Sketchy tactics for lights?

Evening everyone, I wanted to touch on something and get your guys and girls opinions on this matter.

So we all know about Blurples and how they deliberately lie about the wattage output of their lights. Well what I am going to mention isn’t the same but to me is still semi sketchy / confusing / meh I can’t think of the other word.

Let’s take Spiderfarmer for instance. They have let’s say model SF4000 anyone that knows the industry and not a beginner knows that is probably 400 watts. A beginner though sees 4000 and goes wow.
Mars Hydro same thing etc.

What other reason besides being somewhat tricky / misleading to newbies to not just put SF400 or XYZ250, why add the extra 0 unless they intentionally want to mislead people.

Some of the models like the 34 watt SF light says 300 and in the specs it says Power Draw 35±5%@AC120V-240V which you would think they would say Watts somewhere in there but they do not mention the wattage anywhere except in the title which yes should be noticed SHOULD be.

It just seems like there is a slight bit of trickery but hey maybe it’s all innocent but it just makes no sense to do what they are doing otherwise.

Just a thought I figured I would throw out here and see what others think and spark a discussion.

2 Likes

Always trickery in sales. Hence the saying, buyer beware :metal:

4 Likes

Could they just be trying to compare a LED to a equivalent Metal Halide or High Pressure Sodium?
Like 120w LED is equal to a 1000w MH?
Basically marketing for comparison. And a little embellishment is in order.

2 Likes

I remember someone saying something to the sort of…
It’s actually 1000watts worth of diodes (crappy ones) driven @ 100 watts
2000, 200
3000, 300
Could be bs either way. Just a way to make something sound better then it is.

3 Likes

Its ment to show equivelency to HPS/MH lights. An sf 4000 is sold as a 4000 watt equivelent. Is it? Not likely.

1 Like

This what happens when unsuspecting Mars owners learn that watts and model numbers don’t matter.

5 Likes

Well he got most the glass in the dumpster :metal:

1 Like

Thanks guys for the responses. It was just something I noticed because even though I know better because I’ve read a ton and talked with you guys over the last few months I could see how it could be confusing to some people.
If it really is comparing to HPS or whatever then that’s pretty bad because how would people know that. Either way I think it’s borderline “wrong” the way they label the lights.

That’s hilarious and I would be super mad as well ( luckily my wife was able to use my blurples but I was still super upset when I found out about those )

1 Like

I basically did the same thing.
We put the blurple 150w light in a cabinet and she keeps a mother plant going in it.
For all its problems growing a flowering plant, keeping a small plant in veg is right in its wheelhouse. She has to as she says “Give it a haircut” every few months but its thriving.
So my errant purchase 3 years ago turned out to be ok.

4 Likes

One of the biggest sale tactic is the ppfd/par charts youll sometimes see the measurement ( usually hard to see too) be something closer then the average 12 inches like 8 or 10 inches to inflate those middle numbers

2 Likes

This is what I have heard the reason for the naming conventions are today. They want you to know what the light you are buying could replace in the ol HPS/HID/CFL lights. @StonedCold13 nailed it. Do more research before spending your money, buyer definitely beware.

2 Likes

Its funny, most independant studies done by 3rd partys, get paid by the company who wants a review,

Think a car company wants bad info published from independant study that they paid for about crash tests.

2 Likes

Fair enough and I always take those with a grain of salt but the whole putting misleading numbers in the models etc is just a different thing to me. Like if Ford Mustang had 5.0 on the side but it’s a 2.4L 4cyl :rofl:.

How often does window sticker that reads 30mpg on the hwy and 20 in the city hold true under our normal driving conditions.

1 Like

You are correct. We did a ton of reseach on ledlights efficent and ended up with this SZHLUX 4000W LED Grow Light 6×6ft Coverage Dual Switch Full Spectrum Grow Lamp for Indoor Plants, Sunlight Plant Light 864 LEDs for Hydroponic Seedling Veg and Bloom Greenhouse Growing Light Fixtures

In our 4x4 foot x 80 inches tent this light covers 100%

Alĺ
The girls are having a hegdehog party. My DlI ìs 38.5 PPFD 785 IT IS THE WAY! dropped the DLI so easy flick one switch. I Grow the girls and it was a learning curve to learn how to adjust the light buy I give it a 10 it uses very little electric 400w full 9 lights on. 6 are on now 12/12 @hours @Vahillbilly @JaneQP @Graysin @Audiofreak @DrWoo @Newt

L

3 Likes

You’re confusing review with report. A random internet or social media review is indeed useless. When you go to a completely different company and hire for their services of course it’s going to cost money. The value of the investment is getting a certified INDUSTRY STANDARD REPORT signed and dated by technician and usually their QA department or supervisor. This isn’t a review lol. This is the standard by which all lighting is tested (not just grow lights) and certified with performing companies reputation on the line.

Imo your arguments today have gone from not very good to completely ridiculous. If you want to pick on someone, make it the people who refuse to conform to the industry standards.

2 Likes

I haven’t picked on anyone. Been called names, told what i can do, ridiculous and condescending, did I leave anything out?

This wasn’t meant to stir up anything everyone I was just pointing something out I have noticed and what it looked like to me as someone who has been in sales a very long time. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

There’s a lot of trickery afoot. Vivosun got me. Won’t happen again. Legally speaking if it’s “mere puffery” the can say whatever they want. But it seems like a lot of it goes well beyond that. The numbers, 2000, 4000, etc. are definitely meant to mislead. I’d hope most people would at least read the specs before buying though.

What gets me is the ppfd charts. You know damn well those are flat out lies. I emailed and asked for the vs2000 ppfd chart and they sent me an email with the ppfd chart for the vs4000. Didn’t say it on the chart though. That was shady. Then found the actual ppfd chart for the 2000. I ended up getting the tent kit with one and when I tested it myself it was nowhere near the chart they use. Maybe it’s some testing method that makes the light look better than it is. Idk. But the vast majority of people know zero about the difference in testing methods.

Ofc now I have a much better understanding of all this stuff. If I had it to do over I’d have gotten a gorilla grow tent, ac infinity smart exhaust system and the HLG 350R to start with. Probably wouldn’t have cost much more than that (expletive deleted) kit. Wish I’d have asked around on here before making the purchase. Live and learn I guess. I’ll always strongly suggest that anyone who asks go ahead and buy the good stuff. Better to cry once.

2 Likes