you should find the time to do so. Most of the questions I have about anything are already answered in those journals. I also can’t remember if it is MKP or MPK.

2 Likes

It’s MPK. Tried to pull up what I bought from Amazon but it would load right now and I’m short in time. Glad you were able to get some info from the journals

Tuesday July 13, 4 weeks since groundbreaking. I ordered some silica and MPK along with another hygrometer, more coco, and a net. Rearranged the tent, sprayed everybody with neem oil, and fed each of them 42 oz of Jack’s and got about 5% runoff. Here they are lined up neatly, as if I planned on it.

The 4 Banana Kush are in the rear and Wonder Dawg and Black Jack are still at the front of the class. Hard to believe I’m 4 weeks in and still have 4 plants left alive. I applied the neem oil as soon as the lights turned off for 2 hours and you can see some of the residue if you zoom in on the leaves. That stuff really stinks and I need to make a way of getting the plants in and out quickly for as long as they are of a size they can be moved. I went through some of my late father’s junk today and think I came up with something, just have to get it put together in the next week. Luckily my place is like an episode of Sanford and son.

6 Likes