Simmer time question

First of all thanks to all the experts on this site. Unbelievable knowledge base!!

I made cannabutter yesterday. Followed a recipe I found on Leafly (sorry ilgm). Used 1/2 lb butter, 1 cup water ,14 grams of jack herer (homegrown). Recipe said to simmer 2-3 hours at 160-200 degrees. I simmered for 2:20 and everything went well. But after all said and done all that was left was about 8 ounces of butter. Is this a normal amount or did I cook too long? Thanks in advance for any input. I have no ego on this so criticisms will be okay, just trying to learn. Thanks all.

3 Likes

This is about right, factoring in evaporation etc. butter has a significant amount of water already in it. You definitely would lose some water to evaporation, the only thing that’s left is the part of butter everyone likes. :seedling:

5 Likes

You’ll get better extraction if you use coconut oil FYI. A tablespoon of sunflower lecithin will also help with metabolizing the doctored butter. Coconut oil cooks just like butter as well.

I think you got your ratio right: I used to use 30 grams of flower in the crockpot with 16 oz of oil.

4 Likes

thanks @Myfriendis410. are you saying coconut oil plus sunflower lecithin INSTEAD of butter? then when cooking use this combo just like butter as called for in a recipe? thanks in advance.

2 Likes

thanks @Covertgrower . glad to know i didn’t cook too high or too long. appreciate the feedback.

2 Likes

We do 15g in 8oz of coconut oil for one hour in an Instant Pot cooker.
Pretty much the same as Myfriendis410
Put the oil and weed in a mason jar and place in the instant pot wirh 2 cups of water in the bottom of the cooker. Because its a pressure cooker it cooks the oil at 230 to 240 degree which is a great temp to decarb. The specialized decarb units use the same temps and cost way way more than an instant pot. Plus we can cook other stuff when not decarbing. We decarb multiple jars at one time so we have a few week supply.

2 Likes

Thanks @Spiney_norman. So in your routine you DON’T decarb the weed in the oven before mixing with the oil/butter, right? Water around the mason jar and everything done in an hour? Getting better all the time. thanks so much.

2 Likes

Correct. Normal dried bud and coconut oil with no oven bake at all. My wife likes it ground up so it turns the oil green from chlorophyll, but if you just break up the buds some it will stay fairly clear.
If the buds are dense you might grind it to expose the resin better.

2 Likes

Thanks @Spiney_norman. This is a winner!!

1 Like

Yes. Oil is far more usable than butter too

2 Likes

A tsp of oil in a cup of coffee in the morning will keep the doctors away

4 Likes

This thread just keeps getting better. Thanks @Bluntsmoke

1 Like

In my case it would keep me away cause I couldn’t find my way anywhere.
I made the mistake of eating a dose like that one evening and was stoned for all the next day too.
I am a super lightweight where cannabis is concerned.

3 Likes

Didn’t want to do anything either feeling real lazy right?

2 Likes

I have read through and I have done butter and all of that but coconut oil is so much better it can even stay on the shelf no refrigeration. Now I decarbed in my ardent then goes in the infuser, i use the sunflower lectin to help emulsify the oil. My unit takes an hr. Idid the stove for 3 hrs cooking butter but was always worried I wasnt getting it right wasnt sure of results. I invested a little and it takes the guess work out and coconut oil we have use in waffles water for noodle plus my edibles. I just made a pain ointment that I feel works very well and I have shared it and with good results.
Uploading: 16746871940892780124781914520844.jpg…

I am. When we bake with it we use recipes that call for two sticks of butter so normally we replace one of those with cannabutter.

1 Like

Yep. and kept thinking I was acting different and everyone would notice.

1 Like

quick update and thanks to all for their input. i made cookies using half store butter and half of my newly made and sort of greenish cannabutter. not knowing for sure the potency of the product my wife and i each enthusiastically ate two cookies. big cookies. we were nearly comatose for 12 hours so i think we might have got out over our skis a bit, lol. i’ll try oil next time, but i think i’m going to have to use this concoction sparingly or i’ll simply be another old blob on a couch watching reruns of seinfeld all day. thanks again for all the advice.

1 Like

Or just eat one cookie.

1 Like