Single Branch Is Wilting and Dying

All of the sudden an entire branch is wilting and dying with no apparent signs as to the cause. I’ve included photos. As you can see the rest of the plant is healthy and growing just fine. I’m growing outdoors in a raised bed. I’ve used good soil and FoxFarm Grow Big fertilzer. The plant is a clone of a Strawberry variety and was purchased from a friend who is a large grower. I’ve checked to see if there is any sign of insects or mold and I can’t see anything…please help. DSC01805DSC01807DSC01808

Is that “branch” lying in the dirt? any damage to the branch recently?

What’s your watering schedule? Container size and how much water, when?

It looks like it might have took some damage. Are you doing any training like lst or super cropping ? I broke a branch almost off on accident when super cropping and it did the same thing.

Same here only time I have seen this is when a branch broke

As you can see from the photos I sent, the branch was not lying in the dirt, but it is very close to lying in the dirt now that it has wilted. This is actually the 3rd branch to do this. So far, all three branches are branches that are very near to the base of the main stock. All of the sudden one branch wilted like that and I cut the first one off so I could examine it to see if there was any sign of an entry point that an insect may have caused, but there was nothing. Then a couple of days later a second branch wilted and I just left it because it was a small branch and I wanted to see what it would do. After several days it just died. Now the 3rd branch (the one in the photos I sent) has been affected the same way. Its not due to hitting, bending, or breaking the branches because its happening at the base of the plant in places where I don’t go and disturbe the plant at all. If it was a watering issue it would affect several if not all of the branches and leaves and it doesn’t, its just one isolated branch at a time, but I’m afraid that its going to just keep moving up the main steam and keep killing the branches one at a time. As for the container size, as the photos show the plant is in a raised bed, not a container. As for watering, I water based on the temp and how much the soil appears to be dry. Usually 1 gallon of water a day. There is a second plant in the raised bed next to the plant that’s affected and it does not have this issue. If it was soil, watering etc. the other plant would have the same issues and it doesn’t.

I’m sending you the same answer as I sent to Drinkslinger. It is not damage, an no, I’m not doing any training or super cropping. As you can see from the photos I sent, the branch was not lying in the dirt, but it is very close to lying in the dirt now that it has wilted. This is actually the 3rd branch to do this. So far, all three branches are branches that are very near to the base of the main stock. All of the sudden one branch wilted like that and I cut the first one off so I could examine it to see if there was any sign of an entry point that an insect may have caused, but there was nothing. Then a couple of days later a second branch wilted and I just left it because it was a small branch and I wanted to see what it would do. After several days it just died. Now the 3rd branch (the one in the photos I sent) has been affected the same way. Its not due to hitting, bending, or breaking the branches because its happening at the base of the plant in places where I don’t go and disturbe the plant at all. If it was a watering issue it would affect several if not all of the branches and leaves and it doesn’t, its just one isolated branch at a time, but I’m afraid that its going to just keep moving up the main steam and keep killing the branches one at a time. As for the container size, as the photos show the plant is in a raised bed, not a container. As for watering, I water based on the temp and how much the soil appears to be dry. Usually 1 gallon of water a day. There is a second plant in the raised bed next to the plant that’s affected and it does not have this issue. If it was soil, watering etc. the other plant would have the same issues and it doesn’t.

Since you’re growing outside and there is no damage to any branch’s that are dying I’m gonna assume bugs , maybe caterpillars.

The problem with the caterpiller idea is that I’ve searched everywhere on the plants and I can’t see any caterpillers. It seems to me that there might be some kind of a bug that’s either in the soil eating the roots, or some kind of a grub type of a worm that has bored its way into the main stock, or the branch itself and is eating away at the branch from inside and cutting off the flow of nutrients. I was hoping that someone had a problem like this and they knew what caused it, and had a solution for getting rid of it… :frowning:

A friend of mine had a problem with a mouse eating his outdoor plants one by one. Check for gnaw and bite marks near the base.

Yes, I did check for breaks, cut marks, bite marks and entry holes…there is nothing there.

The problem with having two aND using the food nutrients and soil I’d the same aND it’s not affecting the other plant. Plants are individual and different plants mean different phenotype which means plants can and will act different to the same envitonment. But you sound like you know what it isn’t so just figure our why and you will be golden

Do you have any critters , cats or dogs that could be playing in your beds ? Could also be something like a squirrel or chipmunk playing on your plants , I had a chipmunk last year used to run up and down my my plants bending the branches

I don’t have any cats or dogs. It could have been a ground squirrel, but I haven’t seen any near the plants, but its possible.

Are your plants near a regular garden? Seems around 2-3 everyday i find squirrels in the veggies but not the weed. If you have potted veggies maybe move some close to ‘camoflage’ the girls

No, no veggie garden or potted veggie plants near by. The girls live in a raised bed close to shrubs. I think they’ll be okay. There hasn’t been any new damage/dying/welting branches in several weeks.

I having the same exact problem as you…I’ve been searching for answers everywhere and final found this…did you ever figured out what it was. I’m so confused I know I did every did right and all my plants are healthy as it can be but after watering my healthy plants yesterday…I woke up to a drooling wilting branch on one of my girls. The rest of the plant itself along with all the other plants are still good. I don’t wanna lose anymore branches!

The only thing that I could figure out was that I might have hit the branch with the watering can and it cracked it or seperated it from the base where it attaches to the main stock. I couldn’t see anything so I can’t say for sure, but I was far more careful when I watered after that and I haven’t had any other branches that drooped.

I’ve read that as plants get bigger and more energy is directed to the top of the plans some lower branches will seal them selves off inside the plant that could be what was happening

In my situation, the plants were in no way big and so I doubt that was what caused it. I still believe it was from accidently bumping or hitting the branch while watering. When I took more care in watering it didn’t happen again.

Thanks for replying!..here’s the pics of mine…I just hope it’s the same thing…maybe the wind blew it a bit and strip it a little off the main stall…:crossed_fingers:…it’s been two days and I haven’t lost another branch…I have a few plants(same strain)in 4ftx4ft beds and they are pretty big already. Maybe it shut itself off from intaking any water from the rest of the plants I don’t know…we’ll have to wait and see. Any one else have any tips of info feel free to reply…thanks